A&H

U18 drinks break

Is that the protocol in youth football? If an ambulance is called then game is abandoned? I presume common sense should apply, but is there a clear cut guideline?

The Referee Store
Is that the protocol in youth football? If an ambulance is called then game is abandoned? I presume common sense should apply, but is there a clear cut guideline?
It wasn't youth, it was the FA Cup so the highest cup competition in England.

Reactions: Ori
I lower my head in shame ;)

Thanks though. The whole drinks thing is just a prime example that common sense sometimes prevails!
The difference is at senior levels they will set temperature thresholds to permit a drinks / cooling break. At lower levels referees can be a lot more flexible as there isn't likely to be any comeback on them for using common sense.

So funnily enough while prepping for the weekend fixtures (u15 and u16 girls fixtures), I was confirming with the managers the details and also told them that it will be a hot one this weekend and I will be adding a drinks break. Both managers said thank you and agreed it’s important.
Then I wake up this morning and I get an email with the referee Secretary stating that the league has no issue with drinks/cooling breaks as it’s going to be a hot one this weekend.

As I said previously……sometimes common sense prevails.

Common sense would be to cancel all youth football tomorrow for areas forecast to get over 30 degrees. The heat index is very high with the accompanying humidity, so don't bother sweating as it won't do you any good 😓
I don't agree with County Level games for adults either as the risk for 'non-athletes' is not insignificant

Gotta protect the pitches when it rains in the winter however :mad:

Common sense would be to cancel all youth football tomorrow for areas forecast to get over 30 degrees. The heat index is very high with the accompanying humidity, so don't bother sweating as it won't do you any good 😓
I don't agree with County Level games for adults either as the risk for 'non-athletes' is not insignificant

Gotta protect the pitches when it rains in the winter however :mad:
I don’t agree with that. With correct hydration it’s fine. Obviously if we start hitting 40 degrees then I change my view.
Adjusting kick off times is also useful. 10am is fine. Basically avoiding the midday heat and sun.

I don’t agree with that. With correct hydration it’s fine. Obviously if we start hitting 40 degrees then I change my view.
Adjusting kick off times is also useful. 10am is fine. Basically avoiding the midday heat and sun.
Doubt very much you'd have many Physicians agree with you
For athletes, I think the risk assessment is OK, but not for recreational participants. That said, even if it was approaching 40 degrees, the semi-pros would still be playing, as they did on Saturday 13th August last year when it was 37 degrees with an amber weather warning and ambulance worker strike action

Seems in this country we can’t handle the hot or cold.
With the exception of very cold weather for young kids and definitely the exception of frozen ground, cold (and wind... and rain is good/safe)

My 14 year old is playing on clay based pitch on Sunday which will be like concrete. I've seen lots of summer injuries that I don't happen during the winter

Last edited:
With the exception of very cold weather for young kids and definitely the exception of frozen ground, cold (and wind... and rain is good/safe)

My 14 year old is playing on clay based pitch on Sunday which will be like concrete. I've seen lots of summer injuries that I don't happen during the winter
Spot on for this, I’ve got a 2 PM kick off sunday and will have multiple cooling breaks per half

So I know we always moan about managers and parents, but just had a call from the manger of my midday kick off. Said he had concerned parents and just wanted confirmation of what I planned.

I said to him that I will do as many drinks breaks as necessary and if at any point anyone is concerned about player welfare then they must bring it to my attention. I would rather call the game rather than risk anyone’s wellbeing.

I told him to make sure that everyone brings plenty of water with them and that I will have some too if needed.

Just glad to see people taking well being seriously, but it’s only 40 min halves with 5 min half time.
My plan is 1 drinks break per half with an extended half time interval.

Is that enough? If i feel they need another break am I allowed to do so?

So I know we always moan about managers and parents, but just had a call from the manger of my midday kick off. Said he had concerned parents and just wanted confirmation of what I planned.

I said to him that I will do as many drinks breaks as necessary and if at any point anyone is concerned about player welfare then they must bring it to my attention. I would rather call the game rather than risk anyone’s wellbeing.

I told him to make sure that everyone brings plenty of water with them and that I will have some too if needed.

Just glad to see people taking well being seriously, but it’s only 40 min halves with 5 min half time.
My plan is 1 drinks break per half with an extended half time interval.

Is that enough? If i feel they need another break am I allowed to do so?

Use your judgement - 2 breaks in the second half might be prudent, say 15 and 30 minute marks. But also use stoppages to your advantage. A slightly longer one can become an impromptu drinks break.

The only part I’ll demur with is the half time break. Check league rules for the maximum amount of time permitted. Most leagues I’m on set a limit of 10 minutes, but if 5 is a league rule don’t fall foul of a pedant.

Had a 10am game and it wasn’t toooo bad here (under 15s, had a break midway through each half for drinks) but I’m now sat at a cafe before my 2:30 match and it is BAKING.

Was a lovely downhill cycle from one to the other, but not looking forward to doing that the other way about 5ish. Might camp over, barricade myself in the changing room and claim squatter’s rights 😂

U14 friendly this morning and it was HOT. 2.30pm ko Open Age on 3g this afternoon. Really not looking forward to that one! I am looking forward to a cold one later though!

just completed my double header. 10am and midday kick off.
Did 2 drinks breaks per half. Was very needed. It was baking.
I have to say that I am shattered after that. I drank lots of water and I made sure I brought extra water for the kids. Lucky I did as they had ran out.

What’s the weather tomorrow? ;)

Back