A&H

Everton vs City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably as unpleased as Riley having to make the apology....

everyones situation will be different but if I mess up badly in my job, my boss will probably need to contact the customer, internal or external, and apologise.

that aside, these calls are common place, usually in confidence.
The premier league isn’t a normal business though. In a normal job you don’t have millions of people all across the world watching, criticising you and calling you every name under the sun. Millions of people have seen and know that Kavanagh made a mistake, there’s no need to further humiliate him like this, it ain’t doing anyone any good, only Riley who gets to lick the arse of Everton’s big boys to keep himself in a job.

The Referee Store
The premier league isn’t a normal business though. In a normal job you don’t have millions of people all across the world watching, criticising you and calling you every name under the sun. Millions of people have seen and know that Kavanagh made a mistake, there’s no need to further humiliate him like this, it ain’t doing anyone any good, only Riley who gets to lick the arse of Everton’s big boys to keep himself in a job.

i cant imagine this was meant to have been made public though

So it's only worth an apology when City get a dodgy VAR decision? (Dawson's goal? "The decision to allow West Ham United’s late equaliser against Leicester City was a 'subjective' one, according to former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher."

Now they've said it was handball, can they now check if it was offside?
Did you formally complain?
The only reason an apology has been issued here is in response to a complaint. Fairly standard stuff. That's all that PGMOL can do really. They aren't going to apologise everytime an incorrect decision is given (unless a formal complaint is received everytime).
Let's face it, wrong decisions as bad as this one are few and far between.
I'm worried that a currently registered referee doesn't know this.
Yep. Me too.
My main concern with it is the diagram does not match the writing as mine and I guess your, and everyone else's armpits do not reach the bottom of my sleeves and often these days the sleeve extends much of the way to the elbow so IMHO the diagram in the law book is somewhat misleading in that it portrays a shirt sleeve when that is not actually what it is meant to be indicating.

So the gripe should be with Evertons side for taking the call to the media......

Reactions: es1
So the gripe should be with Evertons side for taking the call to the media......
Nope, Riley should know that every premier league club and boardroom is like a sieve, it was always gonna be leaked. No need to hit a man whilst he's down. I accept that an apology should be made but let it blow over a bit more

Nope, Riley should know that every premier league club and boardroom is like a sieve, it was always gonna be leaked. No need to hit a man whilst he's down. I accept that an apology should be made but let it blow over a bit more
Quick search shows that Chris Kavanagh has a middle tonight. You'd think Riley would at least wait until he'd done that game

so when approached, the manager of the referees is to

a- blank the call and hope it goes away
b - tell the caller the decision not to award a pk was correct
c- tell the caller a pk should have been given

so when approached, the manager of the referees is to

a- blank the call and hope it goes away
b - tell the caller the decision not to award a pk was correct
c- tell the caller a pk should have been given
1646133774357.png
I'm sure relegation battling Everton are overjoyed that they now have an official apology from PGMOL's big boy Mike Riley

Did you formally complain?
The only reason an apology has been issued here is in response to a complaint. Fairly standard stuff. That's all that PGMOL can do really. They aren't going to apologise everytime an incorrect decision is given (unless a formal complaint is received everytime).
There will be a lot more requests for apologies now.

It doesn't help when we get "T-shirt line" and "more in the green zone than the red zone" as if these were things in the law.

There will be a lot more requests for apologies now.

It doesn't help when we get "T-shirt line" and "more in the green zone than the red zone" as if these were things in the law.
Exactly.

We're in this position because an official got a relatively easy decision wrong, and a FA-affiliated twitter account tried to justify it by making up nonsense. The attempts to mitigate this have made it worse than just fronting up to human error, and damaged everyone involved's credibility in the process.

View attachment 5486
I'm sure relegation battling Everton are overjoyed that they now have an official apology from PGMOL's big boy Mike Riley

Hilarious and I cant recall making reference to the situation Everton are in

so your answer to the legitimate senario posed is, a meme of the shopkeeper from the Simpsons.

Pgmol say nothing, accused of being closed shop etc
Manager attempts communication, shocking he is hanging referees out to dry

Going to take an educated guess the first person consulted will have been the var, and, in personal experience of these apology calls, as we should do in most refereeing matters, its depersonalised, its not Mr K we are finding fault with, but, the role he is in.

bigger picture I think we are overlooking the basis to most of lives problems, prevention, being better than the cure. Get that ( simple) call right, we dont have the rest.

Nobody with an iota of football knowledge subscribes to the, that refusal of a pk relagates us notion, surprised to see it on a referee site

Last edited:
So it's only worth an apology when City get a dodgy VAR decision? (Dawson's goal? "The decision to allow West Ham United’s late equaliser against Leicester City was a 'subjective' one, according to former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher.")

Now they've said it was handball, can they now check if it was offside?
With the amount of dodgy calls City get their way, an apology had to be offered at some point 😉

As others have said, an apology is only gonna happen when a team complains. And only if it’s as obviously wrong as this was. Last time I can remember it happening was when Lo Celso didn’t get red carded against Chelsea in 2020

With the amount of dodgy calls City get their way, an apology had to be offered at some point 😉

As others have said, an apology is only gonna happen when a team complains. And only if it’s as obviously wrong as this was. Last time I can remember it happening was when Lo Celso didn’t get red carded against Chelsea in 2020
QPR have received at least half a dozen apologies in the last two seasons - according to the manager in any case.

QPR have received at least half a dozen apologies in the last two seasons - according to the manager in any case.

Managers will often (mis)quote things from the match delegates report. The match delegate will generally be an ex-player who won't have anything to do with refereeing.

Half a dozen may be stretching it but there have been 2 really obvious mistakes - one I mentioned above - so not surprised if there was an apology or two received.

This is where the complete radio silence from PGMOL managers really doesn't help. In other countries the referee managers do TV or other media interviews interviews, but in England they are totally and utterly invisible unless it is propoganda based.

What's the bet on getting this wrong has more to do with the bad directives PGMOL referees recieve and less on Kavanagh?

It's good to see you are still up to your old tricks and find City a victim no matter what the situation 😉
You can hardly call City the victim here, and I'm not.

I'm just saying that if it wasn't City benefitting it wouldn't have had all this hyperbole about worst VAR decision ever. I've already posted about worse ones (Plymouth in the cup last year and the Dawson goal).

Oh, and that it's a bit suspicious that neither Sky nor the BBC have even discussed whether Richarlison was offside, so I'd like an apology from PGMOL for not clearing that up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back