A&H

Warm-Up Routines?

The Referee Store
A lap of the pitch. The start on goal line jog speed up and up until about 70-75% at half way line. Do same on return. Do that a couple if times.
Then a few stretches and lunges from touch line to 18yrd box

If you have a look at New Referees, at the top there is a thread that says Helpful Documents (created by Ross), and one of those documents it a fitness guide. In there somewhere I think is a warm up (and maybe warm down) guide. Just have a look, I think it's there.

I have just had a look, and its on page 10. The document is the one 2nd from the bottom.

Rub my hands together vigourously and blow into them. That generally warms them up :p.

With some referees I've been out with, the only warm up they did was 3 or 4 fags

For me, a few stretches, calves, hamstring etc

Then out on to the pitch, couple of laps of the pitch, then some shuttle runs, incorporating sprints. Then another lap around the pitch, this time running backwards, crabbing etc

With some referees I've been out with, the only warm up they did was 3 or 4 fags

That's a really good warm up. For me a good lean against a nice warm radiator and a few stretches as well and maybe a lap. When it's a game with NAR's it's a proper 10-20 minute warm up.

for me its the halfway line, up and down, different speeds then high knees,heel flicks,side steps, then some disco dancing- if its a cold day then its laps

I generally fast walk to halfway line, then jog a complete lap. On second lap a fast run from halfway to end, high knees to goal area, side step across goal area and high knees to touch. Jog along to half way then fast run to goal line. Heel flicks to goal area, side step the other way across goal and heel flicks to touch. Finish with a jog to halfway then fast walk to goal line. Gentle calf, hamstring and groin stretches. There was a lot of research into the relevance/use of stretches before exertion and I believe the it was decided that stretching pre-exercise was of little use, but a good stretch routine after exercise was more beneficial. After the game I will generally do a lap of the pitch on a fast walk as a cool down (or walk to the changing rooms if that is some distance away) followed by a longer stretch routine in the changing room when I am finished.

About 35 mins before K.O, 2 laps of pitch (more if needed) finishing at the left corner furthest away from the tunnel. Stretches for a couple of minutes. Then, shuttles to the 18 yard line from the goal line, with a jog back after each one:

1 x Jog
1 x 50%
1 x High knees
1 x Bum kicks
1 x over the gate
1 x over the gate the other way!
1 x hamstring walk (the advantage walk)
1 x 2-to-the-left, 2-to-the-right
1 x side steps facing the field
1 x side steps facing the sideline
1 x backward run

Some more stretches for a couple of minutes.

AR1 to sidestep along the goal line between the corner flag and the penalty area, AR2 between the corner flag and imaginary 18 yard line, me to run randomly around the imaginary box, with the AR's sidestepping along the lines, to simulate a match situation. Do this for 4 minutes.

More stretches.

AR's to have a quick check of their lines whilst I do some more stretches and have a general walk about.

Meet back at the goal line, run 50% to half way line, 100% until 18 yard line then ease off.

Back in to changing room.

Pre-match instruction / get kit ready.

Away we go.

I did chuckle the other night. Div 2 game and one player's warm up consisted of having a fag before the game!! (Thats a cigarette for our American/Canadian contributors - he didn't get involved in a quick same sex relationship before the game!)

I did chuckle the other night. Div 2 game and one player's warm up consisted of having a fag before the game!! (Thats a cigarette for our American/Canadian contributors - he didn't get involved in a quick same sex relationship before the game!)
Seen the same thing a number of times. But the best one I saw they were all standing around having a fag when the manager came over pushing a trolley with 4 pots of coffee and a number of mugs. The other team were warming up properly and surprised to say they won 16-0, it was 11-0 at half time but they decided to shoot from 45 yards in the 2nd half and see what skill they could pull off. Highly amusing game.

About 35 mins before K.O, 2 laps of pitch (more if needed) finishing at the left corner furthest away from the tunnel. Stretches for a couple of minutes. Then, shuttles to the 18 yard line from the goal line, with a jog back after each one:

1 x Jog
1 x 50%
1 x High knees
1 x Bum kicks
1 x over the gate
1 x over the gate the other way!
1 x side steps facing the field
1 x side steps facing the sideline
1 x backward run

Some more stretches for a couple of minutes.

AR1 to sidestep along the goal line between the corner flag and the penalty area, AR2 between the corner flag and imaginary 18 yard line, me to run randomly around the imaginary box, with the AR's sidestepping along the lines, to simulate a match situation. Do this for 4 minutes.

More stretches.

AR's to have a quick check of their lines whilst I do some more stretches and have a general walk about.

Meet back at the goal line, run 50% to half way line, 100% until 18 yard line then ease off.

Back in to changing room.

Pre-match instruction / get kit ready.

Away we go.

That's how I do pre-match too! Other refs also use this when I'm on the line too and not in the middle!

What are these?
Steve, I think that the left and right ones are completed in a diagonal type pattern, where you step two paces to the left whilst going forward, and then two paces to the right. I may be wrong though. The hamstring walk, is when swing your leg into the air, I think.

The hamstring walk is when you place one foot out in front of you with your leg straight, with the other foot underneath you (standing leg). You then bend the standing leg while pushing your bottom out behind you and as you bend you sweep your arms down and then forward in a similar move to the advantage signal. You then take two steps forward and repeat with the standing leg out in front this time.

Easier to do than describe

Back