A&H

safeguarding training for children

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
Is it mandatory for referees who referee youth football to complete a safeguarding for children course?

I have received conflicting messages and wanted to know the position?

Thanks.

The Referee Store
I would have thought so - safeguarding isn't just the obvious stuff, it also includes how to spot and report issues you might see while refereeing and knowing how far your authority and responsibilities go.

At the end of the day if you're getting conflicting information, your RDO is the one who will have the definitive answer.

I would just leave it as an email for them when they return TBH. They should have systems in place to remind referees of such requirements and you're not doing anything wrong by asking the question in good faith and continuing as you were until you get an answer.

Is it mandatory for referees who referee youth football to complete a safeguarding for children course?

I have received conflicting messages and wanted to know the position?

Thanks.
The FA website spells out the options, which are dependent upon your previous safeguarding qualifications (if any) - it is mandatory to complete the appropriate option if you are going to officiate in youth football and/or Mini Soccer.

You can do the safeguarding for all or the safeguarding for children but you don't need both (i'm told).

I've previously done both.

This is from my RDO in Cornwall.

Screenshot_20230524-112436.png

Children, or persons aged under 18 participate in adults football so you do still need to be, even more so perhaps, aware of your role in safeguarding children in the adults game.

DBS is mandatory to be a referee in youth football.

This is from my RDO in Cornwall.

View attachment 6655

Children, or persons aged under 18 participate in adults football so you do still need to be, even more so perhaps, aware of your role in safeguarding children in the adults game.

DBS is mandatory to be a referee in youth football.
In Kent it's either SFC or SFA but you don't need both.

Coaches need SFC mandatory now.

This came direct from the safeguarding lead. She agrees that SFC should be mandatory for refs doing youth football.

She also confirmed the current SFC course online is new. As of now once you do the course it's £30 and recertification is free.

Then you will have to pay the course fee again (every four years and each recert will be free).

In Kent it's either SFC or SFA but you don't need both.

Coaches need SFC mandatory now.

This came direct from the safeguarding lead. She agrees that SFC should be mandatory for refs doing youth football.

She also confirmed the current SFC course online is new. As of now once you do the course it's £30 and recertification is free.

Then you will have to pay the course fee again (every four years and each recert will be free).
As I understand it from my RDO Safeguarding children is mandatory for everyone. As you can see from the email clip I put, I won't be allowed to register unless my Safeguarding course is up to date.
I'm really confused by the thread. You've asked a question, but then have now posted an answer you already have from the people best placed to answer (or am I missing something??)

I've had to do a safeguarding for all online course and have a valid DBS to have any involvement with U18's.

As I understand it from my RDO Safeguarding children is mandatory for everyone. As you can see from the email clip I put, I won't be allowed to register unless my Safeguarding course is up to date.
I'm really confused by the thread. You've asked a question, but then have now posted an answer you already have from the people best placed to answer (or am I missing something??)
I have now been given the answer but at the time of posting nobody was available to speak to me.

You are saying in Cornwall it is mandatory to do SFC to ref youth football but that's not the case in Kent (I thought the standard required would be national).

Here you can have one or the other or have both (I now have both.

The safeguarding for all i did today and it was very quick and easy.

Last edited:
You need a valid DBS check and safeguarding children qualification to officiate youth football. If anyone has told you otherwise they are 100% wrong.

You need a valid DBS check and safeguarding children qualification to officiate youth football. If anyone has told you otherwise they are 100% wrong.

You need a safeguarding children qualification to register as a referee at all. Even if you don't do youth football. This is for the whole of England, it's not per county.

The exception is if you are 14 or 15, then you need to do safeguarding for all.

I've never had a 'Safeguarding for Children' qualification.

Only ever had to do the 'Safeguarding for All'.

Never had an issue refereeing adults, youth, women's or any mentoring/coaching adults & children.

I've never had a 'Safeguarding for Children' qualification.

Only ever had to do the 'Safeguarding for All'.

Never had an issue refereeing adults, youth, women's or any mentoring/coaching adults & children.
This, only safeguarding I’ve done was the safeguarding for all and was told that would be fine for youth football.

With regard to SFC you appear to be wrong.

The latest two posts are contrary to your information.

Back