A&H

Red Card Procedure

When issuing a red card, I tend to do it almost immediately without taking the name first, asking one of the other players for the name. The advice I have received is to issue the red card quickly so to calm any growing tensions between the players, and this is the way I'm used to doing it. I know an observer would pick me up on it, so can someone advise a more efficient and observer-happy procedure for me to use when issuing red cards in games. Also, is there a way I can utilise team sheets to help me?

The Referee Store
Depends on where you are in the world. England has pretty clear expectations on process. In the US, much more referee discretion. IMHO, no single process is best for every situation. (And depending on the country/league, you may or may not be required to take the name at all. None of the places I ref require taking the nam—they all rely on the shirt number and player passes or team rosters.)

When issuing a red card, I tend to do it almost immediately without taking the name first, asking one of the other players for the name. The advice I have received is to issue the red card quickly so to calm any growing tensions between the players, and this is the way I'm used to doing it. I know an observer would pick me up on it, so can someone advise a more efficient and observer-happy procedure for me to use when issuing red cards in games. Also, is there a way I can utilise team sheets to help me?
What do you do with yellows? The England-observer-approved process for reds is exactly the same as yellows except for "I am dismissing you for" and the colour of the card.

As for using teams sheets, you basically have three choices. It's a list of player names next to the shirt number they're wearing - so either you treat it as fiction and insist on getting the name on-field regardless, treat it as true, note shirt numbers and then cross-reference post-game as is done everywhere else in the world, or do the weird hybrid system most English refs actually do where they write all the names down in their book pre-game to please the observer and then effectively just make notes next to the number regardless.

If you are in England, the process taught is similar to a caution, with the subtle difference of asking the name and then saying "I am sending you off" whereas for a caution we teach to say it is a caution then ask the name.

What do you do with yellows? The England-observer-approved process for reds is exactly the same as yellows except for "I am dismissing you for" and the colour of the card.

As for using teams sheets, you basically have three choices. It's a list of player names next to the shirt number they're wearing - so either you treat it as fiction and insist on getting the name on-field regardless, treat it as true, note shirt numbers and then cross-reference post-game as is done everywhere else in the world, or do the weird hybrid system most English refs actually do where they write all the names down in their book pre-game to please the observer and then effectively just make notes next to the number regardless.
I've used the third option before, you would still check the name with the player you are cautioning/dismissing, or at least ask for some initials?

I've used the third option before, you would still check the name with the player you are cautioning/dismissing, or at least ask for some initials?
Can do if you like. Initials will just confuse them IMO, but whatever works for you.

As I say, most leagues around the world just go with the team sheet and correlate numbers, it's only really lower levels in England where that's deemed unacceptable for some reason. So for me, at the level I mostly work at, I can mostly trust the team sheets to be reliable and this is essentially pantomime to keep observers happy.

I'll double check names if the player seems amenable or if possible if it's a red card, but I'm not particularly keen on adding unnecessary contact time with a player who's aggrieved to be seeing yellow, or slowing the game down further if a player has committed SPA/delaying the restart to try and hang onto a lead late in the game. Everyone benefits from getting those ones done quickly, getting the player away from you ASAP and getting the game moving.

What you choose to do depends on what your main objective is and how much you trust the team sheets at the level you're working at, and I will never fault a referee for being extra-diligent. I just personally don't like this outdated system we're still expected to use.

I find option 3 difficult when I'm only given a team sheet 15 mins before kick-off (as per league rules) - writing 22+ names in my book with cold hands, when I'm trying to keep warm in an exposed public park and focussing on ensuring everything/everyone else is ready doesn't seem ideal to me 🤷‍♂️

Although it can be unpleasant, I still tend to follow the same process as yellow - isolate the player, ask the name, write down name and number, explain decision, show the card then cross-check number against team sheet at the end of the game.

Not had any players telling me they're going to 'do me in the car park' or anything similar yet, so maybe would adjust for some situations.

I find option 3 difficult when I'm only given a team sheet 15 mins before kick-off (as per league rules) - writing 22+ names in my book with cold hands, when I'm trying to keep warm in an exposed public park and focussing on ensuring everything/everyone else is ready doesn't seem ideal to me 🤷‍♂️
I would say the same during the match. My hands will likely be colder than they were after I'd just got out of my car 15 minutes ago pre-match, my paper will be wetter and it's much more important not to be nose-in-book or over-focused on one specific player who's spelling out a difficult name, because a retaliatory punch or similar is more likely during the game than before it.

I get that there are situations where slowing the game down is desirable, but by taking names, you don't have a choice. Even if you do it 100% as recommended, I'd suggest giving that 3rd option another go if you can.

Very difficult to write down all of the names at grass roots when you are likely to receive it just before kick off.

When cautioning or sending off a player you don't even need to write their full name down, just a first name, and first letter of surname if it is a common name like Dave or Steve, will do. At least then when you go to check the cards after the game and you cautioned Steve D wearing number 8, but the team sheet shows number 8 as someone called Brian, you know you have a problem, and if done straight at the end of the game you can sort it by talking to the team. If you are back at home then you can find Steve D on the team sheet and report that name, if there is no Steve D on there then the team are in a lot more trouble than you are. Ideally write the full name down, but that is sometimes easier said than done if they have a long name or it is freezing.

If you do not have the team sheet or player names (Sunday League), then you should:
  1. Approach and then isolate the player.
  2. Ask for his full name.
  3. Explain your decision (i.e "I am sending you off for excessive force in that tackle/challenge")
  4. Show card.
You then avoid issues of the player not giving you his name.

NEVER show the red card before you take his name!

With teamsheets and confidence that the numbers correlate correctly then a quick card can sometimes be warranted to prevent further misconduct.
I’m a lot of cases it’s absolutely fine to slow it down and follow the process. Isolate, name, explain (if not obvious), card.

Without teamsheets I would definitely NOT be using quick cards and relying on team mates to give names. What would you do if the team mate says “don’t know ref, I’m new to the team”.
You have to follow the process if you’re not given a team sheet.

If you do not have the team sheet or player names (Sunday League), then you should:
  1. Approach and then isolate the player.
  2. Ask for his full name.
  3. Explain your decision (i.e "I am sending you off for excessive force in that tackle/challenge")
  4. Show card.
You then avoid issues of the player not giving you his name.

NEVER show the red card before you take his name!
NEVER say 'NEVER'

As with any 'official' process, common sense should also guide us. Slavishly following rules rarely leads to good places.

For example, I'm not asking for a name if I know it already - particularly if the player knows I know it as that just winds them up. So :
- not for a second yellow
- not for a captain assuming we've done the intro thing prior to KO
- not for a player I know because I've refereed him several times before (I think happens more frequently as you go up the levels). In that case I'll usually address him using his name

As with any 'official' process, common sense should also guide us. Slavishly following rules rarely leads to good places.

For example, I'm not asking for a name if I know it already - particularly if the player knows I know it as that just winds them up. So :
- not for a second yellow
- not for a captain assuming we've done the intro thing prior to KO
- not for a player I know because I've refereed him several times before (I think happens more frequently as you go up the levels). In that case I'll usually address him using his name
That's fine, observers will only really pick up a problem if you are flashing cards. As long as you isolate the player they can't really tell whether you are taking their name or not.

Can do if you like. Initials will just confuse them IMO, but whatever works for you.

As I say, most leagues around the world just go with the team sheet and correlate numbers, it's only really lower levels in England where that's deemed unacceptable for some reason. So for me, at the level I mostly work at, I can mostly trust the team sheets to be reliable and this is essentially pantomime to keep observers happy.

I'll double check names if the player seems amenable or if possible if it's a red card, but I'm not particularly keen on adding unnecessary contact time with a player who's aggrieved to be seeing yellow, or slowing the game down further if a player has committed SPA/delaying the restart to try and hang onto a lead late in the game. Everyone benefits from getting those ones done quickly, getting the player away from you ASAP and getting the game moving.

What you choose to do depends on what your main objective is and how much you trust the team sheets at the level you're working at, and I will never fault a referee for being extra-diligent. I just personally don't like this outdated system we're still expected to use.
Cheers for your advice a few months ago Graeme, I referred back to this thread recently with a few thoughts. I've been thinking of using write-on stickers to put on my cards, but to use them I would obviously need a team sheet with numbers corresponding to the player's names. I can trust the team sheets at some matches I do, but not in say Sunday league. What if I were to use them in Sunday league, trusting the team sheet, and in the end find out he's given me a number that isn't on the team sheet? If I were to find myself in this situation, which I know I shouldn't, what is the solution?

For me the way to avoid this would be to write the team sheets out with the numbers on my match card, summon the player I wish to caution/send off, verify that No.17 is indeed "John Smith", and problem solved. However with this method, there's a good chance that I caution a player that's name is on the team sheet but with a different number, in which case using write-on stickers could turn confusing.

Cheers for your advice a few months ago Graeme, I referred back to this thread recently with a few thoughts. I've been thinking of using write-on stickers to put on my cards, but to use them I would obviously need a team sheet with numbers corresponding to the player's names. I can trust the team sheets at some matches I do, but not in say Sunday league. What if I were to use them in Sunday league, trusting the team sheet, and in the end find out he's given me a number that isn't on the team sheet? If I were to find myself in this situation, which I know I shouldn't, what is the solution?

For me the way to avoid this would be to write the team sheets out with the numbers on my match card, summon the player I wish to caution/send off, verify that No.17 is indeed "John Smith", and problem solved. However with this method, there's a good chance that I caution a player that's name is on the team sheet but with a different number, in which case using write-on stickers could turn confusing.
I have some card stickers which I can actually write full names on. And I have a different set for when I trust team sheets.

For red cards it does change based on the offence. E.g.

SFP - if there isn’t a mass con, I will take time to follow proper procedure - but if it’s heated already, I will flash the card quickly to try and avoid WW3.

VC - I wait until it has calmed down, as flashing a red card whilst they are fighting won’t help anything.

OFFINABUS - I do flash the card for this as I am not a fan of speaking to someone who is being plain nasty. (I flashed a sinbin card in an observed game and explained that if someone is irate, it removes them from the situation quickly to avoid more issues - he agreed)

SPITTING - Never had to deal with (touch wood)

2nd Yellow - always explain - unless they know and start walking off already.

However… I will admit that there have been times when I have rockstar moments and so flash them…. But I try to follow the above!

Back