A&H

Sloppy Referee

Status
Not open for further replies.
It must make you feel good saying you would have found refereeing at level 3/4 easy but didn't want to commit to the time etc required (which is fair enough).

Better than saying, I was a level 7 and never even attempted promotion so have absolutely no idea whether I would have been any good refereeing at a higher level.
Fair enough, I just say it as it is, I don’t sugar coat things like others. Call it over confidence, call it what you like, I stand by what I said! 👍

The Referee Store
Fair enough, I just say it as it is, I don’t sugar coat things like others. Call it over confidence, call it what you like, I stand by what I said! 👍
Arrogance seems most likely.

Or you're delusional and think that refereeing Sunday league is the same as refereeing at supply or contributory level.

The ground and pitch makes no difference.

Unless you were refereeing two premier League teams you might as well have been down the local park.

Its about 22 football players and a bag of wind, one set of Laws. The standard is irrelevant till you get to the top 4 leagues! 99% are amateur!

Promotion is primarily a process of learning to do much the same thing, albeit in a different environment. It's laddered framework of gradual schooling in public, developing the mental resilience to cope with a raising of stakes and the intimidation of public gaze
I know this through watching football at all levels (and to a lesser extent, joining the dots with my limited refereeing experience)
I think it's a myth to simply assume that the football itself becomes more challenging to ref. Moreover, Level 7s are completely alone week after week, with the perils that CARs add to the mix

Last edited:
Promotion is primarily a process of learning to do much the same thing, albeit in a different environment. It's laddered framework of gradual schooling in public, developing the mental resilience to cope with a raising of stakes and the intimidation of public gaze
I know this through watching football at all levels (and to a lesser extent, joining the dots with my limited refereeing experience)
I think it's a myth to simply assume that the football itself becomes more challenging to ref. Moreover, Level 7s are completely alone week after week, with the perils that CARs add to the mix

But games do get more difficult as you move up the refereeing ladder.

The laws stay the same (supposedly) but the players get better, and fitter. Games are faster and more technical, which means they are physically and mentally more demanding.

Also the promotion scheme doesn't teach you to do the same thing, although it can seem that way. The skills and competencies change from 7-6, 6-5, and 5-4. Not by much admittedly, but you are marked on more things at each level.

But games do get more difficult as you move up the refereeing ladder.

The laws stay the same (supposedly) but the players get better, and fitter. Games are faster and more technical, which means they are physically and mentally more demanding.

Also the promotion scheme doesn't teach you to do the same thing, although it can seem that way. The skills and competencies change from 7-6, 6-5, and 5-4. Not by much admittedly, but you are marked on more things at each level.
There's absolutely no doubt that referees must not progress too quickly. A referee without arm bands will splash about in the paddling pool. To become a synchronised swimmer (with everyone watching/judging/protesting/abusing) takes time, but this has little to do with the nature or speed of the football, or the players replacing beer bellies with six packs

There's absolutely no doubt that referees must not progress too quickly. A referee without arm bands will splash about in the paddling pool. To become a synchronised swimmer (with everyone watching/judging/protesting/abusing) takes time, but this has little to do with the nature or speed of the football, or the players replacing beer bellies with six packs

Not entirely but it is a part of how it gets more difficult to referee at higher levels.

Of course experience plays a big part, as does confidence etc, but it's stupid to think that a referee who has never been higher than level 7 could just jump straight into a supply or contributory game and find it easy, regardless of how experienced or confident they are.

I'm a level 6 but I have run the line at levels much higher than I could referee, and the game changes completely the higher you go.

Even my local Sunday and Saturday leagues won't appoint a level 7 referee to games above a certain level.

My Saturday league have a team of 3 for every top division game with a level 5 in the middle. There is a reason for that.

but it's stupid to think that a referee who has never been higher than level 7 could just jump straight into a supply or contributory game
Nobody is disagreeing with this

Few considerations;
i. I know a couple of L7s (who have no interest in promotion), who are miles better than any L5 I've yet to work with
ii. I know a couple of L6's ---> It beggars beleif that they could have been promoted ---> Must be fantastic sock tape checkers
iii Many L5 are downgraded old timers who are way past their best, yet still get decent appointments

Anyway, I'm sure most of us could cite such acquaintances and I've managed to digress
Quite likely me views will change over the next few years, but for now i'm convinced that the challenge associated with better football, is the least of our worries as we try to progress

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back