A&H

What equipment should I buy?

Cheers guys, appreciate it.

I've always played football so own a pair of boots already, although maybe a little flash for a ref. Tempted by going all out on a pair of Adidas Copa's or Kaisers but i'll maybe spend money on more important things first!

Get two pairs?

Soft ground and firm ground (metal / plastic studs). Have had fewer issues injury-wise since I've done this, just don't mix them up!

Otherwise I get:

2x kit
2 x yellow and red cards.
2 x watches,
2 x whistles,
1 x record sheet/booklet with x2-3 pencils
2x flags

Also, check with your county FA. They might have a sponsorship with a kit supplier - we have one of these in Wales, and they sell you most of what I listed, plus a kit bag as a deal.

And you may have noticed I've said 2x for most things. That was one of the first things I was taught once I started refereeing as a team - my mentor would steal my kit or cards in the changing room, so that I would assume I'd left it at home. His point (besides pranking me) was that you should always have a spare of everything if you can, because something will go wrong/missing at some point. It's a useful principle I stand by today and has helped me several times when, believe it or not, other referees have turned up to a match without their shorts etc. :p

The Referee Store
I started with a borrowed plastic whistle, no cards and had to send someone off in my very first game too!!! Adapt and overcome!

I have a spare pair of boots (an old worn out pair) in the boot of my car and it has saved my ar$ more times than I can remember. I air the stink out of my usual boots by hanging it in the garage after I get home. Even though I pack my bag early my stinky boots are the last thing I pick up on my way out to games. I often forget things when I am late and rushing and I am often late and rushing.

I have a spare pair of boots (an old worn out pair) in the boot of my car and it has saved my ar$ more times than I can remember. I air the stink out of my usual boots by hanging it in the garage after I get home. Even though I pack my bag early my stinky boots are the last thing I pick up on my way out to games. I often forget things when I am late and rushing and I am often late and rushing.

You One really? I thought you would have been at the ground crack of dawn running through lotg ;)

Reactions: one

Am same, I keep a old tatty pair of astro trainers in the car for that one time I dont pack my correct stuff.

Here is what I carry in the US that I would consider essential. 2 different whistles (different sound from neighboring fields), ball pump, at least two flipping coins, wallet/book, score sheets, 2 pens/pencils, cards, flags, cleeats/boots (essential for mud/wet), trash bag (cover your gear when it rains), LOTG (why wouldn't you want a copy with you?), water, two watches, at least two colors of referee jerseys, black under shirt so as to not bare chest at the field while changing, phone (call assignor if a no-show referee or call ambulance. Normally delegate the ambulance call to a coach but have had to do it before as people didnt know directions to the field).

Optional but helpful pressure gauge, cable ties, ref gear organizer/wallet, sun block, Ben Gay/icy hot (forget what you guys call it. Stuff for sure muscles), muscle roller, 5 short jerseys/5 long, wrist bands, under armor for cold days. My favorite optional thing is my backpack that is also a duffel. Great to carry gear and toss on my back for trek to fields. Caribeners on my backpack/duffle to clip my keys , coin pouch and water bottle to. Extra pens/pencils/coins.

Here is what I carry in the US that I would consider essential. 2 different whistles (different sound from neighboring fields), ball pump, at least two flipping coins, wallet/book, score sheets, 2 pens/pencils, cards, flags, cleeats/boots (essential for mud/wet), trash bag (cover your gear when it rains), LOTG (why wouldn't you want a copy with you?), water, two watches, at least two colors of referee jerseys, black under shirt so as to not bare chest at the field while changing, phone (call assignor if a no-show referee or call ambulance. Normally delegate the ambulance call to a coach but have had to do it before as people didnt know directions to the field).

Optional but helpful pressure gauge, cable ties, ref gear organizer/wallet, sun block, Ben Gay/icy hot (forget what you guys call it. Stuff for sure muscles), muscle roller, 5 short jerseys/5 long, wrist bands, under armor for cold days. My favorite optional thing is my backpack that is also a duffel. Great to carry gear and toss on my back for trek to fields. Caribeners on my backpack/duffle to clip my keys , coin pouch and water bottle to. Extra pens/pencils/coins.

What about bullet proof vest & hand gun?

That’s what a man in authority carry’s in the US right? ;)

What about bullet proof vest & hand gun?

That’s what a man in authority carry’s in the US right? ;)
Somedays those could be useful, Taser (stun gun), handcuffs and pepper spray as well. Bet I'd have some really quiet sidelines. :)

Interesting but related side story. When my son was around U13, at end of a tournament game some words exchanged between the coaches at end went badly. Boys lined up and shaking hands while opposing coach was on opposite side if midfield being held back as he was trying to get at our coach. 4 dads from parent sideline ran across the field to get after my son's coach. Off-duty officer ran across field and caught up to them about 10 yards from the players/coaches. Had to break out a badge and order them all back across field. Poor youth CR looked shell shocked. Was a mothers day game. Nobody arrested but imagine how mad the wives would have been. All over a verbal exchange between coaches. Nice

Last edited:

No sure if you away to ref a game or scale K2 there!

I carry in my Adidas bag...least three tops, underarmour, towel, shorts, socks and trackie top, if am not already wearing it to the game, leggings and two pair boots
Water, diluted juice.
Ice cream lunch box has whistles,watches, cards, match cards, flip coins, pens, pencils, pressure gauage, screwdriver and ear mould and a small plastic bag case get paid notes on the pitch and its rainy, a4 folder, same reason, team lines
Toilet bag with deo, hair gel, shower gel, heat spray and paracetomol
I carry a small radio too. And a poly bag for putting the sweaty kit into post match

I carry in my Adidas bag...least three tops, underarmour, towel, shorts, socks and trackie top, if am not already wearing it to the game, leggings and two pair boots
Water, diluted juice.
Ice cream lunch box has whistles,watches, cards, match cards, flip coins, pens, pencils, pressure gauage, screwdriver and ear mould and a small plastic bag case get paid notes on the pitch and its rainy, a4 folder, same reason, team lines
I carry a small radio too. And a poly bag for putting the sweaty kit into post match
Can Scottish MOs ref in a kilt? Just asking for a friend! :p

Cheers guys, appreciate it.

I've always played football so own a pair of boots already, although maybe a little flash for a ref. Tempted by going all out on a pair of Adidas Copa's or Kaisers but i'll maybe spend money on more important things first!
Adidas copa mondial ! Brilliant boots ! And you can get a full blackout at Toots Boots ! From what I can see even during this World Cup they all wore copa mondial

Water, diluted juice.
This minus the radio plus sweatbands plus charger for the GPS watch

Back