A&H

What do I do pre-match?

deebster09

Grassroots Referee
I have my first game tomorrow as a referee. I'm refereeing an U9 game. I'm particularly nervous about pre-match since I haven't recieved much guidance on that bit.

1. Do I arrive in my referee kit?
2. People advise that I should introduce myself to both teams managers - what (in detail) should I say? Should I mention to them that it's my first game? Should I ask them who their captain is?
3. Will both teams come out on the pitch by themselves in the minutes leading up to the match?
4. When do I do a kit inspection? How do I do it? Do I line them up and just look at their clothes?
4. How do I know when a substitution wants to come on?
5. I usually wear glasses. Should I leave them behind?

I know I'm 100% being pedantic but I just want to ensure everything goes smoothly.

The Referee Store
I have my first game tomorrow as a referee. I'm refereeing an U9 game. I'm particularly nervous about pre-match since I haven't recieved much guidance on that bit.

I'd probably arrive in kit underneath a tracksuit
2. People advise that I should introduce myself to both teams managers - what (in detail) should I say? Should I mention to them that it's my first game? Should I ask them who their captain is?
Yeah definitely introduce yourself, you don't have to say its your first game but obviously do so if you want. Ask for captains immediately prior to the toss, theyll come to you.
3. Will both teams come out on the pitch by themselves in the minutes leading up to the match?
at this age group they'll most likely be on the pitch warming up and will stay there till kick off
4. When do I do a kit inspection? How do I do it? Do I line them up and just look at their clothes?
Hard one at u9 level as therell be plenty on show that in theory shouldnt be allowed. Id do it from distance personally and only worry about a formal inspection at older ages/open age (though others may disagree with this
Managers will tell you
Definitely wear them unless youre happy in contacts.
I know I'm 100% being pedantic but I just want to ensure everything goes smoothly.

You'll be fine...go out there and blow the whistle loud and with conviction

Depends how dependent you are on your glasses.

I wear glasses when driving (and, for example, when I go to the cinema) but will take them off as I approach the ground (and similarly, not pop them on until I’ve driven out off the car park after the game) - it just helps the optics (pun intended) and stops any comments about my eyesight.

but I must emphasise - my eyesight is not too bad, I dont need glasses when driving slowly in traffic or into a car park. If you need your glasses, wear them.

Enjoy the game, and come back and let us know how you got on.

Thanks everyone and just one more question - how do I get the teams to line up for Respect Handshakes? Should I shout for them to come to me? Should I ask their captain/coach to line them up? The league also says this should be done at the end of matches.

Thanks everyone and just one more question - how do I get the teams to line up for Respect Handshakes? Should I shout for them to come to me? Should I ask their captain/coach to line them up? The league also says this should be done at the end of matches.
shout/whistle and get them together (if they do do it every week they should be used to it)

Respect handshakes in an U9's game 😮

Not saying its not right but I have never heard of that at U9 level 🤣

Respect handshakes in an U9's game 😮

Not saying its not right but I have never heard of that at U9 level 🤣
Lol, I guess you are right - it does seem a bit odd. I couldn't find anything about it a FA Handbook for mini-soccer but it was one of the things mentioned in the referee guidelines for the league: "FA guidelines expect Respect handshakes at the beginning and end of matches". It might be something I'll ask the coaches when I introduce myself to them.

I'd say it depends on the venue. If there are no changing rooms for official that lock, turn up in kit. If there is, you could turn up in a tracksuit.
'Hello, my name is .......' More often than not, managers will give you their name. Always helps to be on first name terms.

I wouldnt mention its your first game at the beginning.

At that level you could ask who the captain is, but its likely the manager may not yet know (they tend to have a different one each week at that age)
Again, depends on venue. But it's unlikely you'll need to go and fetch them
Being honest, ive never even done a kit inspection. I think thats a regional thing, though.
The manager will give you a shout. Ideally by your name as you will have given him it during the initial introductions. Or you'll hear 'referee' or 'sub'
Depends how much you rely on them
Enjoy!

Being honest, ive never even done a kit inspection. I think thats a regional thing, though.
I find this hard to fathom! I'm not talking the old line them up check every stud but you must do something. How are you checking jewellery, shin pads, anything else that is dangerous?

OP - Please ensure you do a kit inspection. It's mandatory requirement of law 4.

I find this hard to fathom! I'm not talking the old line them up check every stud but you must do something. How are you checking jewellery, shin pads, anything else that is dangerous?

OP - Please ensure you do a kit inspection. It's mandatory requirement of law 4.
Should have been a bit more specific. I've never ever done one at grassroots level. Or supply league level, come to think of it.

Contrib & National League, yes.

Even with assistants before lining up to go out?
Even then.

The supply league pool I came from was quite low in terms of facilities and expectations. So low we wouldn't even lead the teams out before the game the vast vast majority of the time.

A lot of the games are played on 4G hubs and will have a game on before and/or after yours. So getting a warm up in wasn't always possible either

The game went alright. There were a couple of things I missed (goal kick instead of a corner) and I was definitely hestitant at times, especially when I had to quickly decide which way I should point for which team during a throw-in. One of the coaches wasn't too happy because apparently the first quarter was 14 mins and the second quarter was 17 mins. The players were respectful and I didn't hear any abuse from the parents. Overall, the experience wasn't too bad.

Managers will normally have a strange concept of how time works - I wouldn't worry. Trust your watch(es)!

As for goal/corner kicks, some of them are impossible to confidently get right, and even at the highest levels there are still errors in those decisions, so for your first game I wouldn't worry yourself!

Well done - keep at it.

The game went alright. There were a couple of things I missed (goal kick instead of a corner) and I was definitely hestitant at times, especially when I had to quickly decide which way I should point for which team during a throw-in. One of the coaches wasn't too happy because apparently the first quarter was 14 mins and the second quarter was 17 mins. The players were respectful and I didn't hear any abuse from the parents. Overall, the experience wasn't too bad.
Well done, first game ticked off, onwards to your next match.

Couple of things, don’t do anything quick, at most levels of football, player reactions give you a good base for your decision.

If you have a difficult to call corner/goal kick or defensive/attacking throw in, always go goal kick or defensive throw in. Don’t want a goal from your disputed call even if you believe you are correct!

For a first game that sounds great. Don't overthink corners and throw-ins, you just have to go with your gut.

Hopefully you continue forward slow and steady!

I coach youth (U11 now but was U9 two years ago) and referee primarily adult football but being a coach in club with a lot of youth teams I inevitable end up doing loads of youth games too.

Turn up on time, in kit (under a tracksuit if it's cold), say hello to both coaches, shake hands, confirm KO time and match format (halves/qtrs whatever). They might do a card swap - this is a good time to eyeball kit, I'm checking for shinpads and jewelry. If not I check kit subtly as they are coming onto the pitch, I never line them up for it. Don't get involved in the cards or any dispute, it's not your job.

Players are not allowed to wear glasses but at U9 I would overlook this so long as they are plastic. At older ages and certainly at adult I would not allow glasses unless they are proper sports glasses. You cannot tell a player to remove his glasses if you are wearing them. Get sports glasses or contacts.

Most importantly - and this is particularly true when you start - don't assume that because a manager is having a pop that you're not having a perfectly good game. I am a level 5, I've been refereeing for 11 years, and I still get occasional complaints from youth coaches about nothing decisions.

Remember this: if you weren't there the person doing the job would not be a qualified referee. You are better than their best alternative. It doesn't hurt to remind them of that occasionally.

Back