A&H

Everton vs City

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Referees can be denied from entering the FIFA list due to not speaking English?
In 2020, the worst Covid year, I ended up working largely as an AR in the Danish Leagues (my girlfriend is Danish). The authorities in that country were delighted to have a native English speaker who could give them input regarding which of their up and coming referee talents were already appropriately fluent in English (in their pre match and on comms) and which needed a bit more support going forwards.

It's handball
VAR is rubbish
The Greek big derby matches are reffed by foreigners (Finns recently) to avoid accusations and recriminations.

Really? Take it a couple of frames earlier and the ball would be on his chest.

Come on mate we know we have to look at this when contact was made. This is from synched frames from VAR. Part of the ball is on his elbow or at least very very close to it..
View attachment 5482

Good job it was offside then...

1646089102224.png

(From NBC I understand....)

Seriously, is it not daft that only if VAR decided it was handball would they look for offside? There's an assistant VAR - "While the VAR is reviewing an incident, if play is continuing to proceed, the AVAR will monitor the match for any further incidents" - but if the game is stopped, couldn't the AVAR be checking for any infringement in the move leading to the incident the VAR is looking at?

And any explanation yet for the IDFK for offside being taken in the PA rather than on the wing?

Good job it was offside then...

View attachment 5483

(From NBC I understand....)

Seriously, is it not daft that only if VAR decided it was handball would they look for offside? There's an assistant VAR - "While the VAR is reviewing an incident, if play is continuing to proceed, the AVAR will monitor the match for any further incidents" - but if the game is stopped, couldn't the AVAR be checking for any infringement in the move leading to the incident the VAR is looking at?

And any explanation yet for the IDFK for offside being taken in the PA rather than on the wing?
This is possibly the worst offside visual ever produced

It looks the best you'll get for this incident! There's a bit of an omerta on it in England.
Yep I agree, but it’s been and gone now. As a fellow city fan I can assure you that you don’t to justify the decision that Kavanagh gave

I know we shouldn't make decision based on player reactions but they do tell a story 🤣

View attachment 5484

Bernardo also had a go at Rodri for being do careless whilst we were going through the VAR check. We've got away with one but I'm not sure what the complaints achieve? We can all think of times where the other team got away with one too (Pickford on VVD).

For me it's about having VARs who do that role exclusively.

What a joke of a decision. That would always be handball in any level of the game and in any country...by why not the Premier League ? who came up with this line on the arm, anyway ? is it in the Laws of the Game, now ?

An apology has come from PGMOL: Can’t imagine that Chris Kavanagh feels too pleased, must feel like a stab in the back.

Probably as unpleased as Riley having to make the apology....

everyones situation will be different but if I mess up badly in my job, my boss will probably need to contact the customer, internal or external, and apologise.

that aside, these calls are common place, usually in confidence.

Last edited:
I'll raise you a
You're clutching at straws now - that's a still from before the ball hits his arm. It's also a bad angle as any image taken from that angle is going to make the ball look as if it's further up the arm than it is.

If you watch a video of the incident you can easily see where the ball was at the moment of contact. The still I posted captures that instant.

In any event, the PGMOL has already come out and admitted the decision was wrong.

So it's only worth an apology when City get a dodgy VAR decision? (Dawson's goal? "The decision to allow West Ham United’s late equaliser against Leicester City was a 'subjective' one, according to former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher.")

Now they've said it was handball, can they now check if it was offside?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back