A&H

Ref Six - Watch

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
Apologies if there is already a thread somewhere on this.

Never used the refsix app and want to start but unsure on what watch to get.

Is any sports smart watches compatible with the app !

The Referee Store
Have been using Refsix since I started last year. Really, really good, especially with a pro subscription

I've included a link from Refsix that list all the watches that are compatible with it
https://refsix.com/watch-selector

As I said, been using it since I started refereeing last year, both as AR and main referee. My first weekend I spent as AR for back-to-back games, and used notepad for first, watch for the second, and I just find it so much easier to do things on the watch, rather than stopping and writing on a notepad, but its each to their own I guess.

I come from a small town, but live in a bigger city, and the reaction when I told my brothers about it, they were a bit dumbfounded ("Why go to that effort? Just use a notepad.", whereas the people I know where I live were quite impressed by it.

Thanks, I'm guessing all or most referees think it's great while outsiders will think why waste the money.

Just looking at a £40 watch on Amazon to try it out but unsure if it will be compatible.

Been using it for 2-3 years and love it. Apple Watch user here. Pro subscription user too and love it

Feels like I'm in a minority here, but I just couldn't get on with it on my Apple Watch. Found it difficult to use and the timers just didn't work (wasn't able to start/stop etc.

Use it on apple watch myself. Every game. Never used a notebook once.

version 5 released yesterday and great additions. Multiple matches on the watch and creating matches on the watch for a start.

I use the pro version on my Apple Watch. I’ve loved it - got so much use out of the watch too, it’s definitely worth the money imo. I still use a notepad (especially for cautions/misconduct), just in case something goes wrong, but it’s still very reliable. The stats are really beneficial too

Several years ago, I won an Apple Watch in a giveaway. It was a version 1.0. I tried using the watch in a game, but the issue I had was the touchscreen didn't work in the rain or with sweaty fingers (and unfortunately, I do perspire quite a bit). I gave up the idea of trying to use the watch.

Personal preference for me, but I still like to go "old school" and write down my game information. I use a Garmin watch with the Referee Watch app that essentially mimics a Spintso's timing features and links to the watch's GPS. However, I absolutely see the value and merit behind a program like RefSix. The heat maps provided by RefSix look great. I use a StatSports GPS tracker (my one "toy" that I've indulged in) for heat maps, and they are really good to see where I am covering, how deep I'm getting into the non-AR corner, etc.

That being said, I've heard many good things about RefSix. I love the idea and think it's awesome for those who are a little more forward on their tech than I am. If you are going to use a watch feature, I think RefSix is the way to go. As I've said on other threads like this, pick a system that you like and go with it. You don't want to be thinking about your administrative procedures in the middle of a match. My method is different than your method, which is different from his method, etc. As long as you record match information accurately, do what works for you!

Last edited:
I use a StatSports GPS tracker (my one "toy" that I've indulged in) for heat maps, and they are really good to see where I am covering, how deep I'm getting into the non-AR corner, etc.
I've been tempted by this but not sure I'd get this past the Mrs given I've already had a polar v800 and an upgrade to a polar vantage V.

I use my notepad alongside the REFSIX app only because in my 2/3 years of using it, I’ve had it crash on me a couple of times so it’s always good to have that backup

I always carry a notebook as you never know, but its never been used all the time ive been using the app

I've been tempted by this but not sure I'd get this past the Mrs given I've already had a polar v800 and an upgrade to a polar vantage V.
Your card count is enough to crash the app every time :D

Apologies if there is already a thread somewhere on this.

Never used the refsix app and want to start but unsure on what watch to get.

Is any sports smart watches compatible with the app !
If you look on their website there is a list of all the watches that are compatible with it.

I’ve used REFSIX for about 6 months now and wouldn’t be without it.

Several years ago, I won an Apple Watch in a giveaway. It was a version 1.0. I tried using the watch in a game, but the issue I had was the touchscreen didn't work in the rain or with sweaty fingers (and unfortunately, I do perspire quite a bit). I gave up the idea of trying to use the watch.
I had that issue too. Was working great pre season first time using it, for the first few games too before we got into wet season.
But I bought a sweat wristband and cover the watch.
It has been great ever since.
I still use notepad for cautions and quickly add it to watch whilst player coming to me if I have time (I have team sheets before match so already have their names, at yourh level) so all I'm doing is scrolling to their name/number.
If I haven't time to add it before restart, I won't delay restart, I'll just add it at end of game on phone.

For the original poster, I'm using the ticwatch. Personally, I love it. Use it for every day use too.

I think Refsix is an amazing feature. The only issue is when the team sheets you get before a game are half completed or the manager makes simple mistakes with the numbers. It would take too long to type a name in on the watch.

I think Refsix is an amazing feature. The only issue is when the team sheets you get before a game are half completed or the manager makes simple mistakes with the numbers. It would take too long to type a name in on the watch.
I type them in on the phone before sending to the watch at the venue.
Other times, if I haven't time for the name, just entered shirt numbers. Much quicker.

I never bother with teamsheets on the app. I just use the numbers on the app and use my notepad for the names. Cross reference everything from my watch to my notepad to the teamsheets to make sure I haven’t made a mistake

I type them in on the phone before sending to the watch at the venue.
Other times, if I haven't time for the name, just entered shirt numbers. Much quicker.
The only issue is if the number you take isn’t on the team sheet
I never bother with teamsheets on the app. I just use the numbers on the app and use my notepad for the names. Cross reference everything from my watch to my notepad to the teamsheets to make sure I haven’t made a mistake
Tbh, quite a good idea. So you write the name on your notebook and then tap the number in your watch?

I always put team sheets on before the games but have recently turned on always use number keypad. Found this to be much faster than scrolling for a name but yet it still pulls through the players name on the teamsheet.

The only issue is if the number you take isn’t on the team sheet

Tbh, quite a good idea. So you write the name on your notebook and then tap the number in your watch?
Yeah exactly. With goals I just use the watch, but I don’t want technology to fail for misconduct. But I like inputting the cards on there as it shows the exact time, position on the pitch, stats, etc

I write full names directly onto my yellow card when needed. Reds get written in the notebook when needed. Only had 2 reds in 3 years so that’s how often the notebook gets used. Don’t get team sheets on the league I do, so I’ll use Refsix to email the managers requesting a team sheet. They don’t always fill them in, if they do great, if not, no harm done.

Back