The Ref Stop

Wolves vs City

Technically this is not correct. As soon as the ball is further away from the goal line than him, then he IS in an offside position. But he has not committed the offside offence even if interfering because the offence does not apply to corner kicks.
Once the header is made, he is still in offside position but not committing an offence because he is not interfering.
You're correct, but I would hope you knew what I meant sir!

Reactions: one
The Ref Stop
I think the issue many people have regardless of what the laws say (and some are oblivious to it) is that they want this to be offside because the impact of his actions while in offside position but not committing an offence, was still active (not him but the impact) at a time it would have been considered an offence.

I had to read that 5 times to make sure I wrote what I meant (unlike Xie)

I think the issue many people have regardless of what the laws say (and some are oblivious to it) is that they want this to be offside because the impact of his actions while in offside position but not committing an offence, was still active (not him but the impact) at a time it would have been considered an offence.

Another reason is also that people want to see city lose. Not related whatsoever 😂

• Haha
Reactions: one

Mr X-y to you! and thats 'X-y' with a 'y', not an 'IE'

Yeah, but he has to take account of the player next to him who might try and head the ball. I can’t see this not being interference.
Many things ‘might’ happen. But it’s not the goalkeepers job to think of what may happen, it’s his job to focus on saving the ball. If Silva attempts to play the ball, he’s offside. So there’s no reason for the goalkeeper to worry

Gary O'Neill's comments have been presented as somehow the permissible face of what he really wanted to say, but accusing referees of unconscious bias is not a small claim in my eyes. We really have entered dangerous territory whereby referees/PGMOL are traduced as the scapegoats for a change in relationship between fan and product. When there was distance from detail, inconsistency and contingency were tolerated. With VAR and social media, such tolerance has been extinguished. I don't think there is a cure, as even automated decisions without human referees would throw up variance. The random nature of the game has been exposed like never before. Those are my two cents anyway.

I think I know what you mean! But if buffeting the GK at a corner was an offence, surely someone would already have had words about when two attackers do it at once.

You may have to cut and paste - direct link is not allowed: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX1-oKm1qXw&t=62s

Last edited:
The thing is the bar is now set so high. Anything below the PL would be offside, but with VAR accessibility, these are not given in the PL.
Totally disagree. The R is in position to see if the attacker was blocking line of sight—it’s his miss, not the AR’s miss, as the AR doesn’t have the angle to see if the attacker is blocking the GK’s vision. In any game, the AR and R should be communicating. The AR should be telling the R that the attacker was in OSP, and the R should be deciding if that blocked the GK’s vision. With comms, that’s a convo over the comms, and without them, it’s time for the AR and R to get together for a quick chat on the touchline.

Yeah, but he has to take account of the player next to him who might try and head the ball. I can’t see this not being interference.
Once upon a time, that was a good argument under Law 11. It is absolutely not anymore, as interference has been clearly defined in ways that mean it cannot possibly be called OS for that reason. The OSP player must do something, not merely be somewhere for there to be an OS offense

Totally disagree. The R is in position to see if the attacker was blocking line of sight—it’s his miss, not the AR’s miss, as the AR doesn’t have the angle to see if the attacker is blocking the GK’s vision. In any game, the AR and R should be communicating. The AR should be telling the R that the attacker was in OSP, and the R should be deciding if that blocked the GK’s vision. With comms, that’s a convo over the comms, and without them, it’s time for the AR and R to get together for a quick chat on the touchline.
I would agree that both the R and the AR each have a half piece of the jigsaw and in their pre-match instructions this is often covered as such. However, in my experience, in very similar situations (though not exactly), the Referee would consider that there was sufficient evidence that the attacker within the goal area was interfering. The same Referee may have considered the same had there not been VAR. We will never know.

Last edited:
So when exactly was the goal disallowed?

The AR has disappeared on the sunny side but CK isn't signalling, whistling, or otherwise looking to give an offside decision.

It's still very odd.

So when exactly was the goal disallowed?

The AR has disappeared on the sunny side but CK isn't signalling, whistling, or otherwise looking to give an offside decision.

It's still very odd.

Equally though why is the AR stood completely still, that isn't the natural reaction when a goal has been scored? There must have been communication going on and that, eventually, leads to the flag being raised.

What would have made this look a lot better is if CK actually ran to AR and had a chat with him. The use of comms is not so obvious to the general public, especially on TV. Had he done that the cameras sure to have panned on him before the AR offside signal.

What would have made this look a lot better is if CK actually ran to AR and had a chat with him. The use of comms is not so obvious to the general public, especially on TV. Had he done that the cameras sure to have panned on him before the AR offside signal.

Something you don't see anymore because of the comms but it looks like the right decision was made and if this was Wolves Vs another bottom half team then there won't be this much scrutiny over it.

Disagree. This looks amateurish and is entirely out of date.

Back