A&H

ARS BOU some handballs

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Amazing match. Should be first on MotD!

The story will be about the 1st and 97th min goals.

But buried in the 2nd half there were two big handball moments.

For me, both were obvious offences. Hand above the shoulder in both cases, shot on target in both cases. Both Bournemouth players close to the goal line. Shocked here that they were not given. The second was so blatant it was funny.

If they hadn’t won these would have been the story. It will be hard for Arsenal if other teams are allowed 3 goalkeepers!

The Referee Store
Neither penalties IMO

First One - whilst his arm is up, the ball hits the arm so high up - almost his shoulder. The T-shirt rule would apply.

Second One - arm is fully tucked, doesn’t make himself larger - the definition of natural position, so no handball!

(p.s. I am an Arsenal fan too - not even I could argue these as handballs!)

The first half handball was more of a handball. No real excuse. Watches it drop on his arm and cushioned it nicely to clear it. Ref would most certainly give that outside of the box 100%.

The most obvious for me was Tomiyasu being kicked when he was playing the ball back.

Neither penalties IMO

First One - whilst his arm is up, the ball hits the arm so high up - almost his shoulder. The T-shirt rule would apply.

Second One - arm is fully tucked, doesn’t make himself larger - the definition of natural position, so no handball!

(p.s. I am an Arsenal fan too - not even I could argue these as handballs!)
T-shirt rule?!? The arm is defined for HB as starting at the bottom of the arm pit, which is appreciably higher than where a T-shirt falls. But it is a very difficult measurement to apply when the arm is extended. IMO, this hits where it would be a HB, not above that point. I think in many places VAR would consider it a HB offense.

First one I could understand if given, don't think not giving it classifies as a clear and obvious error though, certainly not in the Howard Webb era of minimal intervention.

Second one I don't think is a handball, his arm is tucked into his body.

First one, you can see he's using his arm movement to gain elevation. To me this is a natural movement and not a penalty. Second one, not a penalty.

If I speak, I'm in trouble (on this forum) but... Bournemouth's first goal shouldn't have stood.

Attachments

• FqZLzDzWIAEKa7x.png
    FqZLzDzWIAEKa7x.png
    222.8 KB · Views: 33
Footage of the incidents are here and here.

I'm an Arsenal fan so I'm going to keep my own counsel for the moment.
First clip is another one I had forgotten (no for me, justifiable).

The second clip is the “first in the OP” - for me he blocks a goal bound shot with his elbow.

The “second in the OP” is Billings doing jazz hands close to the goal line. I can’t find a video.

The Billings one is 80th min from the corner after the elbow.

My phone won’t let me capture a still.

Both his hands are up. It’s so blatant and unnatural…

This is the most clear for me.
Tomiyasu trying to lay it off to Saka and the Bournemouth player kicks through Tomiyasu to clear the ball.

All player, no ball
FqZUR2WX0AIqLkO.jpeg

I stand corrected.
This is why people get frustrated though. This is a refereeing forum, so when blatantly incorrect posts are made heads will shake.

If you are a referee you really should know the laws, if you aren't a referee I would question why you are on here. This isn't meant to be a criticism, rather trying to direct you towards the correct online resources.

Get off the patronising high horse, will you?I humbly admitted my mistake - an approach I can't see from many prominent users of this forum - and here you are triumphing.
This is a refereeing forum and you posted, yet again on an Arsenal game, that there is no requirement for handling to be intentional, when the law says absolutely the opposite.

I'll ask again, are you actually a referee?

Back