A&H

Referee sends off player for taking too long on a throw-in

The Referee Store
I agree with the commentators here... you want to see a red card for something a bit more serious than taking a bit of time at a throw in.
36th minute.
Did you see or hear the official try to hurry them up?

Put this in contrast to Rebes in the England game v Andorra. He just took out the England player (Coady was it?) With his elbow, looking at the player the whole time jumping into him and only a word, and already on a yellow too.

I agree with the commentators here... you want to see a red card for something a bit more serious than taking a bit of time at a throw in.
36th minute.
Did you see or hear the official try to hurry them up?
I do think that the referee probably don’t cover himself with glory with this red, but this wasn’t a first warning. Ireland had done this from the word go and had been told

in fairness, this wasn’t a first warning for Lewis. This was Ireland’s game from the first whistle. I do think that the referee probably don’t cover himself with glory with this red, but this wasn’t a first warning.
Fair enough.
Have been working so only caught the 2nd half of the England match and missed everything else.
Silly if previously warned but still think it's a ridiculous 2nd yellow to be giving.

It’s not Phil Babb in the 1994 World Cup, for pulling up his sock. That was the most obscure time wasting at at throw I’ve ever seen.

However, I’ve seen this one back. Looking at this as a black and white situation. He had chances to throw it and chose not to. Feigns to throw and doesn’t. You’re pushing your luck.

In fairness, Xherdan Shaqiri just spoke about it, and said he too wonders if referee hadn’t realised player had already been cautioned. Has he done, I agree it wouldn’t have come out.

I can understand why the card has been shown; wouldn’t have done so myself but it want the first time so if you walk the tightrope you risk falling off.

But with that said, it’s not an excuse for the defeat that it’s being trotted out as. That’s complete BS and deflection.

The video is blocked for me but I just don't like the title of the thread. It sounds like a sensationalism headline you see in a tabloid paper to defame referees.

The referee sent off the player for receiving two cautions in a match, NOT for taking too long on a throw in.

no idea what went before this, is there a theme to this, has there been warnings, i dont even know why the player got the first caution etc
has a team mate had the ball then given it to tnis player, no idea

based only on the clip with no background knowledge, i can justify a yc here, so am sure with background, there be even more reason for the yc.

early in game and not winning the game, granted, however, its difficult to argue there is not a clear delaying of restart and as above, feigning to throw, has chances to throw, player chose not to, his problem.

i would like to have seen a strong ' get on with it' arm signal or even a blast of whistle tho

The video is blocked for me but I just don't like the title of the thread. It sounds like a sensationalism headline you see in a tabloid paper to defame referees.

The referee sent off the player for receiving two cautions in a match, NOT for taking too long on a throw in.
The Referee did a good job of defaming himself TBF
These are the sorts of incidents which defame all of us. However, what we know (that the non-refereeing community does not), is that these mistakes happen at all levels because our job is seemingly too difficult for even elite officials to master

update, the bbc says 23 secs and there had been prior warnings to get a move on

you are really putting your own fate in the referees hands by your own actions

It’s very soft for a second yellow, however, 23 seconds to take a throw is taking the mick a bit.

And if you’ve had several warning to hurry up and still don’t take the throw when there was opportunity to then you’ve no one to blame but yourself.

Only an issue because most referees including me don't deal with these game management tactics.

Refs aren't going to change and start giving cards, even moreso after the reaction here.
So it probably needs a law change. Give them 6 seconds, then turn it over.

Yeah, the reaction from the commentators is exactly why this issue is going to be impossible to deal with. Entirely justifiable caution in law, it's not the referees fault that a player on a yellow card chooses to take ages over a nondescript throw-in. And these same commentators will go to a match next week and then moan about the referee not hurrying up someone else who's taking ages for a goal kick, but fail to see the hypocrisy in that.

Last edited:
Yeah, the reaction from the commentators is exactly why this issue is going to be impossible to deal with. Entirely justifiable caution in law, it's not the referees fault that a player on a yellow card chooses to take ages over a nondescript throw-in. And these same commentators will go to a match next week and then moan about the referee not hurrying up someone else who's taking ages for a goal kick, but fail to see the hypocrisy in that.
Exactly, players seem to get away with stupid things like this because it’s always the referees fault for dealing with it rather than the players fault for doing it.

You can tell from the referee's reaction that he hadn't realised he'd already cautioned him until after he pulled the yellow out. Suspect it would have been a final warning had he realised.

When I coached, I used to tell kids that one of the goals was not to give refs the opportunity to make tough calls against you. (E.g., youth GKs trying to get every inch of the PA when releasing a punt—small game, big risk on newer refs.) Why oh why is a player on a caution playing chicken with a ref who has already warned him about wasting time? Is he thinking, no ref will give a first half 2CT for delaying the game? And what was the upside in the delay?!? Almost seems like a dare to the ref to do something. I guess you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to play professional football….

update, the bbc says 23 secs and there had been prior warnings to get a move on

you are really putting your own fate in the referees hands by your own actions
Isn't 23 seconds the record for a GK not releasing the ball before being penalised for taking longer than 6 seconds? And that's in the laws.

TBF, the co-commentator seems a bit of an idiot...a 2nd YC has to be for something serious!' You can be sure had the Ref gone and given him a stern talking to regarding time-wasting he'd be complaining he had already been booked and should be a 2nd YC!

TBF, the co-commentator seems a bit of an idiot...a 2nd YC has to be for something serious!' You can be sure had the Ref gone and given him a stern talking to regarding time-wasting he'd be complaining he had already been booked and should be a 2nd YC!
Typical Stephen Craigan

Back