A&H

Thoughts on this, causing some debate.

The Referee Store
This is why I don't center referee more competitive games. I just stay with very young kids because I don't want to be in position to make this call in a competitive game. I would have thought everyone would be in agreement that it wasn't a foul since he got the ball and then the player "tripped" over him. However, the first two responses are penalty and a card. I'm not saying it shouldn't be a penalty and a card, I just have no idea how to call these types of plays.

Hmm. Already 2 PKs against the team, and we see a tackle like that? Players don’t learn? Grudge match? Blow out and just don’t care?

This is why I don't center referee more competitive games. I just stay with very young kids because I don't want to be in position to make this call in a competitive game. I would have thought everyone would be in agreement that it wasn't a foul since he got the ball and then the player "tripped" over him. However, the first two responses are penalty and a card. I'm not saying it shouldn't be a penalty and a card, I just have no idea how to call these types of plays.
I think it would be more clear from the refs angle. The attacker doesn’t trip over the defender. The defender goes through the attacker with force. Not the same thing at all. But harder to see from this angle than the Rs angle. I think with the Rs angle this is likely a very easy call.

We are looking at the offender's action. The challenge he makes is reckless, because he makes it showing little to no regard, or as law says, with disregard for the danger to, or the consequence for the opponent.
Yes he wins the ball but that doesn't give Carte Blanche to completely wipe the opponent out with the other parts of his body.
If you watch the slow mo, the attacker doesn't trip over the challenge, the players trailing leg absolutely cleans him out.
To be honest, I park this in the orange category, a little higher on the point of contact or a little more force and he'd be walking.

Penalty all day. Winning the ball is not everything.
This is a reckless foul tackle imo and should have been accompanied with a yellow card.

Just read comments , yellow card was given. Great and strong refereeing.
I watched it the one time at normal speed, then stopped it. Penalty and yellow I said.

And then saw a level 3 had agreed with me 😉

Foot is high and reckless on the follow through. That's good enough for me.

I do think he only wins the ball so cleanly because the opposing player sees him coming and decides he wants to go to work next week and adjusts himself for the impact. Lots of things reckless about that challenge. Yellow and penalty for me

Got to admit, one look at that in real time on a Sunday morning and I wouldn't be giving a penalty. I'm willing to admit i'd be wrong in many people's eyes, but honestly, i don't think i'd give it, unless i've got a great view of that trailing leg.

Good call, trailing right leg straightens and sweeps his opponent's leg on the follow through.

Some of the comments on the twitter post are beyond laughable!

This is one of those tackles that referees know is a foul but most players will think is fine because he got the ball first is ok. I'm not sure a pen would be given in the PL to be honest, and quite possibly the referee will point to the ball to explain his decision, reinforcing the wrong idea.

Penalty and MINIMUM of a caution.
With the benefit of the replay I'm leaning more toward red. He absolutely whallops him with his right leg in a way that simple cannot be accidental.

Penalty according to the rules. But it doesn't get given in the Premier League as they seem to have their own rule of "he got the ball first".

Also, especially those who are giving a penalty in the above. Are you giving a penalty against Manchester United in the first highlight in the video?

Absolutely not, but that's because it's a very different challenge to that in the OP.

Back