A&H

safeguarding training for children

You need a valid DBS check and safeguarding children qualification to officiate youth football. If anyone has told you otherwise they are 100% wrong.
Did you get any more info on this? I asked as you were convinced what i was saying was not the case.

The Referee Store
Not for the first time FA documents are vague.

This is from the safeguarding guidelines issued to county FAs. It says every referee needs either a SFA or a SFC

1685294942498.png

This page outlines the options:

What safeguarding qualification do I need to complete if I am a referee?

It's not hard and fast because it depends what courses (some of which are now obsolete) you have completed in the past. The general rule moving forward is that if you're 16+ you need to have completed Safeguarding for Children. If you're 14/15 you need to have completed Safeguarding for All. But if you have one of those qualifications already you might not need to do the other one.

Last edited:
Some conflicting information here.

I'd like to hear from those who were adamant that SFC was essential.

It's becoming obvious that the stance on this is not national.

SFC (or SFA) is indeed essential regardless of whether you are doing youth football. The system will not let you register if you don't have the correct certification. Registration opens in three days.

Somewhat related but will the safeguarding training be offline during the FA platform closure ?

Can’t seem to find details anywhere

I am an observer, and have a valid SFA certification. The FA have now changed their rules, and observers / mentors have to have the SCC (Safeguarding Children Course) certification now. It would appear that referees just need the SFA, but the observers / mentors need the higher level course for the 23/24 season.

The cost is £30, but discounted by the FA to £15 (so generous) if done in June /July 2023.

I am an observer, and have a valid SFA certification. The FA have now changed their rules, and observers / mentors have to have the SCC (Safeguarding Children Course) certification now. It would appear that referees just need the SFA, but the observers / mentors need the higher level course for the 23/24 season.

The cost is £30, but discounted by the FA to £15 (so generous) if done in June /July 2023.
As a Referee Developer (Tutor, Trainer) I have had to have an up-to-date SFC for some time.

I've only ever done SFC but this might be because I'm a youth coach.

Anyway, you can now register, and if you don't have the right certification it will tell you.

I got a reply from The FA, after I explained the variance among CFA's.
They told me to ask my CFA.
I explained again, and they told me to talk to my local CFA "as they will know"
My RDO confirms that currently for referees in youth football a referee must have a current qualification which can be any one of Safeguarding for All, Safeguarding for Children, or the online renewal of SFC.

My RDO confirms that currently for referees in youth football a referee must have a current qualification which can be any one of Safeguarding for All, Safeguarding for Children, or the online renewal of SFC.

They also need one of those for any refereeing, not just youth.

I got a reply from The FA, after I explained the variance among CFA's.
They told me to ask my CFA.
I explained again, and they told me to talk to my local CFA "as they will know"
Chas:

Thank you for getting a reply from those "in the know".

At least we're not guessing as to the correct answer, like others have.

I emails five different RDOs and asked about this, and the consensus is that the FA has not really made up it's mind what it wants to do about all this, but Chas's RDO is correct that for the moment both "Safeguarding Children" and "Safeguarding for All' are being accepted both for youth and adult football.

Back