A&H

U18 drinks break

I did one drinks break per half today, but pushed half time to the absolute maximum for the competition, which was 10 minutes. 9:30 kickoff and it was still really tough.

Reactions: Ori
The Referee Store
I did one drinks break per half today, but pushed half time to the absolute maximum for the competition, which was 10 minutes. 9:30 kickoff and it was still really tough.
I pushed the half time to 10 mins.
Got one tomorrow at 10am, but it’s not as sunny. Still hot though.

I also placed the “dug outs” at the bottom of the pitch which was in the shade with only the coaches in the centre (no official dugouts on these pitches). U15 girls matches and I’m responsible for them.

Only one I didn’t look after was myself.

Also had to tell off some boys who were being inappropriately behaved on the touch line.

We had emails on our leagues to have drink breaks. I kind of suffered today as I had 2 games though when I accepted them it was August and raining.

It’s a catch 22 do they postpone games today because of the heat which at the amateur level i ref where none of us are athletes might have been a good call only to have fixtures back up in April due to winter cancellations.

Reactions: Ori
Is that the protocol in youth football? If an ambulance is called then game is abandoned? I presume common sense should apply, but is there a clear cut guideline?
I've heard this guideline mentioned recently. Doesn't make sense to me.

I mean, it's dependent on factors, but I would only abandon a game in that instance if:
  • It's clear that at least one team won't be able to continue, or
  • There are more games on the same field scheduled later and there won't be time to complete the game in full, or
  • There are no lights and its a match held late in the afternoon, and there won't be time to complete the game in full.
Obviously in all circumstances, making sure the player is receiving the treatment they need and looked after, before making a decision is key.

Be careful what you "formally" agree to. Law is clear there can only be one drinks break per half.

Reason I say this is I know of one team that will use ANYTHING to their advantage, and they got a game replayed because the referee had emailed both teams to say he would allow two drinks breaks per half. By all means engineer an unofficial drinks break, but don't formally do anything that is contrary to law, and certainly don't put it in writing that they can refer to.

Back