The Ref Stop

County cup appointments

The Ref Stop
If you don’t want to travel further distances, don’t put yourself down for County Cup games…….

You have to opt out via email for each closed date in our county. Then I have a system where I have to opt in another where I opt out all seems a bit too overcomplicated to me but all part of the fun I guess!

You have to opt out via email for each closed date in our county. Then I have a system where I have to opt in another where I opt out all seems a bit too overcomplicated to me but all part of the fun I guess!
That’s where the admin side of things comes in. People don’t tend to realise how difficult it can be, as different leagues as well as different counties will have different processes and systems.

Ironically it gets easier as you move up the ranks, as everyone will just go vis MOAS

Last edited:
I always tell the ARs to pack their passport 😂 50% success rate on it tbh.

(Not a British national so all these games are abroad to me anyway) 😂
If you ref a game on any of the 3 channel islands always pack your passport (can get diverted to France in bad weather) and overnight bag. I've sat in an airport for 6 hours and then gone home when it got cancelled and flown to the wrong island with no way of getting back other than a boat 24 hours later and I've only been here a year. The joys of Island football

If you ref a game on any of the 3 channel islands always pack your passport (can get diverted to France in bad weather) and overnight bag. I've sat in an airport for 6 hours and then gone home when it got cancelled and flown to the wrong island with no way of getting back other than a boat 24 hours later and I've only been here a year. The joys of Island football
Had Guernsey once. What a day out 😂

That’s where the admin side of things comes in. People don’t tend to realise how difficult it can be, as different leagues as well as different counties will have different processes and systems.

Ironically it gets easier as you move up the ranks, as everyone will just go vis MOAS
This is definitely a big issue. Having so many different admin methods confuses some officials who don't keep up to date. Thankfully my CFA uses 1 system for all their County Cups, rather than one per cup, but there are still other methods for individual leagues. I also know that my CFA also lets us state our preferred maximum driving time and they consider this where possible (I don't think you can say less than 30 mins - I go 45 purely because it's not me that has to drive, so it's unreasonable to go much more). I don't know why more don't do this. They don't necessarily have to stick to it completely, but it does help.

Last season I helped out at short notice on a couple of county cup games ( one was a QF and one was a SF). These were the rough distances involved... (No expenses last season).

44 miles ew for the QF, currently says about an hour and quarter driving each way. Can't remember the match fee. This went to pens. Think around 30 were taken. Finished about 13-12. CAR's.

74 miles ew for the SF. Currently an hour and three quarters driving each way. This was for £50. Half of it went on fuel I worked out. And it chucked it down. And it were freezing.

Did it get me a CC Final at the end of the season? No 😂😂 but it was nice to get a game and different teams that I wouldn't normally get, and I enjoy driving so didn't mind.

You just have to take the rough with the smooth where you can.

Last edited:
Each to their own really… for me I don’t really see the county cup as being a bigger deal than any other game, so if it’s not worth the drive then so be it

Fortunately for me I live pretty central in Suffolk so I generally don't get sent more than 30-40 mins away from home, which doesn't bother me as I always look forward to the county cups.

I was sent to Lowestoft for 4th man last year which is over an hour each way and while I was a bit concerned I realised both the Ref and AR2 were local so got a lift with them. If the travelling is something that bothers you then reject it but I think showing the dedication will improve the chances of a final appointment.

Back