Match #33
Wales : England
Tuesday, 29 November 2022
22:00 local time (19:00 GMT 14:00 EST)
Al Rayyan

Referee: Slavko VINCIC (SVN)

AR1: Tomaz Klančnik (SVN)
AR2: Andraz Kovačić (SVN)
Fourth Official: Yoshimi Yamashita (JPN)
Fifth Official: Karen Diaz (MEX)
VAR: Marco Fritz (GER)
AVAR (1): Paolo Valeri (ITA)
Offside AVAR (2): Pawel Sokolnicki (POL)
Support AVAR (3): Bastian Dankert (GER)
Stand-by Offside AVAR (4): Vasile Marinescu (ROU)

The Referee Store
Dan James finds himself in the book for a slightly late challenge there. Has been a few like that from Wales now

And Neco Williams down for a second HAI, makes you question the way it’s working in football again. Should’ve been off for longer in the first place imo

Not too happy with that free kick for Foden in the 49th. Contact looked to be initiated by contact, and unavoidable for Wales, not enough for me

Edit: England have scored off it, not too happy with that

Red for Ramsey? Wouldn’t argue against it, certainly in real time. Minimal chance of playing the ball

Have they change a quick physio treatment after a yellow you don’t need to leave the FOP. Was that Henderson treatment within ‘quickly treated’ definitio?

Can’t, don’t and won’t condone it. That said Wales have been abject so it’s unlikely to affect the result.
I would argue it was the reason our heads went, but we were never going to win like this, gutted. But regardless, shame VAR can’t get involved in situations like that when it’s a dive.

Have they change a quick physio treatment after a yellow you don’t need to leave the FOP. Was that Henderson treatment within ‘quickly treated’ definitio?
I actually think (and I've said this in previous discussions on the topic) that in most cases, referees in the top leagues and competitions have not been getting the intent of this law right. Up until this World Cup, I don't think I've seen more than two occasions when this provision has been used to let an injured player stay on the field after the opponent is cautioned.

Which, given the length of time the law has been in place, is way too few, IMHO. And it looks as if perhaps the IFAB agrees with me, and referees have been told to invoke it more often.

What the Guidelines for Match Officials section says, is that:

As a general guide, the restart should not be delayed for more than about 20–25 seconds beyond the point when everyone was ready for play to restart.

However people seem to be acting as if what it says is that if the player is not ready within 20-25 seconds from the time the trainer comes on, make them leave anyway. Which is not what the law says or (I believe) intends.

I thought Henderson was pretty much ready by the time the ref had finished cautioning Ramsey and setting up for the free kick to be taken - or at least that he was, before a further 25 seconds had elapsed. So I reckon the way this was done is more in keeping with the way the law was supposed to work in the first place.

There was also another game (can't remember which one now) when the injured player was allowed to stay on after the caution in circumstances where I think in most of their league games the same referee would have made the player leave the pitch.

From what I've seen, I suspect some kind of instruction has been issued to referees, telling them that in these situations, they should err on the side of letting the player stay on the field more often.

Think I might be the only one that thinks Foden's was a clear foul 🤷‍♂️
Haven't watched it back, so have the pretty quick replay, but to me looked as through Foden moved into Rodon/Robert's leg, and searched for it too much for me. I will rewatch once I can bring myself to that ;)

Haven't watched it back, so have the pretty quick replay, but to me looked as through Foden moved into Rodon/Robert's leg, and searched for it too much for me. I will rewatch once I can bring myself to that ;)
Theres a challenge from behind that initially missed but then the trailing leg catches Foden's right foot, there's also minor contact as he goes over a player too but for me 1st one is a foul

Back