A&H

QAT:ECU Matchday 1 - Orsato (ITA)

The Referee Store
@santa sangria has it bang on.

Looked back at the replay on Iplayer. When the Ecuadorian attacker challenges the Qatari goalkeeper, the Qatari #16 becomes the last defender, and Qatari #1 becomes the second to last, putting the offside line on him.

At the point of this challenge, the Ecuadorian attacker, whose number I can't see, has his front foot offside. The ball then spills, with no other player touching it, until the Ecuadorian attacker comes back from his offside position and plays the ball.

I hope that makes sense...

One extreme to the other. In PL, we get countless replays...

Not convinced it was an attempt for the ball by the keeper, but ok, it's the way the game is ref'd at the top so who am I to argue ....

Brilliant attempted advantage ahead of the Ecuador penalty. The chance is still there, albeit tough, no goal, so penalty given.

So good to see

One extreme to the other. In PL, we get countless replays...

Not convinced it was an attempt for the ball by the keeper, but ok, it's the way the game is ref'd at the top so who am I to argue ....
Our posts crossed, but it’s not DOGSO because the chance was still there for a teammate. Ergo, caution is correct.

Now take the offside out of the equation for a moment, but 20 minutes in, a mother penalty for clattering the attacker making the header?

Being mischievous here but perhaps? Bench seemed to think so!

Now take the offside out of the equation for a moment, but 20 minutes in, a mother penalty for clattering the attacker making the header?

Being mischievous here but perhaps? Bench seemed to think so!
First time I'd seen it I though Defensive DFK. Either that or nothing for me, not a penalty in my eyes

Our posts crossed, but it’s not DOGSO because the chance was still there for a teammate. Ergo, caution is correct.
Doesn’t have to be a good attempt. No way, no how any GK is going to get sent off on that play. Attempt is very broadly interpreted.

Got to score with that header! :eek:

Referee not allowing any yard stealing at throw in, player sent back to virtually the exact blade of grass, makes a change from what we see in the Premier League every week.

Just what was needed, a controversial decision for the controversial hosts in a controversial World Cup within 2 minutes 😂

But yeh right call. Took me a while to see it but yeh a great offside call. Seen a few people bringing out the whole “but defender was there” and “when did law change” on Twitter but whilst tight was technically right call

Good call. Impossible to spot without the VAR and could be used by commentators to educate the public a bit. Problem is they had no clue themselves. To all those who say "that's not what VAR was brought for" I would just say that in this case we should do away with the offside rule.

FT: QAT 0 - 2 ECU

Cautions: 6
Dismissals: 0

Notable Incidents (from what I saw)

- Disallowed Goal for ECU - VAR (Offside) 5'
- Penalty for ECU - Scored 16'

Thoughts on the game and officiating?

Competent officiating performance, although the ref does love his whistle - began to get on my nerves after a while.

Also couldn't help noticing he had a yellow whistle and what looked like a wedding ring on - I know at least one observer who would have had him on both of those !

FT: QAT 0 - 2 ECU

Cautions: 6
Dismissals: 0

Notable Incidents (from what I saw)

- Disallowed Goal for ECU - VAR (Offside) 5'
- Penalty for ECU - Scored 16'

Thoughts on the game and officiating?
Ors has a very original style of signaling, slow and deliberate, oftern facing ahead, and not back at the incident area - which you just cannot do in normal football.

The ARs flagging while moving drives me nuts - I know it’s normal in some countries but it looks rubbish and again - just don’t do it. Flag standing still.

Back