A&H

ARS BOU some handballs

This is a refereeing forum and you posted, yet again on an Arsenal game, that there is no requirement for handling to be intentional, when the law says absolutely the opposite.

I'll ask again, are you actually a referee?
I can answer that for you, RustyRef - Mr Malinski has stated on Twitter recently that he is not a qualified referee, but states that he has refereed and acted as assistant referee on Under-12's games.
Sadly by coming on to a refereeing forum to spout his ignorance of the laws of the game, he may confuse some of our newer colleagues - all of whom know the law about handling deliberately.

The Referee Store
An interesting but not surprising revelation. I standby my previous AFTV fanboy comment.

I can answer that for you, RustyRef - Mr Malinski has stated on Twitter recently that he is not a qualified referee, but states that he has refereed and acted as assistant referee on Under-12's games.
Sadly by coming on to a refereeing forum to spout his ignorance of the laws of the game, he may confuse some of our newer colleagues - all of whom know the law about handling deliberately.
I wonder if this forum has got any actual boundaries. What next, you will tell me you know where I live and have seen photos of my wife and kids? Can I ask the moderator to to the decent thing and reprimand the poster above for crossing the boundaries of my privacy?

If you've posted that you're not a referee on social media then it's in the public domain.

FWIW I quite like having non-referees, especially players, take part in this forum. And I agree that you made a mistake and took your L like a man. I don't know why Rusty got so upset. Qualified referees make mistakes in law too. (Although I hope not such basic errors very often.)

I wonder if this forum has got any actual boundaries. What next, you will tell me you know where I live and have seen photos of my wife and kids? Can I ask the moderator to to the decent thing and reprimand the poster above for crossing the boundaries of my privacy?
You post on Twitter with the same user name, so you put that information into the public domain. I'm qualified in digital forensics, but I didn't need to use any of those skills to work this out.

If you've posted that you're not a referee on social media then it's in the public domain.

FWIW I quite like having non-referees, especially players, take part in this forum. And I agree that you made a mistake and took your L like a man. I don't know why Rusty got so upset. Qualified referees make mistakes in law too. (Although I hope not such basic errors very often.)

I didn't get upset, but we repeatedly get complaints when there are fan posts, and I will make absolutely no apologies for calling people out on it. I support a team, and we have had some shocking decisions go against us, but you won't find any record of me bleating about it on here, but you will if you go to the correct fan's site.

I already replied to Rusty privately and am hoping that that as a moderator he can go above our petty differences and so the right thing. Just because I post on twitter under the same name, doesn't mean this info can be reposted elsewhere. If the stalker finds photos of my family under my name, does that him the right to repost them here just because they're in the public domain?

I already replied to Rusty privately and am hoping that that as a moderator he can go above our petty differences and so the right thing. Just because I post on twitter under the same name, doesn't mean this info can be reposted elsewhere. If the stalker finds photos of my family under my name, does that him the right to repost them here just because they're in the public domain?
What you post on the internet is down to you. If you post on here and someone ties it to the same user name on a different social media that is down to you.

Well you're getting it wrong but you have just shown that the forum has no standards or you are unwilling to uphold them. I think that getting my personal info from another platform and posting it on here is intimidating and crosses boundaries of netiquette. Anyway, you have achieved your objective and I will not be posting here again. All I ask is that the offending post is deleted. I did have my views which many didn't like - that's fine. I don't think I ever turned it into a personal attack like the above poster has done.

Well you're getting it wrong but you have just shown that the forum has no standards or you are unwilling to uphold them. I think that getting my personal info from another platform and posting it on here is intimidating and crosses boundaries of netiquette. Anyway, you have achieved your objective and I will not be posting here again. All I ask is that the offending post is deleted. I did have my views which many didn't like - that's fine. I don't think I ever turned it into a personal attack like the above poster has done.
Sorry, no case to answer here. The poster you refer to has just commented on what you have posted on a publicly available social media site. There is no "personal attack", no idea where you think that has come from.

T-shirt rule?!? The arm is defined for HB as starting at the bottom of the arm pit, which is appreciably higher than where a T-shirt falls. But it is a very difficult measurement to apply when the arm is extended.
I would have to disagree. The laws have an illustration designed specifically to show which parts of the arm are and are not within the parameters for a handling offence when the arm is extended. Here it is.

Screenshot_2023_0306_162018.png

Based on that, in the incident under discussion and from what I remember of the replays, I would lean towards it not being a handling offence .

I would have to disagree. The laws have an illustration designed specifically to show which parts of the arm are and are not within the parameters for a handling offence when the arm is extended. Here it is.

View attachment 6422

Based on that, in the incident under discussion and from what I remember of the replays, I would lean towards it not being a handling offence .
I agree, and this is a law change that really hasn't helped referees. With the previous law it was generally easy to determine if the ball had hit the arm, now it is anything but if it hits high up the arm.

View attachment 6422

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with me about. The picture shows exactly what I said and what the text of Law 12 says: "in line with the bottom of the armpit." That's not the same as any t-shirt I wear, and talking about t-shirts gets players moving the line further down the arm than it actually is. (I've heard players say it was OK because it "hit the bicep"--which, of course, goes down lower than the bottom of the arm pit.)

I agree, and this is a law change that really hasn't helped referees. With the previous law it was generally easy to determine if the ball had hit the arm, now it is anything but if it hits high up the arm.
100% this. once the arm is extended, where "in line with the bottom of the armpit" is pretty hard to discern, and even with video is not clear, which was the point I was trying to make.

That's not the same as any t-shirt I wear, and talking about t-shirts gets players moving the line further down the arm than it actually is. (I've heard players say it was OK because it "hit the bicep"--which, of course, goes down lower than the bottom of the arm pit.)
The diagram on the LOTG were recently updated, last season I think. The old diagram did not really marry up with the text and I think lead to confusion caused by misapplication. Heard so many referees referring to the sleeve which has always been irrelevant in the text.

Back