A&H

Premier League Matchweek 1 discussion

Good referee trying too hard (for the observer). Too busy
He's always on the move. His work-rate was exceptional
Excessive movement if there is such a thing!
No doubt he'll relax as time goes on
There are no Observers as such in the PL or Championship.

A&H International
I disagree, there's clear movement of Schar's head towards Diaz but of course he totally milked it. We will never know if Pawson would of went red regardless if Diaz fell to the ground but you like to think he would of and he wasn't genuinely fooled by the contact.

Argument perhaps Diaz could of seen 2 yellows in one there, one for the shove and one for the heads going together, would be a big call to make and the ref would no doubt be accused of trying to even it up.
Both players are guilty of exactly the same crime (stupidity AKA AAA) but Diaz cheats and Shar gets sent off
All we're doing is encouraging cheating

Anyway, I don't really care so much as Mags got the points and I'm confident they'll appeal and he'll get off
If I'm wrong, I look forward to more cheating later in the season and consistency seeing first player to hitting the deck to get the other one sent off
Pathetic, all of it and referees are at fault because it's us that encourage this clowning around

Last edited:
Both players are guilty of exactly the same crime (stupidity AKA AAA) but Diaz cheats and Shar gets sent off
All we're doing is encouraging cheating

Anyway, I don't really care so much as Mags got the points and I'm confident they'll appeal and he'll get off
If I'm wrong, I look forward to more cheating later in the season and consistency seeing first player to hitting the deck to get the other one sent off
Pathetic, all of it and referees are at fault because it's us that encourage this clowning around
It won’t be rescinded on appeal, but that doesn’t mean to say the blown over with a feather player won’t receive something additional.

It won’t be rescinded on appeal, but that doesn’t mean to say the blown over with a feather player won’t receive something additional.
I bow to your superior knowledge about all things FA/PGMOL etc.... but head to head contact without force has not attracted S2 for a number of years now. This dismissal seems like a backward step. I'm sure you agree that this nonsense should be stopped

The FA's rhetoric on participant behavioural misconduct towards Match Officials is... 'to ignore it, is to encourage it'
Why can't we get serious about cheating and clamp down with the same rhetoric? I might be in the minority, but I'm genuinely more perturbed by this pathetic behaviour in the game than I am about behaviour towards Match Officials

I bow to your superior knowledge about all things PGMOL etc.... but head to head contact without force has not attracted S2 for a number of years now. This dismissal seems like a backward step. I'm sure you agree that this nonsense should be stopped

Agree this is an "unless the force used is negligible" scenario. It's not brutal. It's not excessive force. Can understand on field decision. Surprised VAR did not intervene.

I would hope that action is taken against the Southampton player

Agree this is an "unless the force used is negligible" scenario. It's not brutal. It's not excessive force. Can understand on field decision. Surprised VAR did not intervene.

Yes - me too, since that was cheating/form of simulation.

I bow to your superior knowledge about all things FA/PGMOL etc.... but head to head contact without force has not attracted S2 for a number of years now. This dismissal seems like a backward step. I'm sure you agree that this nonsense should be stopped

The FA's rhetoric on participant behavioural misconduct towards Match Officials is... 'to ignore it, is to encourage it'
Why can't we get serious about cheating and clamp down with the same rhetoric? I might be in the minority, but I'm genuinely more perturbed by this pathetic behaviour in the game than I am about behaviour towards Match Officials
I am surprised by your final concerning behaviour towards Match Officials. One way to stop cheating/simulation is to site guilty players once confirmed on footage.

I'd like to know PGMOL's explanation for this. Diaz commits a yellow card offence, then goes head to head, then fakes injury. As you say, they've got to stamp this out.

I am surprised by your final concerning behaviour towards Match Officials. One way to stop cheating/simulation is to site guilty players once confirmed on footage.
I've always been consistent regarding 'cheating'. You just haven't been around the forum for long enough to appreciate this
I'm not diminishing the importance of improving behaviour towards Match Officials, but it's a clear second behind cheating IMO

I've always been consistent regarding 'cheating'. You just haven't been around the forum for long enough to appreciate this
I'm not diminishing the importance of improving behaviour towards Match Officials, but it's a clear second behind cheating IMO
You give the impression that cheating/simulation/feigning injury is more important than surrounding a referee, abusing a referee or an assault on a Referee & that just can’t be right. That’s like saying a Technical offence is more serious than a penal offence.

Last edited:

Agree with everything in your post except 'can understand the on field decision'
I think the decision was wrong. Admittedly, I'm vociferous about it as it's Newcastle, but I'd back myself to be unbiased
On a long standing basis, I've never rated Pawson. So that feeds into my conclusion more than the teams involved

Agree with everything in your post except 'can understand the on field decision'
I think the decision was wrong. Admittedly, I'm vociferous about it as it's Newcastle, but I'd back myself to be unbiased
On a long standing basis, I've never rated Pawson. So that feeds into my conclusion more than the teams involved
By understand the on-field decision, I mean he was deceived by the reaction of the Southampton player so I can see why he went with a red card.

cheating/simulation/feigning injury is more important than surrounding a referee
Definitely
You give the impression that cheating/simulation/feigning injury is more important than surrounding a referee, abusing a referee
On a par I guess
You give the impression that cheating/simulation/feigning injury is more important than surrounding a referee, abusing a referee or an assault on a Referee
No, incorrect. Assaulting a Match Official is much much worse than cheating. Completely different kettle of fish

Back