A&H

Forest Vs Liverpool

The Referee Store
I’d love to see this incident of the dropped ball to see where it should have been dropped and who to for sure, but can’t find it anywhere.

Mark Clattenburg has now weighed in saying that the referee was incorrect in law by dropping it to the Liverpool keeper.

One thing I will say, and I’m not defending Tierney if it was an error in law, but blaming conceding a goal on a ball being dropped to a goalkeeper is a p*ss poor excuse, but one that is the easy option.

I’d love to see this incident of the dropped ball to see where it should have been dropped and who to for sure, but can’t find it anywhere.

Mark Clattenburg has now weighed in saying that the referee was incorrect in law by dropping it to the Liverpool keeper.

One thing I will say, and I’m not defending Tierney if it was an error in law, but blaming conceding a goal on a ball being dropped to a goalkeeper is a p*ss poor excuse, but one that is the easy option.
It's probably fair to say if the ref drops the ball to forest then Liverpool probably don't score.

It's also 100% accurate to say forest had possession between play restarting and the goal, and two opportunities to clear immediately prior to the goal, and Liverpool had a throw in. So the 'error' doesn't lead to the goal.

What worries me, is players feigning head injuries just so that they can stop the game. That's a really low thing to do. Perhaps the LOTG should be changed, so that any player that suffers this injury should be removed from the FOP so that the medics can take a look at them ?

It's probably fair to say if the ref drops the ball to forest then Liverpool probably don't score.

It's also 100% accurate to say forest had possession between play restarting and the goal, and two opportunities to clear immediately prior to the goal, and Liverpool had a throw in. So the 'error' doesn't lead to the goal.
I'm pretty certain Forest would have clipped it into the corner, and tried to hold it there for the remaining time, so i'm not sure Forest would have needed the opportunities to clear.

This showed the problem with players feigning injury to alleviate the pressure, player got straight back up. Could have even been a penalty. Forrest player clearly had the ball when whistle was blown. The difference between dropping ball to keeper or player on the wing with 90s to play is night and day. It’s a game changer from Tierney

I'm pretty certain Forest would have clipped it into the corner, and tried to hold it there for the remaining time, so i'm not sure Forest would have needed the opportunities to clear.

They wouldn’t have, but that doesn’t mean it’s reasonable to blame a referee for a goal you had plenty of opportunity to avoid.
Es1 sums it up perfectly

Incorrect application of law from Tierney, and not a difficult one to get right, but still doesn’t mean he’s solely responsible for the goal.

They wouldn’t have, but that doesn’t mean it’s reasonable to blame a referee for a goal you had plenty of opportunity to avoid.
Es1 sums it up perfectly

Incorrect application of law from Tierney, and not a difficult one to get right, but still doesn’t mean he’s solely responsible for the goal.
Not solely responsible but he’s had a massive influence and that can’t be right.

Also, of course Clattenburg is going to say the ref was wrong etc...
He's hardly going to say "nah, he's right, we lost fair and square" to his employers.
He needs to justify his wages.

Not solely responsible but he’s had a massive influence and that can’t be right.
I disagree with your use of the word ‘massive’. Forest still largely had their destiny in their own hands.

Also, of course Clattenburg is going to say the ref was wrong etc...
He's hardly going to say "nah, he's right, we lost fair and square" to his employers.
He needs to justify his wages.
He can come out and explain why they are upset without stating that the referee was wrong in law, especially if, as you say, he wasn’t…
Another case of a former referee more than willing to throw current referees under the bus, presumably failing to realise how much harder it is to be a premier league referee now than it was in his day.
(And if somebody says ‘it’s not harder now, they have VAR to save them’ I’ll explode) 😂

Last edited:
Saw another tweet with better sound quality ..

Whistle goes (11 seconds in) BEFORE the ball leaves the area.

I’d not actually seen the entire incident before, only the aftermath. From what I can tell he stops play with the ball in the penalty area? Perhaps it would have been more sensible to delay blowing the whistle until the Forest player had revived the ball on the wing, but he didn’t and so, and I’m happy to be corrected on this if I’m missing something glaringly obvious, it’s the correct decision.

I’d not actually seen the entire incident before, only the aftermath. From what I can tell he stops play with the ball in the penalty area? Perhaps it would have been more sensible to delay blowing the whistle until the Forest player had revived the ball on the wing, but he didn’t and so, and I’m happy to be corrected on this if I’m missing something glaringly obvious, it’s the correct decision.
But if he delays it with a player, for whatever reason, laying on the floor in the middle of the 6 yard box and the cross comes in, that puts him in more danger.
Should have, and clearly did, blow immediately regardless.

According to Sunday Mail reporter Tom Collomosse, "Liverpool keeper should have returned posession "as the rules require" but instead passed to a team-mate"
Clattenburg was last seen wandering around the City ground telling everyone who would listen that he is a qualified referee and he is going to send a report in.

The video from the previously posted link would make it seem he didn’t blow until after the forest player touched the ball on the wing, this is why there’s confusion as to whether or not it was correct

Just watched the incident on MOTD, the whistle isn't blown until the ball gets to the Forest player, he does touch the ball before the whistle. However, Tierney's attention is probably on the 'injured' player, not who touches the ball last.

The drop ball to the keeper is IMHO the easiest and least contentious choice (unless you're a Forest fan). Whilst correct in law, imagine Tierney dropping the ball to a Forest player 20 yards out from goal in the 90+ minute for them to score. Klopp would have a seizure.

There is considerable time between the drop ball and the goal going in, this included Forest trying to dribble the ball out of their own box twice instead of clearing their lines and securing the draw.

If anything, there should be more focus put on Konate for simulation as he goes down holding his head under very minimal contact, Tierney has no choice but to stop the game, however, he could've 'sold' his decision better by waving on the physio for a head injury (IMHO) and having Konate taken off the pitch.

Law 9

The ball is out of play… when play had been stopped by the referee

The LotG do not say “… by the referee’s whistle”.

This is not the first time this has come up. The referee decides when play is stopped.

Re
2. Dropped ball

PROCEDURE

The ball is dropped for the defending team goalkeeper in their penalty area if, when play was stopped:

1. the ball was in the penalty area or
  2. the last touch of the ball was in the penalty area
In all other cases, the referee drops the ball for one player of the team that last touched the ball at the position where it last touched a player, an outside agent or, as outlined in Law 9.1, a match official
All other players (of both teams) must remain at least 4 m (4.5 yds) from the ball until it is in play

I wonder if he blew it before the Forest player touched the ball, or thought he blew it before the Forest player touched the ball?
If so, then he is correct (by what he thought he saw). VAR can't get involved with that.
Remember, his focus has now changed to the injured player, so he may not have realised in that split second Forest may have got the ball as/after he blew meaning Forest restart.

On top of that, is the reason the Liverpool player is down because of a dangerous challenge, whether contact is made or not?

Also, they're moaning about something in the 99th minute, they had 98 other minutes to sco

According to Sunday Mail reporter Tom Collomosse, "Liverpool keeper should have returned posession "as the rules require" but instead passed to a team-mate"
Clattenburg was last seen wandering around the City ground telling everyone who would listen that he is a qualified referee and he is going to send a report in.
He is a qualified referee on Gladiators.

Back