A&H

Euros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, his VAR team is extremely slow. There's a noticeable difference between Premier League trained VARs and other VARs.
I don't think he will necessarily work with "his" VAR team or any referee will. The best performing ref team with best performing VAR team would make most sense

The Referee Store
I don't think he will necessarily work with "his" VAR team or any referee will. The best performing ref team with best performing VAR team would make most sense
Yes, but this is UEFA that we are talking about. Sense is a word they can't translate into their own language....

I hate those types of incidents where there is no attempt whatsoever to play the ball. That isn't a reckless challenge, it was deliberately kicking an opponent and I absolutely support a red card for it.

I understand why you or anyone else supports a red for that tackle, I've been on both ends many times. But a red is inconsistent with how this type of foul has been sanctioned previously and without specific new guidance I'm surprised that a red was awarded and I think the players were too. We will see more of these as the tournament progresses and I'll be amazed if we see anymore reds.

I would support new guidance on giving reds for these type of challenges, they are cynical and if you're not already on a yellow they're a free opportunity to take your frustrations out on a player at the end of a game you're losing

I can easily get behind a VC send-off here. Clearly not an attempt to play the ball and a definite "send a message" or "eff you" kick. While we may look at this and say "not enough brutality" or "maybe a challenge for the ball", this type of play is just a purely cynical play borne out of frustration. It's the equivalent of a play in a basketball game where the defender really wipes out a player going to the basket without any real attempt to make a real play. No problems whatsoever with a send off on this, as this shouldn't be a part of the game.

But this was not that. It was VC disguised as a challenge for the ball. And the referee didn't fall for it. This is one you could see coming.

But I can see why it seems harsh. The speed and intensity was not as much by the time contact was made and the amount of contact was generally justifiable for reckless only. But I am happy to support a red considering the context. The game was done and over by that stage. No chance of a Wales comeback and it's one of those that the referee need to command control to ensure the safety of players. Being proactive rather than reactive. In this instance the referee decides with the strongest message possible and given that it had no impact to the outcome of the game, I am more than happy to accept it.

Put it this way, no chance this tackle would have happened in the the first 10 minutes of the game and if it did, no chance the ref would have sent off for it.
Fair enough, I can see why you would support the decision in this case. I just think we’d struggle to justify giving a red in those circumstances as football doesn’t really expect it from a ‘tackle’ like that, and the law *mostly* backs up a caution. Maybe some more clarification will be given soon from FIFA.

Last edited:
I understand why you or anyone else supports a red for that tackle, I've been on both ends many times. But a red is inconsistent with how this type of foul has been sanctioned previously and without specific new guidance I'm surprised that a red was awarded and I think the players were too. We will see more of these as the tournament progresses and I'll be amazed if we see anymore reds.

I would support new guidance on giving reds for these type of challenges, they are cynical and if you're not already on a yellow they're a free opportunity to take your frustrations out on a player at the end of a game you're losing
Best post in the thread Ben
It should be red, but many precedents have always been yellow. Clarification for this type of incident is needed and they should be telling us to dismiss

It should be red, but many precedents have always been yellow. Clarification for this type of incident is needed and they should be telling us to dismiss

I think its inevitable that clarification for this type of tackle being a red will come in the not top distant future. But its not here now and therefore its a yellow imo

I think language will come into it. Yes, most/all of the top European referees speak very good English. but there are nuances to every language, and especially when discussing technical aspects of the LOTG where the correct word/definition/ad adjective is so important I think the refereeing teams and VAR need to be from the same country.

I think language will come into it. Yes, most/all of the top European referees speak very good English. but there are nuances to every language, and especially when discussing technical aspects of the LOTG where the correct word/definition/ad adjective is so important I think the refereeing teams and VAR need to be from the same country.
Fifa refs have to speak English fluently so there really shouldn't be an issue.. Often the 4th official is from a different nation. Had happened a lot in this tournament

Couldn’t agree more.

I think its inevitable that clarification for this type of tackle being a red will come in the not top distant future. But its not here now and therefore its a yellow imo
Don't hold your breath. You would never get an official statement saying that something is yellow in the first 10 minutes but red in the last 5 minutes. This decision had a lot more to do with the 'context' than the 'contact'.

If you like, call it an orange and asking for clarification why an orange tackle should go one way or other. It wont come.

Good point but it’s possible that a non-native speaker could understand those nuances if they are used to the language.

This same situation was argued before.

Was it a tackle for the ball or a direct VC kick? I think the latter.

Whilst I respect the view of anyone that thinks it is a caution, there can't possibly be anyone that thinks it was a tackle for the ball. The ball was long gone and Wilson wasn't even looking at it, he only had eyes for the opposing player. From the referee's position he can see how far away the ball was, all he has seen is a player deliberately kick an opponent.

1624797361840.png

Whilst I respect the view of anyone that thinks it is a caution, there can't possibly be anyone that thinks it was a tackle for the ball. The ball was long gone and Wilson wasn't even looking at it, he only had eyes for the opposing player. From the referee's position he can see how far away the ball was, all he has seen is a player deliberately kick an opponent.

View attachment 5029
That's how i saw it.

View attachment 5029
I agree. It's just that all precedents have been Yellow. As far as the EPL is concerned anyway. I think these should be red. This type of misconduct is more likely to cause us big problems at grass roots than in these televised games. As things are however, most people expected a caution

I agree. It's just that all precedents have been Yellow. As far as the EPL is concerned anyway. I think these should be red. This type of misconduct is more likely to cause us big problems at grass roots than in these televised games. As things are however, most people expected a caution
Now you have seen it in replay do you still say YOU expect a caution here? For me it strays into VC for kicking (striking) and opponent.

Fifa refs have to speak English fluently so there really shouldn't be an issue.. Often the 4th official is from a different nation. Had happened a lot in this tournament
4th official doesn't often have to make, or at least advise,
on, game deciding incidents! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back