A&H

What equipment should I buy?

MK93

Hi guys - first post on here.

I recently completed a ref course in Berks/Bucks area, and I will need to do my 5 games to be officially qualified in the next 2 months. I plan to do adult football but I am going to do these first 5 + maybe a few more in the local Youth leagues just to get the ball rolling and boost confidence a little.

Starting completely from scratch I obviously have quite a lot of equipment to buy... are there any recommendations of things I should get to make life easier and what I should definitely need from the start?

Also, any tips for some 'just in case' items I should get hold of, such a cable ties for broken goal nets etc.

As you can probs tell I want to try and be very organised!

Cheers.

The Referee Store
Cards, whistle, pen and paper, watch and buying a proper kit at some point would be good as well.

You'll definitely want a pair of flags as well. And a pair of, preferably, black football boots.

I'd say there are better things to invest your money for first few games than boots.
Didnt say it was top of the list but if, like in England where it happens a lot, it rains you are going to struggle keeping your footing in a pair of trainers. You can get a pair of boots from sports direct/decathlon for around half a match fee if you arent fussy so well worth the investment. Theres already a lot to think about in your first few games without having to worry if you are gunna slip at the start of every sprint or directional change.

2x whistle & wrist band
1x note pad & pencil
1x yellow & red card
Set of Lino flags
1x watch
1x kit

Spend the absolute minimum on all of the above, cheap watch from Argos etc

As you progress you will want to get better stuff & also will have a lot of trial & error with what works for u & what equipment u like & don’t like.

So as I said keep spending to a minimum to start with unless your loaded of course.

Use the fox 40 whistle for a starter kit. Don't buy the cheep pea whistle from the local bargain store. They hard to use and sound terrible. A good sounding whistle is a very important part of showing confidence.

For 'just in case' get a spare pair of cards. They don't cost much.

Use the fox 40 whistle for a starter kit. Don't buy the cheep pea whistle from the local bargain store. They hard to use and sound terrible. A good sounding whistle is a very important part of showing confidence.

For 'just in case' get a spare pair of cards. They don't cost much.

Coudnt disagree more regarding the whistle, I’m not the sharpest tool in the box but I’m done with the fox40 poxy tongue technique etc.

I got two still in packet if anyone wants them I’ll send them to ya, got a luvly little England badge on them.

My old school acme hasn’t let me down yet, never once had a player ignore it.

Cheers guys, appreciate it.

I've always played football so own a pair of boots already, although maybe a little flash for a ref. Tempted by going all out on a pair of Adidas Copa's or Kaisers but i'll maybe spend money on more important things first!

Eh... what's this all about? I find that just blowing it works a treat!

I can’t get on with it cat, I watched a good YouTube vid about using your tongue on the whistle but I’m still not sold.

I started with a acme thund & although not a fashionable sound it does the job & if anything it’s different so it’ll never get confused if there is a pitch near me.

Cheers guys, appreciate it.

I've always played football so own a pair of boots already, although maybe a little flash for a ref. Tempted by going all out on a pair of Adidas Copa's or Kaisers but i'll maybe spend money on more important things first!

Your boots will last a lot longer Aswell that’s the bonus of being a ref

2 watches is a must as you will forget to start your stopwatch. I use a cheap whistle and when I need it to stop the game it works for me. Iwould invest in refs kit even unbadged it makes you look like a ref and you will feel like a ref. You can get some cheap kits online if you look around. The pockets in shorts and shirts are very useful.

Also, any tips for some 'just in case' items I should get hold of, such a cable ties for broken goal nets etc.

As you can probs tell I want to try and be very organised!

Good attitude. As well as the obvious stuff I carry the following: 1st aid kit, tent pegs (for nets), insulation tape (also for nets), shin pads, long socks (pink, as a deterrent), pliers (for removing jewellery which 'can only be removed with pliers'), ball pump, pressure gauge.

Good attitude. As well as the obvious stuff I carry the following: 1st aid kit, tent pegs (for nets), insulation tape (also for nets), shin pads, long socks (pink, as a deterrent), pliers (for removing jewellery which 'can only be removed with pliers'), ball pump, pressure gauge.

Sounds like the sort of bag ud take for a kinky night in Soho :p

You could invest in the What not to do in Refereeing DVD.... it’s available Free in West London and in the HMV bargain bucket :p

Back