A&H

There's no VAR in quadruple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The angle was shown on Live TV however!!! If the ref sees the angle, he disallows it because they're already on next year's Laws
I highly doubt it. You are saying (UEFA) referees apply next year's laws before they come into effect.

Should that mean they also apply a dropped ball if the ball touches a referee? Or the winner of the coin toss can choose to kick off?

Edit: or the big one, goal kick can be in play before it leave the PA?

The Referee Store
I highly doubt it. You are saying (UEFA) referees apply next year's laws before they come into effect.

Should that mean they also apply a dropped ball if the ball touches a referee? Or the winner of the coin toss can choose to kick off?

The tail wags the dog where the LOTG are concerned. Virtually any contact with the hand is deemed HB in Europe (and around the world)
This so called interpretation (sorry, fabrication) precedes the formal change afoot

Last edited:
UEFA’s interpretation done me no favours tonight...teams wanted handball for everything 🙄. “It’s got to be deliberate lads”, “no it hasn’t”, “yes it has, read the laws”, “shurup” (Kevin the teenager esq)...he asked me if I was joking when I went back and booked him for dissent. Kids eh.

UEFA’s interpretation done me no favours tonight...teams wanted handball for everything 🙄. “It’s got to be deliberate lads”, “no it hasn’t”, “yes it has, read the laws”, “shurup” (Kevin the teenager esq)...he asked me if I was joking when I went back and booked him for dissent. Kids eh.

I find if you say you're not giving those and you're consistent with it, they usually shut up and get on with things. I think the variance in expectations is probably in part because referees apply it differently, so no one's got a clue what's right or not even within the scope of the laws today.

Next year that’s a handball, it’s not this year. What is worrying is that the ref indicated it came off his hip, when it clearly strikes his hand, regardless of any interpretation of whether or not that constitutes handball

I'm a blue but this was my thoughts too. Even if it did not his hand, under the current law it's still a goal. Next season it should be ruled out. VAR worked brilliantly on the night, no complaints from me. I sympathise with those that say it takes the emotion out of goals now. It will get to a point where teams won't celebrate until VAR confirms the goal and that is a real problem. It will change those crucial seconds after a big goal which are huge to players and fans alike.

I'm all for VAR and it worked well again on Wednesday but the emotional impact is going to be bigger than expected in the long run. Why would anyone go to the stadium now because even after a goal is scored everyone will have to watch a big screen whilst it's being checked. These are the issues that football will have to address in the long run with VAR.

Of course UEFA are already applying next year's handball law, which is being changed to match their current application.

Last edited:
(Have UEFA yet said which angles they gave the referee?)

So far we've got Dermot Gallagher, Shaka Hislop (who is on the IFAB advisory panel that looked at changing the application and now the law), and even Mark Clattenburg saying it should have been disallowed.

Spanish referee Iturralde González: “Manchester City are out because the VAR wasn't used properly. When Çakir comes back from seeing the images he tells the players 'I didn't see anything. It hit his thigh.' They didn't play him the view from behind where you can see it hits the elbow. The error from the VAR is not showing the two key images. Why?"

Why indeed when people at the game were showing the clip (during the VAR review) that showed Llorente moving his arm down toward the ball...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back