A&H

The Time Old Classic... Shouting "Leave It"

Silhouette

Target of Abuse
Level 7 Referee
Afternoon Refs,

I was nearly nutted for my take on this law – and having conferred with multiple referees on the matter, I just wanted to get everyone elses buy in.

If im right, how do you handle the explanation/delivery of the rule… If im wrong, can someone outline the law im breaking, as I don’t ever recall seeing the phrase “Leave it” in the LOTG.

So,

Red is standing next to Red. Not a blue to be seen for at least 15-20 yards.

Red shouts to Red “Leave it” to which Red 1 steps over the ball and Red 2 absolutely top bins it for the opening goal.

Blue go crazy. Im confronted by a number of players – 3 of which clain to be “Level 5 Refs” and confirm that what ive just done is (rhymes with) “Rollocks”.

So im not having any of it, because he wasn’t putting any other player off (my understanding of the verbal distraction law – and automatic yellow card) but simply didn’t “put a name on it”.

No player was duped, top bin, great goal.

After the game, the manager (who had no qualms with my decision – or at least didn’t make them known to me) I sat with and went through the LOTG handbook and pointed out the distraction part of the laws and the misunderstanding people have of not being able to say the words “Leave it”.

So,

Happy to listen to some much needed words of wisdom.

The Referee Store
Spot on, this misconception drives me round the bend, even more so when referees penalise it without cautioning.

Although I'm kind of struggling to see how the nearest player was 15-20 yards away - difficult to picture that amount of space when the player is within shooting distance.

You'll hear lots of things from 'referees' on the field - usually the moment they open their mouth you'll realise that they're quite clearly not referees, or if they are then lord have mercy on any game they inflicted themselves upon!!

Your approach is correct. In my late teens/early 20's with a fairly young face I ran into this problem a lot - it's a bit hard to tell somebody who's been playing for longer than I've been alive that 'no, saying 'mine' is not, and has never been, against the laws'. They just won't believe me. Earning respect during the game will help - the fact that some referees perpetuate this myth doesn't help.

I like that you took the time to go through it with the manager - well done. Of course this won't be a good option a lot of the time, but in this case it seems to have been.

If I was being approached by one of the 'level 5 refs' I'd say "Tell you what, come see me after the game and I'll pull out the laws. If you can show me where it says they can't shout 'leave it' to a teammate, I'll report the error to the league myself and ask them to reverse the result". Might work, might not :p

Sometimes a brief explanation helps - sometimes you need to be firmer if players are getting in your face. They're just losing their nut because they conceded a goal and don't want to blame themselves.

I'd say "Tell you what, come see me after the game and I'll pull out the laws. If you can show me where it says they can't shout 'leave it' to a teammate, I'll report the error to the league myself and ask them to reverse the result". Might work, might not :p

I have a copy of the laws, but I think its pretty old. Does anyone know where I can get a hard copy version of the 2016 one?

PS At Full Time, when collecting money, the guy/Lv5 Ref shouted from the back "Give him another £20 so he can go buy a rule book".

Personally, I dont think any Lv5 Ref would refer to the LOTG as either "Rules" or a "Rule Book".

Although I'm kind of struggling to see how the nearest player was 15-20 yards away - difficult to picture that amount of space when the player is within shooting distance.

Two defenders deep in the box and the guy was quite far out too. Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but they we're easily on the penalty mark and the guy was 10 yards out the 18 yard area - easily. 'Twas a worldie!

I have a copy of the laws, but I think its pretty old. Does anyone know where I can get a hard copy version of the 2016 one?

PS At Full Time, when collecting money, the guy/Lv5 Ref shouted from the back "Give him another £20 so he can go buy a rule book".

Personally, I dont think any Lv5 Ref would refer to the LOTG as either "Rules" or a "Rule Book".

Personally I'd have shoved a yellow card in his direction and pointed out that the £10 I have just collected from him on behalf of county might mean they give me a free "rule book" ...!!

I had the exact same situation pretty much to the word - I'm almost tempted to check I didn't post it - during Pre Season.

I usually find players are interested to learn the actual 'rule', however on the days they know better it's a nightmare.

This seasons choice of irritance however seems to be FK in penalty areas not coming out. Had it 4 times! And every time been told it's not a goal kick!

This seasons choice of irritance however seems to be FK in penalty areas not coming out. Had it 4 times! And every time been told it's not a goal kick!

I once had this when I was a level 4. Sadly, it was my assistant who called out "it's not a goal kick"! I'm pleased to say this lad is now level 4 himself.

I've carded in narky games for the shouted "BOUNCE" comment when a high ball comes down for a defender to control... They look at you with those puppy dog eyes and the gutted feeling that something they thought was OK is clearly not...

Also once caused a near riot when i had a saved penalty re-took because a defender shouted "he's missed it" as he struck the penalty!!!
Hehe, they don't like it up em!!! ;)

I've carded in narky games for the shouted "BOUNCE" comment when a high ball comes down for a defender to control... They look at you with those puppy dog eyes and the gutted feeling that something they thought was OK is clearly not...

Also once caused a near riot when i had a saved penalty re-took because a defender shouted "he's missed it" as he struck the penalty!!!

Urgh, cautions for "Bounce"... I think they are my head and shoulders leader!

Then its the whole "I was talking to myself" nonsense.

Yep, plenty of retakes too for people shouting "Unlucky Number 9" just as they're taking it.

The awesome karma is that they *always* score the second one.

Hopefully. Lesson has been learnt.

I once had this when I was a level 4. Sadly, it was my assistant who called out "it's not a goal kick"! I'm pleased to say this lad is now level 4 himself.

I had a debate with a chap on my line last season who is now a level 4 referee as he was adamant that only direct free kicks had to leave the area. I just ended by saying that i need a copy of his LOTG as mine are obviously wrong.

Kind of wondering where you draw the line on that....a pretty common shout round here is "he don't want it!" when a keeper or defender with an iffy touch is passed the ball. I've always taken it as an instruction to a teammate to put the player under some pressure, but I'm not sure how different that really is to "BOUNCE", given that it's obviously supposed to get in the opponent's head to some degree as well.

I had a debate with a chap on my line last season who is now a level 4 referee as he was adamant that only direct free kicks had to leave the area. I just ended by saying that i need a copy of his LOTG as mine are obviously wrong.

We'll have to exchange their names on Thursday evening then! I hope it's not the same person.

This is one aspect of the game that many players coaches & supporters simply don't understand. I was exactly the same until I took up the whistle. In one match I was in goal and each time I was about to kick it out the forward shouted loudly "red's ball" obv to put me off. I complained to the ref but he didn't see it my way.
Last season refereeing I had a whole touchline having a go at me for an unpunished non-distracting "mine" call and then looks of complete disbelief on giving a freekick for a "bounce" shout. I explained the rule to the young lad and 'let him off a £10 because he was 13 and no-one in his whole football career ever correctly explained what he was allowed to say. Coaches are simply teaching kids wrong rules.
One question though referees, where is the free kick from, where the ball is at the time of the offence or where the offender is? Ta

Kind of wondering where you draw the line on that....a pretty common shout round here is "he don't want it!" when a keeper or defender with an iffy touch is passed the ball. I've always taken it as an instruction to a teammate to put the player under some pressure, but I'm not sure how different that really is to "BOUNCE", given that it's obviously supposed to get in the opponent's head to some degree as well.

Not a lot of difference I guess, apart from maybe one is shouted at the exact time when a defender is at maximum concentration to clear something and is clearly said to put that opponent off. (Like me tapping the floor with my snooker cue just as my brother takes a shot, even when I don't do it he's expecting it now and it works a treat LOL). Your example I suppose is a gee up to a colleague to put pressure on something happening in front of him and not directly aimed at putting off a defender directly.

Not a lot of difference I guess, apart from maybe one is shouted at the exact time when a defender is at maximum concentration to clear something and is clearly said to put that opponent off. (Like me tapping the floor with my snooker cue just as my brother takes a shot, even when I don't do it he's expecting it now and it works a treat LOL). Your example I suppose is a gee up to a colleague to put pressure on something happening in front of him and not directly aimed at putting off a defender directly.
That's exactly why I don't penalise it (well, that and the fact that no defender has ever appealed for a foul!), but it's hard to ignore the fact that the defender will almost always swing a leg and clear it when he hears that shout, rather than take the harder option and try to play it out.

That's exactly why I don't penalise it (well, that and the fact that no defender has ever appealed for a foul!), but it's hard to ignore the fact that the defender will almost always swing a leg and clear it when he hears that shout, rather than take the harder option and try to play it out.
Not a great difference but enough difference to be considered a yellow card in certain circumstances...

This is one aspect of the game that many players coaches & supporters simply don't understand. I was exactly the same until I took up the whistle. In one match I was in goal and each time I was about to kick it out the forward shouted loudly "red's ball" obv to put me off. I complained to the ref but he didn't see it my way.
Last season refereeing I had a whole touchline having a go at me for an unpunished non-distracting "mine" call and then looks of complete disbelief on giving a freekick for a "bounce" shout. I explained the rule to the young lad and 'let him off a £10 because he was 13 and no-one in his whole football career ever correctly explained what he was allowed to say. Coaches are simply teaching kids wrong rules.
One question though referees, where is the free kick from, where the ball is at the time of the offence or where the offender is? Ta
Where the offender is !

Back