A&H

Stepped Approach = Tipping off the Opposition

CO. DOWN REF

Level 7 Referee
Good competitive derby game today (OA). One young lad made a clumsy tackle (already on a yellow) and on balance more careless than reckless. Had a few other minor misdemeanours before but nothing caution worthy. . Rather than going for the 2nd yellow bring in skipper and warn that's it, nowhere else to go if anything else. Shortly afterwards, he gets subbed off. That is called tipping off the opposition! Apparently too reluctant (according to the manager) to use cards as well despite 8 cautions, 6 to the opposition. Right on top of an other lad on a yellow who went down fairly easily in penalty area but there was a combination of a little contact and tripping over his own feet - that's called bottling it (did have a word because he was on borderline - clear contact saved him). This approach always seems to get backs up - sometimes I think it would be easier just to flash the cards!

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I would do what you but I'd say right your already on a caution another clumsy or reckless tackle your off

I might get shot down here, but by this stage I wouldn't have involved the captain at all. His part is much earlier on, before the first caution.

Bringing the captain in when you did could be misconstrued. A very public boll&?king and last warning might have served you better.

But at the end of the day you were in the middle and did what you felt was right in that moment. Managers will moan whatever!!

I might get shot down here, but by this stage I wouldn't have involved the captain at all. His part is much earlier on, before the first caution.

Bringing the captain in when you did could be misconstrued. A very public boll&?king and last warning might have served you better.

But at the end of the day you were in the middle and did what you felt was right in that moment. Managers will moan whatever!!
Captains can be used to your advantage; you're passing the buck on to him to take action then.

You did absolutely the right thing.

Bring the skipper in so that everyone knows what you're saying.

Well played sir!

I see what you're getting at, but I think bringing in the captain for the final pre-booking warning is the officially advised procedure.

I personally don't ever bother to specifically find them and wave them over. The only thing I usually bother to say specifically to the captains at the coin toss is that he's welcome to join and listen if I'm talking to or booking one of his players. I feel that puts the onus on them to come over and also to enforce whatever I've said after. It's then up to them if they do that to try and help their players stay on - not my problem by that point.

If they're helpful always bring them in, that way they've always known what's going on. That way when you follow through with it they'll be more likely to support you.

If they're not helpful. Never bother. Never ever ever....

If they're helpful always bring them in, that way they've always known what's going on. That way when you follow through with it they'll be more likely to support you.

If they're not helpful. Never bother. Never ever ever....
It's my experience that the ones willing to bollock their teammates will generally come in and get involved anyway, while the wet blankets will often forget that they're actually captain, even when called! All I think my approach does is invite the "friendly" ones to come over if they want to.

Best thing to always remember....

If it benefits YOU to bring them in then bring them in. If it won't.....then don't!

Tipping off the opposition? Can't even figure out what that's supposed to mean...

I think you did the right approach. Player already on a caution, and he's about one fart away from a second caution either by PI or another foul. I don't think there's a better time to bring the captain in here. I disagree that it would be misconstrued - people will say what they want about you carding or not carding anyway, this won't change it. Maybe 'tipping off the opposition' means that the opposition might try to draw a foul out of him for that 2nd card - well, the opposition are going to know he's close to another yellow even without bringing the captain in.

Sounds like you handled this one well.

Back