A&H

Wengers/FIFA’s offside proposal

Problem there is the camera is rarely inline with the possible offside offence, so without drawing lines there is too much guesswork, hence why assistants have to be inline to credibly give offside decisions.

All that would happen is the broadcasters would use the technology to draw lines to prove the decision made was wrong. It just shifts the problem slightly, doesn't fix anything and in all reality decreases the percentage of correct decisions.

What "no line drawing" does is what VAR was theoretically meant to do--correct glaring errors with minimal interference. You're right that not every error will be fixed with that. But I don't think it is "guesswork" so much as there is no reversal without a clear error by the AR. It's not perfect--nothing with VAR ever will be--but as best I can tell, that model has been less controversial than the places drawing lines. Without drawing lines, there are no mm reversals by VAR, as it's impossible. But those clear errors are getting fixed. MLS VARs (who do not have line technology) do conclude that plays are too close to find a clear error. IMO, that's a good thing.

The Referee Store
What "no line drawing" does is what VAR was theoretically meant to do--correct glaring errors with minimal interference. You're right that not every error will be fixed with that. But I don't think it is "guesswork" so much as there is no reversal without a clear error by the AR. It's not perfect--nothing with VAR ever will be--but as best I can tell, that model has been less controversial than the places drawing lines. Without drawing lines, there are no mm reversals by VAR, as it's impossible. But those clear errors are getting fixed. MLS VARs (who do not have line technology) do conclude that plays are too close to find a clear error. IMO, that's a good thing.

Problem is that someone who is 10cm offside might look onside from a camera angle with no lines drawn, especially when it is a trailing or leading leg. Might not be the case in other countries, but the English media look to find controversy in everything (just watch the Downing Street Covid briefings for evidence) and they will look to discredit whatever approach is used. Even if that means buying the lining technology that PGMOL currently use and wouldn't need any more.

Problem is that someone who is 10cm offside might look onside from a camera angle with no lines drawn, especially when it is a trailing or leading leg. Might not be the case in other countries, but the English media look to find controversy in everything (just watch the Downing Street Covid briefings for evidence) and they will look to discredit whatever approach is used. Even if that means buying the lining technology that PGMOL currently use and wouldn't need any more.
The press is currently looking to discredit every use of VAR, so I think that’s moot.

It’s so simple, just make the lines drawn on VAR different thicknesses - give the defender a thicker line so the forward gets the benefit of doubt and takes away the margin of error from when frame is frozen and where their armpit is.

Not so simple. For starters the width of the line on the near side sideline represents a wider actual margin as it would on the far side. It all depends on the placement of camera. For example if the camera is place say 10 yards from the line it would be say one inch on near side compared to 10 inches on the far side.

Just forget about the lines all together.

Not so simple. For starters the width of the line on the near side sideline represents a wider actual margin as it would on the far side. It all depends on the placement of camera. For example if the camera is place say 10 yards from the line it would be say one inch on near side compared to 10 inches on the far side.

Just forget about the lines all together.
Interesting, is that what happens now? So the line is thicker on the far side of the pitch? (Presumably both lines) - have there been more offsides given by VAR on the near side than the far side? I presume technology would be able to calculate the perspective.

Interesting, is that what happens now? So the line is thicker on the far side of the pitch? (Presumably both lines) - have there been more offsides given by VAR on the near side than the far side? I presume technology would be able to calculate the perspective.
The line is drown on the screen with the same thickness. However (and I am not that good at geometry ) the image it is drawn on has a perspective drawing. If you draw a narrow line on top of this image right through the middle

Screenshot_20210518-001055.jpg

At the bottom it will cover a small fraction of the road but at the top it will cover almost the entire road. So in a superimposed calculation the line would 'act as' a few inches wide at the bottom but several yards wide at the top.

Last edited:
Just use standing feet/foot position. Do away with all the upper body rubbish. Far simpler.

Back