Level 5 Referee
Match #17
Wales vs Iran
Friday, 25 November 2022
13:00 local time (10:00 GMT)
Al-Rayyan

Referee: Mario Escobar (GUA)

Assistant Referee 1: Caleb Wales (TRI)
Assistant Referee 2: Juan Carlos Mora Araya (CRC)
Fourth Official: Maguette N'Diaye (SEN)
Reserve Assistant Referee: Djibril Camara (SEN)
Video Assistant Referee: Drew Fischer (CAN)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Fernando Guerrero (MEX)
Offside Video Assistant Referee: Nicolas Taran (URU)
Support Video Assistant Referee: Adil Zourak (MOR)
Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Bruno Pires (BRA)

The Referee Store
Surely VAR will review… did Moore just get kicked in the head while attempting to score… what, nothing?
It’s one of those that is never given because the player has got his shot off. But let’s call it what it is: he got kicked in the head. A foul is a foul and I wish they were penalised

The VAR protocol is so bad. Iran score, fans celebrate. It’s obviously offside on TV, quite obvious that the AR has seen and said in comms as the ref instinctively puts his hand up as the ball goes in.

Just flag it, save us all the pain. Ruins football for me. And so inconsistent. How can a kick in the head get missed?

I think it’s also easy to tell this is not an elite referee based on the signalling and movement. It’s not quite “with the program”.

I think it’s also easy to tell this is not an elite referee based on the signalling and movement. It’s not quite “with the program”.
Had very similar conversation with the wife. She was asking about what some of the referees usually referee in comparison to this level of the game and in some cases, the standard of football is probably a million miles apart.

Football expects a red there surely? I can see an argument against DOGSO but surely an argument for excessive force? I can’t see how they’ve missed that

Good performance by Escobar today.With some people mentioning him not being an elite referee is total rubbish and very disrespectful . To get to this level he is elite.

I've only been in-and-out and I think he was almost uniformly too lenient up until the flurry of yellows at the end. The one Santa mentions in post 8 was a bad foul to miss given I agree it should have been yellow, I've seen one or two other fouls that definitely could have done with a yellow to help lay out the law and then needing VAR to rescue him on one of the clearer reds you'll ever see is the kind of miss that will really count against him too.

Back