A&H

The Time Old Classic... Shouting "Leave It"

When I first arrived in France I was surprised! All the players use of French equivalent of "Leave It", and there is never a complaint. I know it was one of the main complaints from players in England, so I was taken aback.

The Referee Store
I've carded in narky games for the shouted "BOUNCE" comment when a high ball comes down for a defender to control... They look at you with those puppy dog eyes and the gutted feeling that something they thought was OK is clearly not...
OK, maybe I'm just showing my ignorance here but what is the shout of "BOUNCE" supposed to mean and/or achieve? In all my years of playing, refereeing and spectating, I've never come across this phenomenon.

OK, maybe I'm just showing my ignorance here but what is the shout of "BOUNCE" supposed to mean and/or achieve? In all my years of playing, refereeing and spectating, I've never come across this phenomenon.
At lower OA levels here its pretty common in my experience, It has only one hope when its shouted to try and put off the defender from concentrating on the high ball coming his way...

Yep, plenty of retakes too for people shouting "Unlucky Number 9" just as they're taking it.

I'm curious to know which law, or part of a law, allows a retake of a penalty for people shouting just before the kick is taken. I agree it's common sense to allow it - and fortunately I've never come across this - but I can't see it in LOTG.

I think he means 'as it's taken' and that would be verbally distracts, so, that old catch all, USB, I would surmise...

I'm curious to know which law, or part of a law, allows a retake of a penalty for people shouting just before the kick is taken. I agree it's common sense to allow it - and fortunately I've never come across this - but I can't see it in LOTG.
If the shout if before the ball is kicked (which presumably it would have to be if it distracts the kicker), you could argue that the ball never entered play as you intended to stop play at the moment of the shout, in order to issue the YC?

I'm curious to know which law, or part of a law, allows a retake of a penalty for people shouting just before the kick is taken
Page 96, LotG 2016-17, pdf edition (edited to show only the relevant parts):
If, before the ball is in play, [...] the goalkeeper or a team-mate infringes the Laws of the Game: •  [...] if the ball does not enter the goal, the kick is retaken

OK, so which law of the game is a player infringing by shouting to distract the penalty taker? This thread is about the fact that shouting "leave it" is not an offense.

I'd love to be able to have the penalty retaken, it absolutely makes sense, but I'd like to be able to back that decision with the appropriate law.

No, but as we've established, shouting to put off an opponent falls under USB and is an offence.
Why would it be any different at a PK? USB is broad and permits us to apply the law to a number of situations which we know aren't acceptable.

OK, so which law of the game is a player infringing by shouting to distract the penalty taker? This thread is about the fact that shouting "leave it" is not an offense.

I'd love to be able to have the penalty retaken, it absolutely makes sense, but I'd like to be able to back that decision with the appropriate law.

The law that the player was potentially (although not necessarily) infringing, is the following part of Law 12:
verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart

I don't think anyone, in a response on this thread has said that shouting "leave it" is not an offence (and if they did, they were wrong). What people (myself included) have pointed out however, is that no particular form of wording is necessarily an offence, until or unless it distracts an opponent. So you can't say, before it happens, that shouting "leave it" is, or is not an offence - you have to judge each instance on its merits.

Son's U14s match today, FA appointed referee. On two occasions, once each side, he penalised shouts of "mine" when team mates were going for the same ball despite no opponents being 15/20 yards of the ball. :facepalm::eek:

Back