A&H

Replacement GPS Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
I currently rock a Polar V800, but it's getting on a bit now, and my work have given me a bonus so I am looking at getting a replacement.

Ive been eying up the Polar Vantage series, but I'm not adverse to making the move to Garmin or another company.

Can anyone recommend any other makes/models I should be looking at?

The Referee Store
Polar vantage V has now finally caught up with v800 in terms of features and much more. Stay Polar.
Be prepared for a drop in max speed and distance on the football pitch. Whether that is increased or reduced accuracy. Who knows. However., the early issues I had at release have ironed themselves out

Apple Watch with REFSIX does everything
I need something that is accurate and will standup to multisport training and long distance endurance events.

I also don't have an iPhone so wouldn't be able to make much use of the majority of the functionality of an apple watch in any case.

I use a Garmin Vivoactive, and use the refwatch app (I think it cost about 5 pounds) when I ref. (I originally bought it for reffing as an alternative to getting a spintso, but it also became my every day watch. To my complete surprise, I found I liked a step counter--not to be fanatic about, but to make me aware of days I become too sedentary.)

I wear a Garmin Fenix 5. It’s pricey, but it’s the best watch I’ve ever owned. I also use the Referee Watch app that @socal lurker uses.

I had a V800, but wasn’t a fan. I didn’t try the Polar Vantage.

I've recently purchased a Garmin Vivoactive mainly for running but will use for refereeing when we eventually return to games. Does the refwatch app track running data as well, or can it run alongside the run programme ?

I've recently purchased a Garmin Vivoactive mainly for running but will use for refereeing when we eventually return to games. Does the refwatch app track running data as well, or can it run alongside the run programme ?

Yes, the RefWatch Garmin app does use GPS during the game. It's a setting, so you need to make sure you aren't using "Spectator Mode" or "Indoor Mode". I've been burned both ways, where I've had the GPS running while I've been tracking time as a parent during my son's game (definitely not much of a coverage map for those games!!) and have left Spectator Mode on when I've refereed a game immediately following my son's game.

You get a coverage map with the app (more specifically, the app creates a running or other activity that shows a GPS map in your Garmin Connect phone app), but not a heat map like you have with the RefSix app or a GPS tracker like StatSports. So you will see where you have been on the field, but you won't see where you are spending most of your time.

Last edited:
Big fan of refsix, but I find it glitches mid-game too frequently for my liking. Once every 5 games (ish) it won’t respond to my press when I try and end a half, or enter a goal for example.

Luckily I use a notepad as well as the app and can time the game on my other watch.

Anyone else encountered this? I use an Apple Watch 4.

Touch wood I’ve never had a problem with Refsix

Yes, I use series 3 and RefSix. Basically, this is my first season. Didn't feel comfortable with pulling the tech out on my first weekend, but found it too fiddly pulling a notepad out for every goal (there was a lot of goals), when I had something on my wrist that was just two presses. I still have it in my pocket just incase something goes wrong (like forgetting to charge my watch between games and it going flat during the second game), but it never comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back