A&H

Law change you would make?

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Think we've had this before but prompted to ask after someone posted the same on fans' forum I visit.

Interestingly the thing that seems to get most fans irate is timewasting - plenty of posts asking for a stop/start clock operated independently -as per Rugby and Hockey for example.

Lets try and avoid VAR , as that has been discussed at GREAT length on here.

For me I would simplify the handball law - been made far too complicated now IMHO and 'over defined' if that makes any sense.

I also agree about the timekeeping - mentioned before that I saw a Hockey international last summer - goal celebrations limited to 30 seconds as are penalty corners, time keeping independent and half time lasted exactly 10 minutes - worked as treat!

Any laws, or parts of, that you really want changed?

Over to you?

The Referee Store
Think we've had this before but prompted to ask after someone posted the same on fans' forum I visit.

Interestingly the thing that seems to get most fans irate is timewasting - plenty of posts asking for a stop/start clock operated independently -as per Rugby and Hockey for example.

Lets try and avoid VAR , as that has been discussed at GREAT length on here.

For me I would simplify the handball law - been made far too complicated now IMHO and 'over defined' if that makes any sense.

I also agree about the timekeeping - mentioned before that I saw a Hockey international last summer - goal celebrations limited to 30 seconds as are penalty corners, time keeping independent and half time lasted exactly 10 minutes - worked as treat!

Any laws, or parts of, that you really want changed?

Over to you?

I prefer the rugby timekeeping method - only stop the clock for lengthy delays. However, it will only be a change for the professional game.

I prefer the rugby timekeeping method - only stop the clock for lengthy delays. However, it will only be a change for the professional game.

Yes good point Mr D. Don't think the local FAs would find many willing independent timekeepers! Although no reason why lower down referees (or their assistants) couldn't operate watches on a stop/start basis. If that became the 'known norm' would surely help with the timewasting.

Yes good point Mr D. Don't think the local FAs would find many willing independent timekeepers! Although no reason why lower down referees (or their assistants) couldn't operate watches on a stop/start basis. If that became the 'known norm' would surely help with the timewasting.
I'd probably forget to restart my watch after stopping it 😬. But, time wasting can be deterred by adopting another hockey rule: if a team takes too long to take their restart, the other team is awarded the restart instead.

Advantage

I would like to see the advantage law to be more like rugby. Allow play to keep going for longer, and bring back play if no advantage accrues. So what if a player gets a second bite of the cherry, he shouldn’t have been fouled in the first place.

Perhaps players may show greater willingness to stay on their feet and get a shot away, albeit if off balance having been fouled, if they know they’ll still get the penalty if it misses. Under current law, they are better off going down and getting the pen., than playing on.

Doesn’t just apply to the area, anywhere on the pitch. Must better all round if the game keeps flowing.

Advantage

I would like to see the advantage law to be more like rugby. Allow play to keep going for longer, and bring back play if no advantage accrues. So what if a player gets a second bite of the cherry, he shouldn’t have been fouled in the first place.

Perhaps players may show greater willingness to stay on their feet and get a shot away, albeit if off balance having been fouled, if they know they’ll still get the penalty if it misses. Under current law, they are better off going down and getting the pen., than playing on.

Doesn’t just apply to the area, anywhere on the pitch. Must better all round if the game keeps flowing.

very much agree with this.

Handball....needs to be simple, even if any contact deliberate or not is an offence...like the hockey ball contacting the foot.

i also like in hockey where you can take the equivalent of a throw in, goal kick or free kick to yourself.

Not so much of what to change but what is written to be applied, starting from the top. Apply laws first then manage game/player. Not the other way around.

That way we wont need many changes ppl like to have. For example, time wasting, dissent and diving would not be the problems they are now.

Not so much of what to change but what is written to be applied, starting from the top. Apply laws first then manage game/player. Not the other way around.

That way we wont need many changes ppl like to have. For example, time wasting, dissent and diving would not be the problems they are now.
It's almost as if the problem comes from people not actually following LOTG regardless of what's written in them.
Surely adding two more laws and rewriting five will change that!

Reactions: one
A few to consider:
1. The free-kick after an offside can be taken anywhere behind the line of the offence - to get the game going again
2. Throw-ins anywhere behind the point where the ball leaves the FOP
3. No rebounds for penalties - either goal, corner (if saved and goes out) or goal kick (if missed).
4. Sin bins for delay of game as well as dissent - it would definitely stop it by goal keepers
5. Sin bins in the professional game.....
6. Blue card for sin bin offence, instead of this stupid yellow card and point.

A few to consider:
1. The free-kick after an offside can be taken anywhere behind the line of the offence - to get the game going again
2. Throw-ins anywhere behind the point where the ball leaves the FOP
3. No rebounds for penalties - either goal, corner (if saved and goes out) or goal kick (if missed).
4. Sin bins for delay of game as well as dissent - it would definitely stop it by goal keepers
5. Sin bins in the professional game.....
6. Blue card for sin bin offence, instead of this stupid yellow card and point.
No 4 is possible now. Don't agree with some others but worth considering.

Option to move play 10 yards forward for certain dissent especially referee crowding and if that goes into the box then upgrade it to a penalty!!

Wasn't this trialled a few years ago at some level? It sounded like an excellent idea to me so what happened? It came from rugby but I can't recall seeing it in rugby in recent years either.

But that would eliminate the wonderful scenario where the kick rebounds off the post and the kicker fires home the rebound and as a referee you can bask in the self righteous glory of disallowing the goal knowing that despite the protests you are 100% correct. Never happened to me but I keep hoping.

i also like in hockey where you can take the equivalent of a throw in, goal kick or free kick to yourself.

Agree - as I've said before, saw an international last summer and there is a lot to admire about the speed and simplicity of the game.

Adults are trusted to behave like adults and get treatment for injury without impacting the game and subs allowed to sort themselves out without two officials getting involved, the game being stopped and without any time wasting/'game management' either - who would have thought?

Reactions: es1
Option to move play 10 yards forward for certain dissent especially referee crowding and if that goes into the box then upgrade it to a penalty!!

They tried that but IFAB said it was confusing for Rugby playing nations ……...or was that non rugby playing nations? Either way it was a nonsense argument!

Back