A&H

What the?!

The Referee Store

82nd minute in a step 3 game. Hornchurch 2-1 and need 3 points to win the league.
This is ruled out for offside.
2 managers dismissed for arguing the point.

85th minute Horsham score the equaliser.
90th minute Horsham score the winner to make it 3-2.

Hornchurch finish 2nd in the league missing out on the title by 2 points.
Obviously a terrible error (assuming it was for offside and he hadn't seen something else), but you've jumped the gun a bit on Hornchurch missing out on the title as the top 4 all have 4 games left and only 2 points separate them.

Ah! I had a quick look and saw 38 games played! My bad!
Edited now 👍

Last edited:

This is the end of the game. This player needs a long ban. For a referee to have to run off the FOP as he fears for his safety is scary. This isn't some local park either, he is a level 3 referee. Horrendous.

The offside itself needs to be separated and looked in its own context. Its an horrendous error at this level of football. We're all capable of screwing up in the wrong circumstances and this is a bad one. The AR's must help here too. The ball was put in the back of the net before the whistle went which suggests to me that the ref has held the whistle because he knows it should be allowed (ignored the flag until the goal is scored) and imo that would be excellent refereeing if he then ran over to the AR, had the chat and then allowed the goal. Or, the ref doesn't even look over at the AR as he's not even considering an offside and then when he's seen the flag after the goal is scored the shock of it all has clouded his thinking? But there's a very high chance they're using buzzers at this level so that would be surprising.

Can't help but feel sorry for them.

This is the end of the game. This player needs a long ban. For a referee to have to run off the FOP as he fears for his safety is scary. This isn't some local park either, he is a level 3 referee. Horrendous.

The offside itself needs to be separated and looked in its own context. Its an horrendous error at this level of football. We're all capable of screwing up in the wrong circumstances and this is a bad one. The AR's must help here too. The ball was put in the back of the net before the whistle went which suggests to me that the ref has held the whistle because he knows it should be allowed (ignored the flag until the goal is scored) and imo that would be excellent refereeing if he then ran over to the AR, had the chat and then allowed the goal. Or, the ref doesn't even look over at the AR as he's not even considering an offside and then when he's seen the flag after the goal is scored the shock of it all has clouded his thinking? But there's a very high chance they're using buzzers at this level so that would be surprising.

Not sure the end of match footage is the same game as the offside (?)
This looks more like Havant and Waterlooville's ground.

Definitely not the same game. The offside was in a game between Horsham (yellow and green) and Hornchurch (purple). In your video there's a team in yellow and blue.

Difficult for AR1 to got involved even they had the perfect view of the defensive player passing the ball, so could have advised the referee the offside was incorrect in law. The goal had been scored so possible but offside free kick taken very quickly. Referee should have slowed everything down, his instinct should have told him something felt wrong.

Difficult for AR1 to got involved even they had the perfect view of the defensive player passing the ball, so could have advised the referee the offside was incorrect in law. The goal had been scored so possible but offside free kick taken very quickly. Referee should have slowed everything down, his instinct should have told him something felt wrong.
Surprising that the referee wasn't immediately surrounded by defenders complaining . . .

As AR1, I'd be mortified if I didn't get involved

On social media someone from the club said they were being observed. Not an easy conversation to have in the dressing room at full time.

For those saying the ARs should have got involved, I have a question ...

... how? They have no comms, and the referee blows the whistle well before the goal is scored. Had he not blown the whistle and disallowed it after it was scored then yes, the ARs could have a chat, but once the whistle is blown all bets are off. The best an AR involvement is going to produce is a dropped ball restart as opposed to IDFK, but that quite possibly just adds insult to injury. He certainly can't give the goal having blown the whistle in the build up to it.

Definitely not the same game. The offside was in a game between Horsham (yellow and green) and Hornchurch (purple). In your video there's a team in yellow and blue.
Ref support being deliberately misleading? Nooo, you don't say?

For those saying the ARs should have got involved, I have a question ...

... how? They have no comms, and the referee blows the whistle well before the goal is scored. Had he not blown the whistle and disallowed it after it was scored then yes, the ARs could have a chat, but once the whistle is blown all bets are off. The best an AR involvement is going to produce is a dropped ball restart as opposed to IDFK, but that quite possibly just adds insult to injury. He certainly can't give the goal having blown the whistle in the build up to it.
Whistle is clearly delayed until just after the goal, the noise you're hearing as a whistle I'm fairly sure is a scream from by the camera. Note the different tone to the whistle just after the "goal".

Other than that I agree - it's a tough situation, but the ref is the only one positioned to take the initiative and sort this out. As @Ben448844 points out, he's clearly delayed the whistle because the flag feels wrong to him, the mistake is not trusting that instinct and initiating a chat with at least one of the ARs.

I don't think either AR has standing to insist on a conference - AR2 has just made an on/offside call and can't be expected to overrule himself on a pass from the opposite touchline, and AR1 has a far worse view than the ref, as well as other reasons to possibly not be looking at the pass. It has to be the ref who decides to delay and work out what happened.

If nearside AR has the information, he HAS to give it.

If they are on buzzers, the buzzer does not let go and if he's not he doesnt stop waving the flag until he's had the referee over.

It's not about standing. As the referee, if I came in after this and the AR says, yes I could have told you that I'd be really unhappy and disappointed.

There's a lot of stuff we can't get involved in, but sometimes if we have the crucial piece of info, we have to step up, step outside the norm, and be counted and bail our colleagues out.

Ultimately they have to have a conversation. By just giving offside and the game restarting quickly, which it looks like it did, the ref hasn't given himself a chance. Whether he initiates the chat or the AR by staying on the buzzer, they've got to recognise the situation and give themselves more of an opportunity to correct.

Ultimately if nobody saw that the defender passed the ball then they're snookered, but I find that hard to believe.

But why would the AR possibly think they have a better view?
This isn't a subjective, I had a better angle.
If an assistant clearly sees a ball played last by a defender and they can prevent the incorrect outcome then, imo, are duty bound to do it.

It's why I was very careful to say if they have the information.

This isn't I thought it was a foul or he looked onside to me. This is factual, ball deliberately played by a defender and also very obviously.

Back