The Ref Stop

Villa Arsenal

There were quite a few more challenges on Saka that could have been given. And the referee could have warned the captain and given a “team cumulative” - in theory. But we’ve seen that like once in history on TV.

What the referee should have done imho was tighten up the foul tolerance on Saka. There was one in his own half that would have been easy to give and there could have been a show with a warning. Unfortunately i felt the referee was not proactive enough and that meant he lost control of Saka and it lead to the Coutinho handbags.

The Ref Stop
I think we may have different priorities - yours is the dignity of the referee, which is understandable as you yourself are one and probably suffer some abuse at grassroots level. I'm sorry if it's the case, I have only reffed at u12 level so haven't been myself on an end of anything untoward.

My priority is the welfare of the players and enjoyment of the game - just because "most teams do it", it doesn't make it acceptable. As a ref at u12 level I try to stamp out any behaviour that these young players may be picking up from their professional role models - pushing, kicking at the heels, etc

Professional referees need to be positive role models for grassroots football and help eliminate this sort of behaviour.

What is happening to Saka is what has happened to Grealish for years. Unfortunately it’s part of football and referees never really seem to clamp down on it

Back