A&H

Intimidation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone already said approach with palms down/hands down
Piano man style. Calm, show them you are calm, and in control by positive body language,
to show or let them hear you are wound up makes them worse and makes it a fight (that you wont win)
when they see you are unrattled, they start to calm down too

soft spoken, piano hands, not saying its the same but as i imagine you would with a suicide bombber, if he is shouting at you, I doubt anyone thinks its good practise to prove your not intimidated by shouting back !!!!

slow, calm, keep a good distance, if need be let them have their 5 second rant, maybe even ask them if they are finished, put a lot of the ball in their court, then gradually pull it all back into yours

You cant go into your work place intimiated, you wont produce your best work
Same goes for the footy pitch

The Referee Store
Someone already said approach with palms down/hands down
Piano man style. Calm, show them you are calm, and in control by positive body language,
to show or let them hear you are wound up makes them worse and makes it a fight (that you wont win)
when they see you are unrattled, they start to calm down too

soft spoken, piano hands, not saying its the same but as i imagine you would with a suicide bombber, if he is shouting at you, I doubt anyone thinks its good practise to prove your not intimidated by shouting back !!!!

slow, calm, keep a good distance, if need be let them have their 5 second rant, maybe even ask them if they are finished, put a lot of the ball in their court, then gradually pull it all back into yours

You cant go into your work place intimiated, you wont produce your best work
Same goes for the footy pitch

I thank you and Big cat for your inputs and will take your comments on board!

Disclaimer, not everything works in every situation....

what i typed is however what I personally consider best practise., of course there will be other methods available in any high street store.

Disclaimer, not everything works in every situation....

what i typed is however what I personally consider best practise., of course there will be other methods available in any high street store.

I understand but for me it's updating my poor practice into best practice

I thank you and Big cat for your inputs and will take your comments on board!
As indicated earlier in this thread; slow it down, invite a 3rd person in (usually the Captain), douse the threat of intimidation and then issue the sanction. Ref can still remain in charge, but in a different way, one which doesn't involve a broken nose
None of this is an exact science however. I've had some good outcomes and some I've regrettably learned from; and many more to come

you get a feel for who you can shout at, and who you cant !!

and as above, its not fool proof.

the same buzz words though should see most situations resolved as best they can though.

What’s the protocol on defending yourself if you’re physically attacked or about to be?

I know a referee scrapping with players isn’t what the authorities want to see however, surely they couldn’t/wouldn’t punish someone defending themselves after all attempts to diffuse the situation have failed? Or am I wrong & the FA expect you to run around getting booted up the backside, as seen on YouTube!

What’s the protocol on defending yourself if you’re physically attacked or about to be?
Run Forest. Run.

I know a referee scrapping with players isn’t what the authorities want to see however, surely they couldn’t/wouldn’t punish someone defending themselves after all attempts to diffuse the situation have failed? Or am I wrong & the FA expect you to run around getting booted up the backside, as seen on YouTube!
If a player is attacked and he defends himself by punching the other guy, would you let him stay in the game because he was defending himself?

It's your choice. Fight back and you get suspended. That's the way in works in the sports fortunately or unfortunately.

Reactions: JH

You can only determine that at the time.

Running away would not be the worst option.
Fighting back, is probably seen as the worst. Dont suppose it matters whether you actually kick the dung out of the other person or not.

The law of the land allows for reasonable self defence. If there's no where to run, you're isolated or the other person is faster than you and you can restrain him then I'm going to restrain him. Absolute last resort and highly unlikely to happen but if someone is violently attacking me im not going to do nothing about it if I feel I can stop the assault. Let's say you were being attacked from a fan who has a weapon. If you can't run away then you need to stop him from using that weapon and forget the uniform you're wearing. You're safety is paramount

The law of the land allows for reasonable self defence. If there's no where to run, you're isolated or the other person is faster than you and you can restrain him then I'm going to restrain him. Absolute last resort and highly unlikely to happen but if someone is violently attacking me im not going to do nothing about it if I feel I can stop the assault. Let's say you were being attacked from a fan who has a weapon. If you can't run away then you need to stop him from using that weapon and forget the uniform you're wearing. You're safety is paramount

That’s more along the lines of my thinking, Ben. Purely self-defence, last-resort. The FA would have some nerve to say anyone is in the wrong for that. After all we’re humans first and foremost.

That’s more along the lines of my thinking, Ben. Purely self-defence, last-resort. The FA would have some nerve to say anyone is in the wrong for that. After all we’re humans first and foremost.

Absolutely. I'm not a violent person and have no desire to get into conflict with anyone. But should you find yourself in the highly unlikely situation where your potentially going to get seriously hurt, do not worry about the fact that you're the referee, it's really not something you should consider in this most unlikely of circumstances

It really comes down to which one you think you prefer. A couple weeks in suspention or a couple of weeks in hospital :D

A no brainer really.

I fought for with fire, I just became a bigger £&@/.
Likewise if they behaved and wanted to play football then I’d let a few things go. You’ve got to read the game on what’s required. Sometimes being a £&@/ helps, other times it can make you look a right dick! It takes practice and eventually it will become easy, let them fear you more than you fearing them. Generally the laws are in your favour!

1554419575899.png

Easily done if you are the guy on the left. Not so much so if you are facing the guy on the left. Pick your fights.

I saw one of my biggest foes at Bramall Lane last Saturday, he introduced me to his 7 year old son saying I was the only ref ever to face him off and card him... I was smiling on the inside and the outside. Nice fella now, I didn’t think that at the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back