The Ref Stop

Villa Arsenal

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
DO NOT - I repeat - DO NOT listen to idiot commentators.

Clearly moving ball at a DFK restart leading to promising attack. Stopping the game is not pedantic, not wasting anyone’s time. It is exactly the right decision - correct in law and perfect to stop all hell breaking loose if it leads to goal. This is exactly the kind of unpopular decision that the best referees have to take.

imho of course

The Ref Stop
I want Arsenal to do well and all respect to Arteta… but after last week’s missed red and this I hope Webb instructs the group to take no prisoners next time!

Not holding my breath on that . . . i think Webb feels he has bigger fish to fry first. But it sure would be nice to see. But the reality is that if the PL actually cared, they could fine teams or managers even if they weren’t carded. I think the PL just doesn’t care, or thinks it is part of the “spectacle.”

Quite disappointed with the time wasting again. Martinez to get a caution for time wasting only in the 84th minute is rather disturbing to be quite honest.

Is it part of the game? Yes, but to do it for the majority of a match and only get punished for it 6 mins from time is not on. Also to then continue to obviously do it after the caution? Wow.

Also, not entirely sure how the own goal was not disallowed?

Had Martinez complained, sure it would have been?

I wanted a replay to see if the ball was moving. Regardless, referees don’t enforce that often enough. Seen too many teams get away with it.

Arteta should have been booked for his reaction. I’m a big fan of his, but you can’t mock a referee decision like that regardless on if you agree with it or not.

The own goal was interesting. Were the offside players hindering keepers sight? I’m pretty sure they weren’t.

Two players standing in front of him in offside position as the shot came in.
Aha good shout.. didn’t notice that.

Well, we know that “line of sight” is super strict and it’s gonna need to be bang in line to stand a chance of being called.

Got a still? (I recall one player in front and onside…)

This is the best I can do.
I haven't seen a good angle from behind yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20230218_170508.jpg
    IMG_20230218_170508.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 9
I wanted a replay to see if the ball was moving. Regardless, referees don’t enforce that often enough. Seen too many teams get away with it.

Arteta should have been booked for his reaction. I’m a big fan of his, but you can’t mock a referee decision like that regardless on if you agree with it or not.

The own goal was interesting. Were the offside players hindering keepers sight? I’m pretty sure they weren’t.
You are joking, right? Last year Xhaka scored against Man United and Nketiah was also standing in an offside position in his way, goal rightly allowed.
They're not attempting to play the ball, not preventing an opponent to get to it (indeed Martinez does get to it but not in the way he would have wished) and not obstructing play in any way.
I think that after Rashford/Fernandes farce, nothing like this will be disallowed for offside.

Aston Villa commited 13 fouls, around half of which targeting one player - Saka. They got zero bookings - this is something I want PGMOL to sort out not a manager getting angry at a decision on the sidelines.

You are joking, right? Last year Xhaka scored against Man United and Nketiah was also standing in an offside position in his way, goal rightly allowed.
They're not attempting to play the ball, not preventing an opponent to get to it (indeed Martinez does get to it but not in the way he would have wished) and not obstructing play in any way.
I think that after Rashford/Fernandes farce, nothing like this will be disallowed for offside.
I’m not saying it should. We didn’t get a replay from behind the goal to see if keepers line of sight was affected. I presume var looked at that and decided it wasn’t.

I think the word "clearly" does a lot of heavy lifting in the rules. Hard to justify they clearly obstructed his line of vision when he dived in the right direction.

Aston Villa commited 13 fouls, around half of which targeting one player - Saka. They got zero bookings - this is something I want PGMOL to sort out not a manager getting angry at a decision on the sidelines.
I disagree.

Not every foul is a yellow card. If teams are clever, they might foul "rotationally". 13 fouls isn't really that high when you look at the average foul counts of other teams.

And Arteta's antics are definitely something that PGMOL need to look at, especially when the behaviour at the top trickles down all the way to grassroots level. People then think it's acceptable to act like that if people at the top can get away with it.

There is a law against what you call "clever rotational fouling". I just want the referee to enforce the laws. View attachment 6380
Yes and I understand that point, most teams do it. I'm sure Arsenal have gotten away with it a few times this season as well. If we want consistency, then we need to look at decisions across the whole season not just one game.

But for me and I'm sure some other members would agree, Arteta needs to be a positive role model for grassroots football, not someone who can get away with dissent, delaying the restart etc. And that's something that PGMOL need to enforce.

If referees enforced the laws as they're written, I'm sure you'd be complaining about Arteta being sent off every week for being consistently warned about being outside his technical area.

Back