A&H

Rain!!

It's not just about safety - it's playability. If the ball is stopping in the middle of the field then it just turns the game into a farce (although as a junior we always loved it when half a dozen players were in a puddle kicking madly at the ball!).

The Referee Store
It's not just about safety - it's playability. If the ball is stopping in the middle of the field then it just turns the game into a farce (although as a junior we always loved it when half a dozen players were in a puddle kicking madly at the ball!).
Play on, it’s fun, never been unsafe! It’s the games you remember over the season! :cool: Same for both teams!

Of course there is a limit but a few puddles here and there and the odd boggy area always adds to the fun! Don’t look for excuses to spoil what is an expensive a fun pastime not a job!

Do we really want to be putting ourselves in a situation where the ball is holding up in random parts of the pitch and players are just throwing kicks left right and centre trying to get it out?

@Abeverley what has to be considered is not just is the pitch playable, but will it last the duration. If there’s puddles, general bogs around the place and it’s lashing down with rain, the likelihood is it’s just going to get worse and more dangerous.

My thereshold is usually standing water on or around the centre spot and goal mouth. You don’t want a goalkeeper getting their leg stuff in the ground whilst twisting, and the majority of the running will happen around the centre circle.

And just remember, it’s for your safety as much as it is theirs. I speak from experience as I once tore my LCL when I quickly turned and my foot got caught in the ground.

We're no longer in the 1970s where games were played in farcical situations. Player safety has to come above everything else these days, and therefore if there are any significant areas of the pitch where the ball won't roll or bounce it isn't playable. Likewise if there are any areas where if you plant a foot in it your boot sinks to above the laces that isn't playable. A player running at speed and hitting that kind of surface is at massive risk of breaking their ankle.

We're no longer in the 1970s where games were played in farcical situations. Player safety has to come above everything else these days, and therefore if there are any significant areas of the pitch where the ball won't roll or bounce it isn't playable. Likewise if there are any areas where if you plant a foot in it your boot sinks to above the laces that isn't playable. A player running at speed and hitting that kind of surface is at massive risk of breaking their ankle.
Player safety?? Complete and utter rubbish..... football played on these pitches for more than 120 years before the drama police took over...

Show me some stats that wet / puddled pitches are more unsafe than bone dry ones. I know which one most players prefer. Yes there are limits but within reason, do your best to get a game played.

Last edited:
Show me some stats that wet / playing sled pitches are more unsafe than bone dry ones. I know which one most players prefer. Yes there are limits but within reason, do your best to get a game played.
I agree, the concrete pitches we've been playing on down south all September are far more dangerous than anything after too much rain. I'm a convert on this subject following other similar discussions on here. If both teams are keen to play in a bog, i'd find it very difficult to act on behalf of the Nanny State by saying no

I’ve seen more injuries on 4G than and bogged pitch. Should we be calling them off? You could chip a nail! 😂
Injuries that were caused by the playing surface? I highly doubt that!!
@Abeverley arrive at the ground a little earlier than normal if you think the game is at risk due to the pitch. Go straight to the field of play and walk on it..I would advise wearing your boots for this.. If there are large patches of Standing water then it's not playable. If you're not sure you can do a ball test. Ask for a ball and kick it around the field and bounce it on the pitch to see how the ball responds.

There's a v. good resource in the resources section with more info

https://www.refchat.co.uk/resources/pitch-inspection-advice.27/

Player safety?? Complete and utter rubbish..... football played on these pitches for more than 120 years before the drama police took over...

That isn't especially helpful advice for new referees, and certainly isn't in line with official advice given out. If the ball won't bounce or roll, especially in high traffic areas of the pitch, the game shouldn't be played. Just because your granddad's granddad would have played it in his day doesn't mean the same approach and principles apply today.

That isn't especially helpful advice for new referees, and certainly isn't in line with official advice given out. If the ball won't bounce or roll, especially in high traffic areas of the pitch, the game shouldn't be played. Just because your granddad's granddad would have played it in his day doesn't mean the same approach and principles apply today.
No, and I think sometimes Shef seems to forget that referees are actually asking for help and is too happy trolling everyone instead.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
The expected rain didn’t come and it turned out to be almost perfect playing surface.

Really enjoyed my first match. Nothing too major to deal with.
I gave a penalty which, with hindsight, was probably harsh (and possibly outside the area) and a few corners/goal kicks where the reactions to my decision was makes me think it was incorrect.
All in all though, I think I did well and look forward to next time.
No cards or anything. Nipped a bit of dissent in the bud early on and only had to have a chat with one player (frustrated at losing and having poor quality team-mates).

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
The expected rain didn’t come and it turned out to be almost perfect playing surface.

Really enjoyed my first match. Nothing too major to deal with.
I gave a penalty which, with hindsight, was probably harsh (and possibly outside the area) and a few corners/goal kicks where the reactions to my decision was makes me think it was incorrect.
All in all though, I think I did well and look forward to next time.
No cards or anything. Nipped a bit of dissent in the bud early on and only had to have a chat with one player (frustrated at losing and having poor quality team-mates).

You’ll have games like that and it’s perfectly normal to so, especially early on in your career. The important thing is if there’s a player reaction that you don’t back down, you stay confident in your decision. I sometimes say ‘I apologise if I made a mistake, I’m only human’ or something on the lines of that but just don’t change your mind. If you do that, players will learn you’re easily swayed. It’s also worth mentioning that even if you’re 100% correct, a few people are bound to moan which is another reason to just stick to the decision.

You’ll have games like that and it’s perfectly normal to so, especially early on in your career. The important thing is if there’s a player reaction that you don’t back down, you stay confident in your decision. I sometimes say ‘I apologise if I made a mistake, I’m only human’ or something on the lines of that but just don’t change your mind. If you do that, players will learn you’re easily swayed. It’s also worth mentioning that even if you’re 100% correct, a few people are bound to moan which is another reason to just stick to the decision.
Thanks for that.
I was expecting to have people ask me at half time about the penalty but I heard the coach tell the player that if he’s gonna hand ball it there he’s gonna give a penalty.
Both teams were really well behaved really.
Think I got a nice break-in game.
I’ve been doing men’s 5 and 6-a-side to get used to dealing with players before I move into open age.
The one kid I ‘told off’ sulked like my 12 year old lol

Back