Should the freekick wall 'draught excluder' be outlawed in the LOTG

• Yes

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That is only after ball is in play. You can't stop (not allow) them from doing it. You can only advise them against it and penalise it after they have done it. (Much like for a a FK an attacker standing behind the wall in front of keeper in an obvious offside position)
Would you still penalise if no ball or player goes near said player?

The Ref Stop
That is only after ball is in play. You can't stop (not allow) them from doing it. You can only advise them against it and penalise it after they have done it. (Much like for a a FK an attacker standing behind the wall in front of keeper in an obvious offside position)
Would you still penalise if no ball or player goes near said player?
"Whilst trying to play the ball..."

Are you supporting my argument or opposing it?

I looks like the latter but feels like the former 🤣
Might have quoted wrong post.

My point was PIADM has to involve whilst attempting to play the ball so lying on the goal line, not attempting to play the ball is not an offence

I'm surprised attacking teams don't just drill the ball along the ground in the hope it hits the excluders arms. I mean, they'd clearly be in an unnatural position

I'm surprised attacking teams don't just drill the ball along the ground in the hope it hits the excluders arms. I mean, they'd clearly be in an unnatural position
See earlier posts from me. Unnatural position is not a problem. Making the body unnaturally bigger is. It's quite a distinction as well. But if you're lay on the floor with arms pinned to body hard pressed to say the arms are making body unnaturally bigger

Fair point. The ball would probably get stuck under them, and it could lead to attacking players trying to kick it through them. I still think it's a serious accident waiting to happen

Fair point. The ball would probably get stuck under them, and it could lead to attacking players trying to kick it through them. I still think it's a serious accident waiting to happen
On the flip side to that, goalkeepers diving at attackers feet is an accident not only waiting to happen, but has caused injuries. But are you really going to stop them from doing this?

Last edited:
Reactions: one
Buuuuuut you don't get low free kicks...so its not going to happen.

Pretty strange thread this

At which point it can become playing in a dangerous manner. Until then, it's nothing.

Buuuuuut you don't get low free kicks...so its not going to happen.

Pretty strange thread this
Agree. Feels like the thread is trying to address a problem that doesn't exist - the very definition of refereeing busyness we should avoid !

There is a long enough list of real problems to pick from ....

Playing in a dangerous manner​

Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player themself) and includes preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.

Is a man laying down behind a wall trying to play the ball?

Agree. Feels like the thread is trying to address a problem that doesn't exist - the very definition of refereeing busyness we should avoid !

There is a long enough list of real problems to pick from ....
48% of people would disagree with you 😉

I think it’s a stretch to say it’s a problem that doesn’t exist. It’s a relatively new tactic that has come in but it will certainly become a problem when a player gets seriously injured when a stud from a size 13 goes through their face.

I would put it in a similar category to law 15.1 “all opponents must stand 2m away from the touch line” - it probably wasn’t a problem that existed until the long throw became a heavily used tactic so defending teams tried to come up with a way to combat it

Ignore the above post as I didn't look at page 2 to see this has already been mentioned 😆

Interesting one though, maybe one for @JamesL to contact his mate at IFAB about...

Does a player lying behind the wall become part of that wall?
As we know, an attacker can quite happily stand amongst a 'wall' of 2 players because the law refers to a wall of 3 or more players. If you have a wall of 2 players standing and one laying behind them (unlikely maybe, but still), would this then constitute a wall of 3 or more? or not?

Back