A&H

WC Final - Argentina vs France

WOW!!! Didn't see that coming at half time! :eek:

What a game for neutral and despite 3 penalties being given in the game, no one should be talking about or blaming the officials after that game

One thing haven't heard mentioned during the World Cup, most of the pitches haven't looked the best compared to what we are used to in the PL these days.

Only 8 stadiums. Previously 12 was the minimum.

The Referee Store
Yes, but the other question (as several people have mentioned) is whether it was "a deliberate trick [...] to circumvent the Law."

Probably not for me, but it was close.
Not in a million years. It isn't even close to what the law was brought in for, it for doing things like flicking it up to head back, or for someone else to head back.

A referee penalising that in a World Cup final would never referee again, he would be slaughtered.

True, however most looked poor from the start and the grass paint couldn't hide it.
Disagree. Saw all 8 stadium (not bragging, only justification 😊) in the group stages and they were all as good as any I have seen if not better.

They did start to wear out in the knockout stages.

That is how you control a game of football. Absolute polar opposite of yesterday, anyone trying to get in his face to complain got told in no uncertain terms to go away. Probably why Collina seemingly rates him so highly, there are definite similarities between their styles.

There were a few missed cautions, but the bar is always set much higher in major cup finals and the referees don't want to become the centre of attention. The key thing is he got all 4 penalty decisions correct, and real time without VAR having to get involved. The spot for the simulation by Thuram was outstanding, as was the handball penalty.

My gut feeling was it should have been a red for Otamendi, but I haven't seen a replay showing positions of covering defenders, plus the attacker did have the ball stuck under his feet a bit. And the incredibly low number of red (and yellow) cards in the whole tournament is clear evidence that referees have been told to keep cards away if possible.
I agree except on the yellows.

In extra time it did not present well. Messi’s blatant holding no card you can put down to the occasion - but the one in the corner, rugby tackle to stop Thuram (?) heading into the box, crazy not to give.

My take away: I think I will remind coaches before matches that grassroots matches are not ”card free zones” like we see on the TV!

Was s great refereeing performance fitting for the big match.

Fifa’s decision to go with the ”big guns” style - bald bonus - vindicated!

Disagree. Saw all 8 stadium (not bragging, only justification 😊) in the group stages and they were all as good as any I have seen if not better.

They did start to wear out in the knockout stages.
Ooh. I attended 7. You got me by one

• Haha
Reactions: one
Yes, but the other question (as several people have mentioned) is whether it was "a deliberate trick [...] to circumvent the Law."

Probably not for me, but it was close.
No different to when a player chests it back to the keeper for me. Just a different body part. On we play!

For all the pre-tournament negativity (rightly or wrongly) think it's been a good WC, had a few shocks, some of the very best players on the planet delivered for their countries, standard of refereeing was good overall and the hosts put on a good show. 👍

Emi Martinez then;

”Quel dommage ! Nous avons oublié le dessert pour le pique-nique !”

No, he didn’t say that - I said that to my French friends… he said:

”The ref was giving everything for them. He gave 10 minutes [added time] for no reason. He was giving free-kicks outside the box for them, like two, three times.

He just wanted them to score, that’s basically it. So, hopefully we don’t have him that ref anymore. He’s useless.”

If I understand correctly, he didn’t use the word ”cheat” - should he have been sanctioned for these comments after the QF?

Can't agree with you there. That performance was the very definition of being in control. We can all pick holes but the man just nailed the biggest game of his life with huge decisions and no need for VAR.

Sometimes we should just say well done
I think we can say well done - and remind grassroots refs that a sub booting the ball into the crowd to delay the restart must be sanctioned with a yellow card.

Emi Martinez then;

”Quel dommage ! Nous avons oublié le dessert pour le pique-nique !”

No, he didn’t say that - I said that to my French friends… he said:

”The ref was giving everything for them. He gave 10 minutes [added time] for no reason. He was giving free-kicks outside the box for them, like two, three times.

He just wanted them to score, that’s basically it. So, hopefully we don’t have him that ref anymore. He’s useless.”

If I understand correctly, he didn’t use the word ”cheat” - should he have been sanctioned for these comments after the QF?
Funny thing footballers. Totally forgetting the first half penalty Argentina and the great call by the referee against France for diving but yeah, everything was for France …

I think we can say well done - and remind grassroots refs that a sub booting the ball into the crowd to delay the restart must be sanctioned with a yellow card.
They don't have multiball and hundreds of ball boys at grass roots. It didn't delay the restart as another ball was immediately thrown to a French player.

Any player who thinks they can do what players in a World Cup final did fully deserve any cards coming their way.

Irrespective of views on his performance, particularly with regard lack of yellow cards, would like to praise the BBC pundits for their positive praise, far too often they only comment on referee when it is negative.
Same here in Australian coverage. I think it was pretty much universal (with the possible exception of France).

Any player who thinks they can do what players in a World Cup final did fully deserve any cards coming their way.
Or a good contract from a top club depending on what it is they do the same as a world cup player 🤣

On another note, 8 pages of comments before the games is over must be a forum record.

They don't have multiball and hundreds of ball boys at grass roots. It didn't delay the restart as another ball was immediately thrown to a French player.
I don’t buy that at any level. Sorry, but the next thing is someone will explain a pejorative comment should not be sanctioned because no one found it offensive! Slippery slope.

Back