The Ref Stop

Sept 27-28 Premier League discussion

So if you think it might not be a red, is it an error? I think since VAR has been introduced, I can only recalled 2 instances where a red card has been overturned for a yellow card.

Its one of those where I can understand why the ref went for red but if it does not meet the threshold for serious foul play then maybe the VAR should get involved?
I think last season, VAR 100% gets involved. But with the new lighter touch, things need to be 100% obvious for them to get involved. I think there’s enough in this in that red isn’t completely wrong, but neither was yellow.

The Ref Stop
I think last season, VAR 100% gets involved. But with the new lighter touch, things need to be 100% obvious for them to get involved. I think there’s enough in this in that red isn’t completely wrong, but neither was yellow.

The general reaction from what I can see is that the red is harsh and for me I don't think it meets the threshold for serious foul play. It just looks reckless to me rather than dangerous/out of control. I'm not surprised the on field call stands but I wonder how much contact Chris Kavanagh thought there was and whether he noticed Fernandes slip which may of affected the way he made the challenge.

Man United can appeal if they feel it’s wrong. It won’t change the outcome of the game but if they win it would negate any ban.

Back