A&H

Ronaldo v Morocco

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
This forum has been interesting to observe during the World Cup.

A few of us (myself included) have been judging referees on how we think FIFA will judge the referees performance. The criteria being no major errors, limiting soft cautions, and an overall match management.

Most of you are judging referees on how you think they should be calling the match or how you would call the match on your Sunday league game.

The referees are here to help put on a spectacle. Ronaldo being suspended for the third match after getting a yellow for dissent in the first game and a yellow for diving in the second game is not what the fans, media, and FIFA wants. It maybe what you want as Sunday league refs but it doesn't serve the World Cup.

Now I'm sure I'll be absolutely destroyed for this post so I'll leave it here.
I don't disagree with anything you're saying. But I don't think anybody is naive to it either. The approach you're discussing is biased. It corrupts the game. How it is and how it should be are often different things. Referees shouldn't be there as a match producer. That's a complete perversion of their role and the LOTG. But it's also why the top referees aren't necessarily the best referees.
I don't think anybody on here think the PI card would have been given if any other player was fouled 3 times by the same player.

The instructive from Fifa is to keep your cards in your pocket we know that & understand that but it’s now getting to the point where joe blogs off the street & nearly all media outlets to a man are picking up on it & it’s starting to look silly.

I’m all for match control & don’t ruin the spectical but the players have now cottoned on Aswell & it’s becoming a farce, chuck VAR in plus Lino’s not knowing there Harris from there elbow with there close offside instruction & it’s starting to have the reverse affect.

Now neutrals are discussing the referee instructive / application & VAR inconsistency.

In FIFA we trust..

Most of you are judging referees on how you think they should be calling the match or how you would call the match on your Sunday league game.

Well yeah...

Partly because when the season starts in August (for me), the players are going to draw on the experiences of the World Cup and consider me a ridiculous referee for dishing out 5-6 cautions for fouls that are going unpunished on the TV. All the while, I still have to deal with the assessor who will tick me off if I don't give those 5-6 cautions.

And also because, really, the game should be getting officiated consistently across all levels on the more basic stuff such as dissent and cynical fouls etc.

To be honest, I'm not convinced the players are happy with the lack of cautions either; As the games go along it seems we're seeing more appeals for the referee to actually take action. I wouldn't be surprised if some teams decide to let some rough players off the leash sooner rather than later and start pushing their luck.

I made this point and totally agree with you, Too many of us are looking at the games and thinking how it relates to our game this weekend. Other than we use the same object, thats about it

Some of these referees aren’t good enough to referee in the style they’ve been instructed. to. Very easy to go into he game with the mindset of not giving soft yellows, far harder to execute.

This forum has been interesting to observe during the World Cup.

A few of us (myself included) have been judging referees on how we think FIFA will judge the referees performance. The criteria being no major errors, limiting soft cautions, and an overall match management.

The referees are here to help put on a spectacle. Ronaldo being suspended for the third match after getting a yellow for dissent in the first game and a yellow for diving in the second game is not what the fans, media, and FIFA wants. It maybe what you want as Sunday league refs but it doesn't serve the World Cup.

Now I'm sure I'll be absolutely destroyed for this post so I'll leave it here.
If Ronaldo doesn't want to be suspended for 2 dissent cautions, it's entirely within his power to stop dissenting. If FIFA don't want Ronaldo suspended for 2 dissent cautions, it's entirely within their power to change the competition rules so that 2 yellows =/= a match off. If FIFA don't want card heavy ref's, the can pick different ones and should be encouraging no soft yellows right down to L7.

Taking top ref's and telling them to act differently to how they normally would on a world stage is by far the worst of all these options.

I think what people miss here is football doesn't exist for referees, rather referees exist to serve the game. If the owners of the world game decide they want to reduce the number of yellow cards by pretty much removing cautions for SPA then I don't have a problem with that. That is as long as the referees are fully backed for following this guidance that technically goes against the LoTG.

I think what people miss here is football doesn't exist for referees, rather referees exist to serve the game. If the owners of the world game decide they want to reduce the number of yellow cards by pretty much removing cautions for SPA then I don't have a problem with that. That is as long as the referees are fully backed for following this guidance that technically goes against the LoTG.
I have a problem with it. Keeping megastars on the pitch at all costs and tolerating behavior which will be copied the world over. We'll all have a problem with it when our seasons start again :brb:

I have a problem with it. Keeping megastars on the pitch at all costs and tolerating behavior which will be copied the world over. We'll all have a problem with it when our seasons start again :brb:

OK, and be honest here, do you caution every time a grass roots player accidentally commits SPA? You should as that is what the laws say, but from my experience of watching and observing on grass roots football very few referees do. And understandably, as you'd potentially have 10 cautions every game.

It has never sat comfortably with me that a player can / should be cautioned for an accidental foul, and I welcome this move towards to sensible refereeing and less cautions. I do accept it may have swung too far the other way, but when such a major policy change is made there will always be teething problems.

For me, and most of us, we are charged with refereeing a game.
This WC is great example of guys refereeing an occasion.
Big difference.

When we learn how to seperate the two, we understand both better

For me, and most of us, we are charged with refereeing a game.
This WC is great example of guys refereeing an occasion.
Big difference.

When we learn how to seperate the two, we understand both better

Yep your right, just doesn’t seem right though & the volatile leagues like Spain Italy South America it must feel so odd and alien to those refs having to sit there and take dogs abuse & dissent for 90 mins & in some games let 30-40 fouls or infringements go unpunished.

Refereeing the occasion as instructed & not a game of football, so morally wrong.

Don't want to tempt fate but whatever happened to the Russian thugs that we were expecting from this WC??? Are they lying in wait maybe!!!

Yep your right, just doesn’t seem right though & the volatile leagues like Spain Italy South America it must feel so odd and alien to those refs having to sit there and take dogs abuse & dissent for 90 mins & in some games let 30-40 fouls or infringements go unpunished.

Refereeing the occasion as instructed & not a game of football, so morally wrong.

Its not wrong! Its why those guys are there! Thats their role, same as it would be yours if you had been appointed to go.
The worst WC final referree in my life was Webb because when it got to the final, he went back to pretending he was reffing Everton v Newcastle instead of continuing in the manner which got him appointed to the final in the first place,
Had he stuck to the way he refereed en route to the final, we would have been spared his shambles.

Its not wrong! Its why those guys are there! Thats their role, same as it would be yours if you had been appointed to go.
The worst WC final referree in my life was Webb because when it got to the final, he went back to pretending he was reffing Everton v Newcastle instead of continuing in the manner which got him appointed to the final in the first place,
Had he stuck to the way he refereed en route to the final, we would have been spared his shambles.

So your comfortable with them all having to ref to please the organisers and not the Lotg, that surprises me I must admit.

It’s becoming a joke the amount players are getting away with, the refs are looking like complete mugs.

Don't want to tempt fate but whatever happened to the Russian thugs that we were expecting from this WC??? Are they lying in wait maybe!!!

There waiting for the blades to get out there Sheff, they’ve heard it ain’t a fight until the bramall Lane crew turn up.

When’s your flight have you packed your stone island gear :D

So your comfortable with them all having to ref to please the organisers and not the Lotg, that surprises me I must admit.

It’s becoming a joke the amount players are getting away with, the refs are looking like complete mugs.

No diff to the Premiership and so on...

There waiting for the blades to get out there Sheff, they’ve heard it ain’t a fight until the bramall Lane crew turn up.

When’s your flight have you packed your stone island gear :D
Tango is there from our porcine brotherhood. There is an embarrassing video of him climbing s tree on Away Days on FB... no trouble but high jinks

No diff to the Premiership and so on...

Refs are aloud to ref in the prem dissent being an area of focus, the muppets in charge of this lot is ruining any good work done by the premier league of late.

Anyway it is what it is, 30-40 fouls, dissent and verbal anger aimed at the refs for 90 mins, constant distance infringements at corners and set plays all going unpunished.. every single game the same...

I’ll give them one thing Atleast they’re consistently mugging themselves off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back