A&H

Warm-Up Routines?

The Referee Store
How long does your guys' warm up take? I'm only asking because you are warming up 35 minutes before KO and you should really be timing your warm up to end just about right before you head out to play in order to gain the most from the process. Out of curiosity, why don't you use the centre line and go back and forth on that for your warm up? It would seem to me that this allows you to be in more a position of authority during the warm up and you can easily stop for a moment to deal with anything that may arise (but if you're running around the pitch, team A could need you for something while you're all the way on the opposite end of the field). Just a suggestion.

My warm up takes around 12 minutes including break between jog and shuttles AND after shuttles to allow my heart rate to drop back down to around 67% of max. If teams want to come and talk to me, it's just as easy for them to find me as it is for me to find them. Ideally I want to finish my warm up around 12-15 minutes before kick off, so I have enough time to copy teamsheets into my notebook.

Very simple for me:

-4 minutes running high intensity to get heart rate up
-Full set of static stretches
-Full set of dynamic stretches and movements
-Couple of sprints

10-12 minutes to complete and back inside to do admin.

Very simple for me:

-4 minutes running high intensity to get heart rate up
-Full set of static stretches
-Full set of dynamic stretches and movements
-Couple of sprints

10-12 minutes to complete and back inside to do admin.

Sorry XMan but that is a not a particularly good warm up. A warm up should be gradual, if you are starting with some running it should not be of a high intensity. Start with a low intensity and gradually increase to a medium intensity but heart rate really should not go above 80%of mhr. After the 4, 5 or 6 minutes of this then go into the dynamic exercises. There is no real need to do static stretching during a warm up but if you feel the need do them after the dynamic stuff. Then move onto the movements that you will use in the game so a couple of sprints is fine but include things like changes of direction, backwards running, sideways running etc depending on what you will be doing.

Sorry XMan but that is a not a particularly good warm up. A warm up should be gradual, if you are starting with some running it should not be of a high intensity. Start with a low intensity and gradually increase to a medium intensity but heart rate really should not go above 80%of mhr. After the 4, 5 or 6 minutes of this then go into the dynamic exercises. There is no real need to do static stretching during a warm up but if you feel the need do them after the dynamic stuff. Then move onto the movements that you will use in the game so a couple of sprints is fine but include things like changes of direction, backwards running, sideways running etc depending on what you will be doing.

That's quite alright Quinn, your input is appreciated.

The dynamic stretches include repeated movements associated with refereeing games e. backwards, sideways, crossovers etc. The order between static stretching and dynamics stretching is just a preference to what makes me feel looser, but I do usually do static stretching after dynamic stretches as well if I feel particularly tight somewhere (my hamstrings aren't great for example).

In terms of intensity, I usually keep a steady pace but my heart rate will generally not go too much above 80%. Also depends how recent my last game was, if it was 2 or less days previously then I'll be a bit more easy-going, but if it's more than a few days I like to knock the cobwebs out and speed up a bit.

to be honest at the end of the day its down to personal preference, i never do the same warm up every week, i judge what sort of game it is going to be and do it accordingly, if its going to be a hard and/or cold game i do laps and make it a longer warm up, if its warmer and an easier game im up and down the half way line for a shorter warm up.

i was wondering does anyone else put headphones in and pump some tunes while warming up, i do if i don't have neutrals just to help me mentally prepare1

for my way warming i do few jogs to center circle and back i do few gates in and out john cleese and kick up to hands but might add in some side stepping

to be honest at the end of the day its down to personal preference, i never do the same warm up every week, i judge what sort of game it is going to be and do it accordingly, if its going to be a hard and/or cold game i do laps and make it a longer warm up, if its warmer and an easier game im up and down the half way line for a shorter warm up.

i was wondering does anyone else put headphones in and pump some tunes while warming up, i do if i don't have neutrals just to help me mentally prepare1

Well I have never done it but you have given me an idea to create a podcast that I can use on my iPhone that is about 15 mins long that will run through the full warm up and stretches that way I cant miss anything out.

Anyone know how to make and record a podcast?

Reactions: SM
Anyone know how to make and record a podcast?

Software like Audacity is free, will allow you to record voice input, and edit/sync existing audio to create a single file. It's not the greatest at the job but it IS free and you can figure out the basics quite easily just by trial and error.

It's quite tempting to experiment making one.

"Start at the corner flag and sprint down there... do be do be doo... are you there yet you fat b- hooray! surely you've made it by now. Right, have a wee rest you little champion. Now back up the other side. Mind that squirrel!"

going of topic here a tad but we should do a refchat podcast, get different members to do them each week/month e.t.c and they could add warm ups in as well as other stuff they want to do, what do you guys think?

As I referee kids on a Sunday morning I incorporate my warm-up into my pitch inspection. Starting from a corner flag, I check it's okay, then jog at 60% to halfway line and then sprint the rest of the way. Heels up to the goal, walk around it checking it's okay and then knees up to the next corner flag. Same running along the side of the pitch and then side-step to the next goal and after checking it the same to the last corner flag and then a sprint to the halfway line where I do stretches.

Back