A&H

Saints v Spied on Derby

The Referee Store
Except in this instance VAR did intervene and suggest an OFR and the referee simply said no, leading to this being his final appointment in the WC.
Exactly right, therefore VAR is again not the issue.

I still can’t work out why people wouldn’t want it. I would 100% rather sit and wait a few minutes to celebrate my team score a goal than have it incorrectly ruled out.

Except in this instance VAR did intervene and suggest an OFR and the referee simply said no, leading to this being his final appointment in the WC.[/QUOTE981444282-1-1024x739.jpg
In all my years watching, playing and refereeing this was the most obvious penalty there's been, it not football, its NFL.... if he's turned that down then he's no better than the bloke starting his course at 40+ in refereeing skills!!!

Exactly right, therefore VAR is again not the issue.

I still can’t work out why people wouldn’t want it. I would 100% rather sit and wait a few minutes to celebrate my team score a goal than have it incorrectly ruled out.
It's a long wait then being a Middlesborough fan this season!!! ;)

*Middlesbrough (pet hate of mine that!)

And you’re right, goals are few and far between for me at the moment! I think we’re in the bottom 4 in the league for goals scored, but ridiculously good defensively meaning we’re top 6. Some record that

So you’d rather your team lost to an offside goal providing the other set of fans got to celebrate as soon as it went it?
Yes, absolutely. I'm fundamentally against the promise of Maximum Interference ;)

Last edited:
They have to trial it though. If they trialled it in selected league games then that could affect the league table at the end of the season, e.g. Liverpool score a goal following VAR review after it was incorrectly ruled out for offside, but Man City have a goal incorrectly ruled out for offside and there is no VAR on that game. Whereas in the cups it only affects that game, one team benefits and one loses out, no other teams in the competition can possibly be affected by the decision.

With all due respect Rusty that last line just isn't true - I'm guessing Newcastle's opponents in the next round would rather be playing Blackburn!

With all due respect Rusty that last line just isn't true - I'm guessing Newcastle's opponents in the next round would rather be playing Blackburn!
Got to agree here. Especially when you consider replays, in which the Newcastle v Blackburn had VAR in the first fixture and not the second, and vice versa in the Derby v Southampton fixture

Back