A&H

Euros

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
The standard has been very high in the tournament. It would appear to my untrained eye that if you make a mistake then you're done for. Tough at the top but what a fantastic position for those that appoint the officials to be in

From what I've seen on Twitter about Rosetti's press conference, it's been confirmed that it was offside that was incorrectly given from the corner in the Turkey v Italy game, and also that they were incorrect not to give a penalty for the handball shout just before half time (not sure I'd agree with that!)

No official sources though.
That was Makkelie though

The standard has been very high in the tournament. It would appear to my untrained eye that if you make a mistake then you're done for. Tough at the top but what a fantastic position for those that appoint the officials to be in

If this was truly the case, then Danny Makkelie and his crew would have been sent home. The incorrect offside decision in Italy-Turkey was a technical error related to Law 11.

I'm not trying to drag down Makkelie and his team here. I think he's a fantastic referee. But it does show even the best teams have brain locks at times. I'd place more weight on technical errors than subjective decisions, all else equal.

I like the Rapallini choice for France-Switzerland. I think he's done well in the Euros so far. On paper, this should be a reasonably competitive game with some regional rivalry associated with it. I also like that it appears Rapallini isn't being treated differently than the other referees just because he's the exchange referee. I would imagine there are some people who aren't happy about a CONMEBOL referee doing a knockout game, but once there Rapallini shouldn't be treated any differently than any other referee on the roster.

Robbie Savage's inability to be professional or objective and his complete lack of knowledge of the laws of the game demonstrated in a nutshell "That's not a yellow card, yes it's an elbow, but it's unintentional". :wall:

Reactions: Kes
Red card there, what do we think?
Can see the argument for both red and yellow, can be EF, but point of contact is back of the foot and not dangerous.

Red card there, what do we think?
Can see the argument for both red and yellow, can be EF, but point of contact is back of the foot and not dangerous.
I’m not arguing with the referee on the red card for Wilson. Ridiculous tackle, nowhere near the ball, lost his head, i think there is a very valid argument for SFP for the reasons I just listed. I understand why it would be a yellow more often than not though.

I know he’s lost his head and gone in quickly, but I see absolutely no reasoning whatsoever for a red card. Nowhere near enough actual contact, only just clips the outside of his boot. Poor decision imo, surprised by those defending it.

Had it not been Wilson’s knee that caught the player I’d have agreed with red. Stupid challenge regardless.

as for the second goal, there was plenty of chances to clear the ball before that.

In real time and normal speed I thought Wilson's challenge looked cynical and nasty. Totally needless and a classic sign of a team and player who had lost their heads. Slow Mo replays made it look a bit harsh. Bale probably should have got a yellow for his complaints, rightly carded a few moments later for his sarcastically applauding the referee after giving away a foul.

I know he’s lost his head and gone in quickly, but I see absolutely no reasoning whatsoever for a red card. Nowhere near enough actual contact, only just clips the outside of his boot. Poor decision imo, surprised by those defending it.
Like I said,

Like I said, I understand why it would normally be a yellow but I do understand the ref giving a red in this situation. Probably the lowest grade red I could get behind though.

Think this has been the first game this tournament where I've thought the officials have had a poor game.

Clear foul leading up to the second goal, and never a red card IMO. Few other minor decisions I also disagreed with. Given how long VAR took going over the fourth Danish goal, and how tight it was, I was surprised they didn't stick with the on-field decision.

Like I said, I understand why it would normally be a yellow but I do understand the ref giving a red in this situation. Probably the lowest grade red I could get behind though.
I get that this challenge feels mean-spirited and cynical, but that doesn’t change the fact that objectively it simply doesn’t fulfil the SFP criteria, there is really very little contact. A yellow card and a strong reprimand is necessary. The decision also wasn’t very befitting of Siebert’s laissez-faire approach to the game as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back