A&H

Referee sends off player for taking too long on a throw-in

Zero sympathy here, already on a yellow, don't give the referee the opportunity to give a 2nd, players get away with blatant gamesmanship far too often, so good to see it punished.

Pickford is easily one of the worse for taking the proverbial with regard to holding the ball.

Don't hear of it very often, so probably one of those rare occasions a ref finally had enough...
Mignolet - 22 seconds

Klopp still complained about the decision. :eek:

The Referee Store
I mean, to be fair the point Klopp was making is why had this usually ignored law suddenly been applied to his team, particularly when he's used to teams being allowed to kill the game to hold onto a draw against them. And that's pretty much the same issue we've run into with the unhappy commentators here. If this is the start of this law being routinely applied more strictly then great - but if not, it's just inconsistency and decision making based on the whims of various referees.

Last edited:
I'll believe that when I see it . . .
Never going to happen with the law as is.

Do we really expect a keeper who goes down on the ball in the 6 yard box amidst a flurry of players to pick himself up, extricate himself from the traffic and pick a safe release in 6 seconds ? The result in having to deal with attackers 'accidentally' getting in the way, or the keeper picking the wrong option and giving away a soft goal, or even a return to more aimless goalkeeper hoofing upfield, all fall into the category of 'not what football wants'.

My vote would be to do away with the law as is and formalise dealing with it like we deal with a throw-in, a goal kick, or any other restart. I know it's not technically a restart, but the ball is as good as dead when it's in the keeper's hands. We can then all judge what is reasonable, including applying the context of scoreline / stage of game, warning before taking action unless completely ludicrous, etc.

.... which is what actually happens anyway. LOTG and reality in synch - there's a thought !

My vote would be to do away with the law as is and formalise dealing with it like we deal with a throw-in, a goal kick, or any other restart. I know it's not technically a restart, but the ball is as good as dead when it's in the keeper's hands. We can then all judge what is reasonable, including applying the context of scoreline / stage of game, warning before taking action unless completely ludicrous, etc.
I believe @GraemeS was actually referring to delays on TIs . . .

As far as the GK, reasonable time was always the standard until they got rid of the 4 step rule. Rather than just keeping the reasonable standard, IFAB apparently felt it necessary to put in an objective standard. But the reality is that what is applied (except occasionally by newbies who don't know any better) is in fact a reasonable standard.

Part of the problem with the rule is the severity of the sanction--we take the ball out of the GK's hands and give the other team a very good scoring opportunity. I think it would be better to change the sanction and enforce a bit more tightly--make the sanction a CK ( or borrow from field hockey and make it a "short corner" from the edge of the PA), and the less draconian sanction makes it easier to enforce. Indeed, I wouldn't mind a change that did that for all IFKs in the PA, but that is probably too radical for IFAB.

I believe @GraemeS was actually referring to delays on TIs . . .

As far as the GK, reasonable time was always the standard until they got rid of the 4 step rule. Rather than just keeping the reasonable standard, IFAB apparently felt it necessary to put in an objective standard. But the reality is that what is applied (except occasionally by newbies who don't know any better) is in fact a reasonable standard.

Part of the problem with the rule is the severity of the sanction--we take the ball out of the GK's hands and give the other team a very good scoring opportunity. I think it would be better to change the sanction and enforce a bit more tightly--make the sanction a CK ( or borrow from field hockey and make it a "short corner" from the edge of the PA), and the less draconian sanction makes it easier to enforce. Indeed, I wouldn't mind a change that did that for all IFKs in the PA, but that is probably too radical for IFAB.
I don't think seeing GKs regularly, and by that I mean 2 or 3 times at each live Championship game I attend, hold the ball for over 20 seconds IS a 'reasonable standard'

I don't think seeing GKs regularly, and by that I mean 2 or 3 times at each live Championship game I attend, hold the ball for over 20 seconds IS a 'reasonable standard'
Well, for better or worse, the refs who have made it to that level do or have been instructed to think it's reasonable or they would be calling a 6 second offense.

I don't disagree with you that there should be tightening on GK delays of releasing the ball, but for it to happen is going to take will from the talk, communication to referees and teams, backing up referees who make the calls, and not doing it for four weeks and forgetting about it. The Game frankly doesn't seem to care about this or see it as a problem worth addressing. And I do think part of the problem is that the sanction is so severe that refs don't want to call it and the powers that be don't actually want it called.

I've seen it called at the professional level exactly once, 10ish years ago. It was USA women vs. Canada, I think in the WWC. Keeper had been warned, but kept holding it. I think that call was at about 12-15 seconds. And there was a lot of backlash that it was unfair.

As if happens, Graham Scott did exactly the same punishment over a Bristol Rovers player who was taking too long over a throw in, obviously the footage is edited so we don't know for sure how much he was time wasting but when your on a yellow card, surely don't give the ref a decision to make.

Predictably Joey Barton did not agree with the decision and it does feel like one of those where the referee is correct by law but football fans and pundits don't expect a 2nd yellow to be shown.

Back