A&H

Pre-Season Training

A&H International
Fully expecting to have knee issues when I am older. I just hope I get to do some of the things I want to do post refereeing before they give way.
Don't panic ! I did my ACL in my 30s. Still going strong at L3 nearer 60 than 50 and doing plenty of other physically demanding sport. Just need to be smart in avoiding too much of the stuff that wears down the vulnerable bits - in my case my knee and my lower back - and making adjustments before it's too late. My only significant compromise is fewer long runs, which I do miss, but it's obviously the sensible thing to do

Fully expecting to have knee issues when I am older. I just hope I get to do some of the things I want to do post refereeing before they give way.
The key thing is don't ignore your body. I did, repeatedly, and refereed a lot of games where I had pain and was relying on painkillers, now wish I hadn't. If it is hurting during games or training, other than the usual muscle soreness, it should be time to have a rest even if that means missing games.

Don't panic ! I did my ACL in my 30s. Still going strong at L3 nearer 60 than 50 and doing plenty of other physically demanding sport. Just need to be smart in avoiding too much of the stuff that wears down the vulnerable bits - in my case my knee and my lower back - and making adjustments before it's too late. My only significant compromise is fewer long runs, which I do miss, but it's obviously the sensible thing to do
Well my plans in the future involve ultra marathons (upto 100 miles) so long running will be a must. I run mix of trail and road, probably 60/40 road/trail so perhaps need to keep off the roads. All dependent on where the referee career goes. There will come a time where progression is no longer likely or achievable and I think that will be me back to local football and observing and set off on my ultra journey.
The key thing is don't ignore your body. I did, repeatedly, and refereed a lot of games where I had pain and was relying on painkillers, now wish I hadn't. If it is hurting during games or training, other than the usual muscle soreness, it should be time to have a rest even if that means missing games.
Absolutely. I dont have any issues now... I did have bad knees when I was doing 3 games on a Sunday and just ran through it c. 12 years ago and I cut down on that when I stopped junior's. Whilst I have no current issue I am under no illusion the load I put through my legs road and trail running as well as reffing will eventually take its toll. I'm doing c. 800 miles running a year on top of reffing.
I have recently dusted the bike off in a bid to take offload the legs abit and hopefully that will help.

So at the age of 41 I’ve decided to do the couch to 5k. I’ve just completed week 2 and not gonna lie have found it tough. I knew I was unfit but doing this has really opened my eyes to just how unfit I was. Quite looking forward to completing this challenge and tackling the league fitness test on the 15th July. One thing I have noticed though is that im really struggling with pain in my lower back whilst running, although since buying a decent pair of trainers this has subsided a bit but still there. I’m also not getting pain in my Achilles or calf’s anymore. Hoping the back pain is only temporary and will improve as my fitness improves

So at the age of 41 I’ve decided to do the couch to 5k. I’ve just completed week 2 and not gonna lie have found it tough. I knew I was unfit but doing this has really opened my eyes to just how unfit I was. Quite looking forward to completing this challenge and tackling the league fitness test on the 15th July. One thing I have noticed though is that im really struggling with pain in my lower back whilst running, although since buying a decent pair of trainers this has subsided a bit but still there. I’m also not getting pain in my Achilles or calf’s anymore. Hoping the back pain is only temporary and will improve as my fitness improves
Keep going - well done!

im really struggling with pain in my lower back whilst running,
Your lower back is likely weak.

Exercises will help.

Kettle bell swings and deadlifts.

Obviously there is a million reasons your lower back is in pain, but if you're doing couch to 5k, I will assume your lower back needs strengthened.

Quick addition, strengthening your lower back whilst continuing to run will leave you really sore in the short term (2-3 weeks) but will eventually show results.

If it’s any consolation, I did my marathon in 3:09, I’m looking to break a 1:30 half in September and I ran just over 37 mins for 10k the other day and a recent 17:59 5k (yes I’m showing off, I’ve worked hard and I’m proud of it)…. But… the point I was going to make is, I still get lower back pain when running.

Back pain is often linked to your gait being unnatural whilst running, especially if you're carrying more than a little extra "lardage" around your middle. A sensible diet and moderate exercise is always the best way forward ....

Well my plans in the future involve ultra marathons (upto 100 miles) so long running will be a must. I run mix of trail and road, probably 60/40 road/trail so perhaps need to keep off the roads. All dependent on where the referee career goes. There will come a time where progression is no longer likely or achievable and I think that will be me back to local football and observing and set off on my ultra journey.

Absolutely. I dont have any issues now... I did have bad knees when I was doing 3 games on a Sunday and just ran through it c. 12 years ago and I cut down on that when I stopped junior's. Whilst I have no current issue I am under no illusion the load I put through my legs road and trail running as well as reffing will eventually take its toll. I'm doing c. 800 miles running a year on top of reffing.
I have recently dusted the bike off in a bid to take offload the legs abit and hopefully that will help.
My guess is you'll start to suffer Achilles problems before your knees start complaining.

I took up 5 & 10k racing when I was in my mid thirties and my dodgy back meant I couldn't do football/rugby/athletics any more. I had a good 10 years competing at veterans level all over the South and really enjoyed it but shortly after qualifying as a football referee in 2012 (at age 46) my Achilles started to tell me my body was starting to crumble. Like Rusty, I tended to ignore it and ended up requiring surgery.

Knees tend to be more robust than you imagine unless you're running regularly with extra weight on your back (ask any para/commando). ;)

Any back problems I might get have been alleviated by regular swimming. I've never really been into swimming but the Health Club I've joined has got an outdoor pool that's open 12 months of the year. I've noticed that to do front crawl efficiently, you really need strong dorsal muscles otherwise your legs start to sink when tired and that slows you down massively

I also go to Thai massage regularly, but I won't talk about that too much ;)

If it’s any consolation, I did my marathon in 3:09, I’m looking to break a 1:30 half in September and I ran just over 37 mins for 10k the other day and a recent 17:59 5k (yes I’m showing off, I’ve worked hard and I’m proud of it)…. But… the point I was going to make is, I still get lower back pain when running.
How old are you x-man?

Under 18 5k is nice!

33 years old 🤣 started running last year!
Previously my refereeing was pretty much the only running I did. As the old saying goes, we should get fit to referee not referee to get fit!
Some serious numbers there @RefereeX considering you've just started!

Let's say you must have hit the ground... Running 🥁

In all seriousness great numbers.

I injured a deltoid and maybe a rotator cuff when playing in a Vets match 5 weeks ago
Think Chris Kay will be thinking I'm playing the game (not 'on the game') if I tell him I can Ref but not Assist. Can't raise the flag with my right arm, but could point for a CK strangely.......
Bit worried I might be reffing County League for a while cos injury seems to be getting worse, not better
Am falling apart

Back