A&H

Sloppy Referee

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
This last week ive been involved in three cup finals, two lines one middle.

Its the first ive ever done the assistant so not really had the chance to see other refs habits close up.

First referee (for a final) didnt have a coin.

Second referee (games on 4g) was wearing a pair of what id call brown hiking boots, not only this but at the coin toss the captain who won the toss was asked kick off or choose ends.

The Referee Store
Had a similar experience couple of weeks ago asked to be assistant at a junior final. Ref didn't chat with any of the assistants pre-match, didn't talk to players or coaches and at kick off, tossed the coin and asked the player 'do you want to chose ends or kick-off'. Set the tone for the match really. Many occasions he positioned himself with his back to the assistants when the ball was 10=20 yards away from assistants, obviously inexperienced with assistants, but totally puzzling why he was asked to be in the middle of a final.

Was he any good as a referee though?, the best referees are different and appreciated for a reason!

Doesn't matter how good you are, if you look a mess or behave strangely you've created a poor first impression before you even blow a whistle and that takes some recovering.

I saw a cup final referee arrive less than 15 minutes before kick off, and then because he had to rush to get ready wasn't dressed properly. The teams were already in the tunnel when he arrived, so they certainly drew their first impressions given they'd all been at the ground for 90 minutes. He actually had a good game, but even at full time people were talking about what happened before and at the start of the game, s opposed to what his actual performance was like.

Doesn't matter how good you are, if you look a mess or behave strangely you've created a poor first impression before you even blow a whistle and that takes some recovering.

I saw a cup final referee arrive less than 15 minutes before kick off, and then because he had to rush to get ready wasn't dressed properly. The teams were already in the tunnel when he arrived, so they certainly drew their first impressions given they'd all been at the ground for 90 minutes. He actually had a good game, but even at full time people were talking about what happened before and at the start of the game, s opposed to what his actual performance was like.
Believe me, the vast number of people care about correct decisions than if he had a tie and correct attire....Maybe the people that are judging are stuck in a time warp?

I think the 22 players and coaching team are entitled to an opinion when a referee's sloppiness affects their preparation on their big day … ?!
Why would a referee in dodgy shoes affect 22 players?? and why can't they do Rock Paper scissors?? :angel:

He wasn't officially late though?? I assume they kicked off on time on 4G??

He was, as the officials had been told at least an hour before. And they didn't kick off on time, it was 5 minutes late which had an impact on preparation time for the next final. It was more though that the teams had been told to be back in their changing rooms in time for the referee ringing the bell 12 minutes before kick off, only to then see him wander in at that time. It was highly unprofessional and his first impression was shot to pieces before he even got changed into referee kit.

It was on grass, although not sure what relevance that has?

They are out there, unfortunately.

I've seen my fair share of sloppy referees, for various reasons.

And the club's do remember which referees turn up late, or look like a rubbish bag tied around the middle.

Decisions on the field are most important, but if you think club's don't judge you based on first impressions you're deluded.

I've seen sloppy referees too, all the tog, but couldn't run a bath game wise....Yes, there is a balance but just because you tick a few County FA boxes doesn't specifically make you a top drawer whistler!!!

I've seen sloppy referees too, all the tog, but couldn't run a bath game wise....Yes, there is a balance but just because you tick a few County FA boxes doesn't specifically make you a top drawer whistler!!!

True, but if someone makes the effort to get to a game on time, looks presentable, does their admin (confirming fixtures and submitting match reports etc) in a timely fashion and all the other things that referees are expected to do they make a good impression before theyve even blown their whistle.

People, including club's, do care about these things. And while no one is saying you need to turn up 2 hours before a Sunday league game in a suit, club's will expect the referee to turn up with enough time to do kit and pitch inspections and start the game on time.

Whether we like it or not performance on the pitch is only a part of what makes a good referee, all the other bits before and after the game are important.

9/10 should be the ref game wise, the rest is really window dressing. A bad performance isn’t masked by clean snazzy boots!

I’ve said many times, get the basics right and the snazzy stuff will follow. Learn your craft, it’s not a fashion parade for car crash weekend spoilers!
Someone cares, just not 99% of who may be there!

I’ve said many times, get the basics right and the snazzy stuff will follow. Learn your craft, it’s not a fashion parade for car crash weekend spoilers!
Someone cares, just not 99% of who may be there!
If you look at the original posts by @spuddy1878 and @Gamespoiler , it's abundantly clear that the referees in question did NOT get the basics right. We can certainly debate the niceties of referee dress code and behaviour. But no pre match briefing for assistants, ridiculous on field positioning and footwear wholly inappropriate for the surface all sound pretty fundamental to me. As does arriving at the appointed time ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back