The Ref Stop

Swindon Supermarine

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Player got 2 yellows, leading to a red.

But not one of them is dissent or a foul...

First is for diving... Second for stopping his run at the ball on a penalty kick.

Brave?

The Ref Stop
Agree. A referee making brave calls means making calls that are correct but unexpected. Both these yellows are obvious, correct and expected.

I would say though we can say the player was somewhat brave to try the moves but he came off second best against the referee ☺️

I'm watching it very very small, but I'm not entirely convinced that's an illegal movement on the penalty.
Tough situation because there's no way of sitting on the fence, you either allow the goal or you dismiss the player for a second caution, but I think this is the same sort of technique a lot of higher level players use that looks illegal but actually by the letter is legal as the delay is in the run up not in the shot itself. Again though, I'm watching it on a very small screen, so I could be wrong.

Edit: As below, watched again on phone and I am wrong.

Last edited:
I'm watching it very very small, but I'm not entirely convinced that's an illegal movement on the penalty.
Tough situation because there's no way of sitting on the fence, you either allow the goal or you dismiss the player for a second caution, but I think this is the same sort of technique a lot of higher level players use that looks illegal but actually by the letter is legal as the delay is in the run up not in the shot itself. Again though, I'm watching it on a very small screen, so I could be wrong.
Can't agree. The run up is complete. Watch the left foot, it's planted and never moves again. This is precisely the kind of penalty this law was introduced to outlaw.

Good refereeing, great movement from the corner to change his viewing angle to see the simulation.

Not sure I would have given the penalty based purely on proximity, but our view is different to the referee’s.

Textbook feint which should be penalised, even the member of the crowd knew it straight away.

The move high level players use has the pause one step before the one in OP which makes theirs legal.

Good refereeing, great movement from the corner to change his viewing angle to see the simulation.

Not sure I would have given the penalty based purely on proximity, but our view is different to the referee’s.

Textbook feint which should be penalised, even the member of the crowd knew it straight away.
Agreed. Although there is momentary pause which I would guess is to see if the player appeals.
Also, rather than put arm immediately up into the air to indicate indirect, I would signal the other way to indicate offence by attacker and then raise arm in air before being taken to signal indirect

Also, rather than put arm immediately up into the air to indicate indirect, I would signal the other way to indicate offence by attacker and then raise arm in air before being taken to signal indirect
I didn't realise until last season that this was actually acceptable strangely, but it's a very valid point. I always felt it wasn't clear if I just raised the arm, but I didn't know if the signal of direction meant it was a direct free kick, but have now been advised I can signal direction first and then signal IDFK afterwards in this situation, just so it's clearer for everyone.

Agreed. Although there is momentary pause which I would guess is to see if the player appeals.
The logic behind this is that as soon as you blow whistle some defenders and their bench may think you have fallen for the dive and giving the pen. To avoid any possible dissent we need to communicate what the intent of the whistle is as soon as it's blown. I have found taking the yellow card out immediately also works well. Even better if you point the direction and take yellow card out simultaneously.

Watched it again now on my phone which shows it clearer and I do agree with you all, it is illegal.
You have to be watching the kicker carefully, but it is a clear one.

For me, it's also a good reminder of why as referee you should leave keeper off the line to your AR (if you have NARs).

You can't possibly be looking carefully enough at keeper, taker and encroachment all at the same time.

Pet peeve of mine is referees who choose to take all 3 and are effectively saying they are not bothering with at least one of them. Either that or they have a magic 3rd eye 😄

You have to be watching the kicker carefully, but it is a clear one.

For me, it's also a good reminder of why as referee you should leave keeper off the line to your AR (if you have NARs).

You can't possibly be looking carefully enough at keeper, taker and encroachment all at the same time.

Pet peeve of mine is referees who choose to take all 3 and are effectively saying they are not bothering with at least one of them. Either that or they have a magic 3rd eye 😄
Absolutely right and there are Referees who do this and often get themselves into difficulties eg when the penalty is saved/parried etc. The reason for them doing what they are doing is normally two fold - they either definitely don’t want a retake because of goalkeeper movement or they don’t trust their NARs. However, so long as they provide their NARs with some specific guidance within their pre-match instructions (& assuming they follow them), then their should not be any issues.

Back