A&H

Who supplies the flags?

Seems very strange to me that for games with NARs the clubs would be expected to supply the flags. (Makes sense to me for games with CARs.) But I guess that's also different in a world that is generally teams of three even at lower levels (my world) and one in which a lot of even higher games get done with a ref and CARs. In my world I would never show up at a game, as R or AR, without my flags with me.

The Referee Store
I have never been to a game without my flags, neither have I been to a game where the others in a team of 3 or 4 didn't have them. As Reuben keeps saying though, he does things his own way.

I have never been to a game without my flags, neither have I been to a game where the others in a team of 3 or 4 didn't have them. As Reuben keeps saying though, he does things his own way.

Hence his RenegadeRef twitter handle. Perhaps that should be changed to IncompetentRef ... ? 🙂

I hear he also tells assistants not to give anything other than ball in and out and offsides? Whilst at the same time bemoaning that he and other BAME officials don't get promoted because observers favour non-BAME referees. No referee that routinely doesn't take flags to games because someone else might should never get beyond L7 let alone to L3 like he did.

According to his Twitter, there was only one appointed AR, there wasn't another available so a coach filled in. He posts the league rules stating that the home team must provide flags. This seems incredible for a decent standard league like that one, and they be better off removing it from their competition rules as all refs carry flags.

But once it's been established that the club hasn't got any flags to provide (I can't think of any ref a that would ask for them anyway) just use your own or the other officials flags. Common sense, spirit of the game etc. In law he's right due to competition rules but why would you refuse to use your flags? The answer is of course because he wants to use it to raise his radical referee profile, but in reality he just looks petty.

Whenever he was asked about why he didn't use his own flags he just changes the subject to not being a follower and a load of other nonsense.

According to his Twitter, there was only one appointed AR, there wasn't another available so a coach filled in. He posts the league rules stating that the home team must provide flags. This seems incredible for a decent standard league like that one, and they be better off removing it from their competition rules as all refs carry flags.

But once it's been established that the club hasn't got any flags to provide (I can't think of any ref a that would ask for them anyway) just use your own or the other officials flags. Common sense, spirit of the game etc. In law he's right due to competition rules but why would you refuse to use your flags? The answer is of course because he wants to use it to raise his radical referee profile, but in reality he just looks petty.

Whenever he was asked about why he didn't use his own flags he just changes the subject to not being a follower and a load of other nonsense.
I saw that, when asked why he doesn't just take his flags incase the home team don't have any he just asks whether referees would supply a match ball if the club didn't have one.

I think he knows he's messed up here, and is trying desperately to cover himself and try and make other referees who spent £12 on some flags look like they're just following the crowd.

I saw that, when asked why he doesn't just take his flags incase the home team don't have any he just asks whether referees would supply a match ball if the club didn't have one.

I think he knows he's messed up here, and is trying desperately to cover himself and try and make other referees who spent £12 on some flags look like they're just following the crowd.

Agreed. Stupid analogy, but the answer would probably be yes! Highly unlikely any ref would carry a ball but if I had one of course I'd lend it to them. We're all there for a game of football after all.

The sensible thing to do here is to remove the requirement for clubs to issue officials with flags. It's not expected, just get rid of it.

Reactions: JH
I can not understand a ref who doesn't have flags with him. I am working in a team of three tonight and I can guarantee there will be at least 3 sets of flags, probably more as we all carry rubbish ones for Sunday mornings and use our nice ones for NARs

Hence his RenegadeRef twitter handle. Perhaps that should be changed to IncompetentRef ... ? 🙂

I hear he also tells assistants not to give anything other than ball in and out and offsides? Whilst at the same time bemoaning that he and other BAME officials don't get promoted because observers favour non-BAME referees. No referee that routinely doesn't take flags to games because someone else might should never get beyond L7 let alone to L3 like he did.

Doesn't take his own flags and tries to blame somebody else. :rolleyes:

Maybe the club didn't have any flags cos they iz like racist innit? :p

He changed the story which was that one of the AR's got stuck on the way to the game, but luckily there was a qualified ref that was watching the game who stood in, until the appointed AR turned up, at which point he took over.

His feed on this incident is more about him quoting something from a league that he doesn't officiate on and also focusing on match balls rather than flags. He's also posted a fair amount about young referees not being pressured into buying unnecessary kit (like flags) when they qualify.

I will always take my flags to a game whatever my role. Just like I will take a coin despite no document in the world listing it in my compulsory equipment.

His Twitter feed seems unusually confrontational and I don't think some of the things he posts are very helpful. He seems intent on catching people out. Did he have am argument with Bobby Madley on it a few months back?

Yes, his logic had me wanting to hit my head against the wall. He sounds insufferable, (no offence).

Did he have am argument with Bobby Madley on it a few months back?

He was baiting him over something or other.

Seems more trouble than it's worth though.

He's also posted a fair amount about young referees not being pressured into buying unnecessary kit (like flags) when they qualify.

I can understand the issues related to the fees of the course, but I think flags are part of the ref's kit, never mind any FA rules or whatever. Get a cheap set, invest in a better one when you're regularly getting NARs is what I'd say. None of this weird 'provide a match ball' logic.

He's just trying to deflect criticism, because he know he messed up.

Incidentally you can get a set of cheap flags from Amazon for less that £5 before postage and packaging

I always bring my flags just in case the ref forgets or if I prefer the grip on my ones (really can't get on with the foam ones or ones with a rubber handle as they're too light). However, I've noticed a lot of clubs seem to have a pair of 20 year old flags somewhere laying around

My ref course supplied them (admittedly I imagine it was paid for in the course fee)

I would be interested to know if any CFAs actually don't include flags. I doubt it's many

One mantra for my Refereeing career stuck with me above all others: Don't piss people off on the way up, because you'll meet them on the way back down.

I will always take my flags to a game whatever my role. Just like I will take a coin despite no document in the world listing it in my compulsory equipment.

His Twitter feed seems unusually confrontational and I don't think some of the things he posts are very helpful. He seems intent on catching people out. Did he have am argument with Bobby Madley on it a few months back?

Yes, he properly tore into Bobby Madley in a pretty outrageous way, he was pretty much implying that all observers are racist. Up until that point he was some kind of ambassador for Ref Support UK, they got rid of him after this and he is clearly a totally loose cannon with a very large chip on his shoulder.

Whatever people might think of Bobby as a referee, there is no is doubt he is someone who puts a lot of his own time into referee development and the attacks by Reuben Simon were condemned by the vast majority of referees responding on social media.

As I’m in the same boat as the majority on here and always have my own flags with me the ref in question is correct by the LOTG as stated in law 5:

Compulsory equipment
Referees must have the following equipment:
• Whistle(s)
• Watch(es)
• Red and yellow cards
• Notebook (or other means of keeping a record of the match)

no mention of flags!

Back