The Ref Stop

Wolves vs City

As I said, my views are subjective and anecdotal. Select examples stemming from exceptionalism don’t change that.

My original comment was in this particular circumstance, it looks amateurish for a referee to be speaking side by side with an AR. I have only seen elite coaches question this sort of action and never endorse it.
I was thinking about this again last night and I can actually sort of grasp a little bit why it perhaps wouldn't be a great idea to go over.

Imagined this conversation then gets replayed on Mic'd up, you can imagine what the general public would say!

AR: I've got Bernado Silva in an offside position, do you think he's in the line of sight?
CK: He's stood in front of the keeper as the header comes in, for me he possibly is
AR: That's offside for me then, happy for me to signal?
CK: Hold on a minute, I'm gonna come over and chat to you to sell it
CK: Bernado Silva was in the line of sight of the keeper from the header, happy to award offside?
AR: Yes confirmed.
*AR Raises Flag*

OK it might not go down exactly like that, but it probably would look a bit odd played back.

The Ref Stop
But at step 5, really? It is so transient at that level there is no concept of a big team, it changes every season. How would your subconscious decide whether ****fosters and Milton Keynes Irish who current occupy the top two places are bigger than the likes of Dunstable Town who have operated at a much higher level and have much more history, but sit in the lower part of the league?
Well, I've refereed in front of 800 spectators at Step 5 (Jersey Bulls), although that is an exception to the rule
Usually the sides at the top of the league are significantly more difficult to referee than those at the bottom. It's not just their superior football that gets them promoted, it's the pressure they put in the referee and the way they intimidate their opponents
Anyway, I don't need to tell you that. I'm 3rd year L4 now and was referring back to one of the games I did in the first year as a L4. Even then, the game in question was not a massive issue, I just failed to give the bottom side a PK (which I ought to have given) when I reviewed it on Veo (then reflected on what might have influenced that decision). There's still plenty of scope to have decisions influenced at Step 5 (or even Step 6), although I'm pretty hardened to it all now with plenty of games under my belt

I just think that anyone who can relate to what I'm saying is less likely to be influenced by subconscious bias themselves

I've long since thought that we stop improving (aside from marginal tweaks) as referees after a certain number of years, beyond which the process is largely one of hardening ourselves to do the same sh1t under more and more pressure

Last edited:
Well, I've refereed in front of 800 spectators at Step 5 (Jersey Bulls), although that is an exception to the rule
Usually the sides at the top of the league are significantly more difficult to referee than those at the bottom. It's not just their superior football that gets them promoted, it's the pressure they put in the referee and the way they intimidate their opponents
Anyway, I don't need to tell you that. I'm 3rd year L4 now and was referring back to one of the games I did in the first year as a L4. Even then, the game in question was not a massive issue, I just failed to give the bottom side a PK (which I ought to have given) when I reviewed it on Veo (then reflected on what might have influenced that decision). There's still plenty of scope to have decisions influenced at Step 5 (or even Step 6), although I'm pretty hardened to it all now with plenty of games under my belt

I just think that anyone who can relate to what I'm saying is less likely to be influenced by subconscious bias themselves

I've long since thought that we stop improving (aside from marginal tweaks) as referees after a certain number of years, beyond which the process is largely one of hardening ourselves to do the same sh1t under more and more pressure
No one can ever stop improving (so long as they want to) because of the ever evolving game & Laws. Sometimes as you say it may only require small tweaks, but other times it may require more.

I was thinking about this again last night and I can actually sort of grasp a little bit why it perhaps wouldn't be a great idea to go over.

Imagined this conversation then gets replayed on Mic'd up, you can imagine what the general public would say!

AR: I've got Bernado Silva in an offside position, do you think he's in the line of sight?
CK: He's stood in front of the keeper as the header comes in, for me he possibly is
AR: That's offside for me then, happy for me to signal?
CK: Hold on a minute, I'm gonna come over and chat to you to sell it
CK: Bernado Silva was in the line of sight of the keeper from the header, happy to award offside?
AR: Yes confirmed.
*AR Raises Flag*

OK it might not go down exactly like that, but it probably would look a bit odd played back.
But still wouldn't take as long as it did....

Back